Determining legality of particular lane please?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
-Ralph-

Determining legality of particular lane please?

Post by -Ralph- »

The lane runs from Thorpe Langton in Leicestershire north to Stonton Wyville, then a second lane continues North, then turns East towards Shangton onto an old Roman Road.

http://binged.it/ZGuWXW

According to Trailwise its in three sections

Field Road UID SP7394-01 http://www.trailwise.org.uk/do_quickfin ... =SP7394-01

SP7396-02 http://www.trailwise.org.uk/do_quickfin ... =SP7396-02

Gartree Road http://www.trailwise.org.uk/do_quickfin ... =SP7197-01

Now I know Trailwise can get out of date, so I usually check the council website an this is what has me doubting/confused

If you use the online map

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/environme ... thsmap.htm

it's not on there, Maybe this is because it's not a Byway? It's on the OS map as 'other route with public access'

There are no TRO's listed in this area

http://www.leics.gov.uk/index/highways/ ... orough.htm

So what other source can I use without going to the county hall to view the definitive map. Would 'other route with public access' even be listed on the definitive map?

At the moment I'm thinking it's legal. I want to get it right as I'm planning on taking my neighbour down there this afternoon in his Land Rover as he wants to see the two fords that are on this route. I would hate for me to tell him it's legal, then he gets into trouble as the driver/owner of the vehicle.

Thanks
PS: out of interest for those that want to know, these are the fords

http://www.wetroads.co.uk/dp.php?Thorpe%20Langton1
http://www.wetroads.co.uk/dp.php?Shangton%20Grange1
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
special one

Re: Determining legality of particular lane please?

Post by special one »

Can't help with the legal stuff but take a load of pics if you do go :)
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

It's not on the council website as it won't be on the Definitive Map, as an Unclassified County Road it should be listed on the "List of Streets" as a route maintainable at public expense. It might be worth searching the council website for it, it might be listed as something like the "gazetter of roads/streets"

As far as I am aware all these routes are open to vehicles.
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Mad Cow wrote:As far as I am aware all these routes are open to vehicles.
Though there's nothing preventing a council slapping a TRO on one if it's required?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

A TRO has to be signed where ever the lane is question meets/crosses a more major route or it cannot be enforced.

Before a TRO can be imposed it has to be advertised so objections can be made.

The TRF has stopped or reduced many TROs: either by making input at the consultation stage or by taking court action.

www.trf.org.uk

The TRF is also the only rights of way organisation that actually takes court action to preserve vehicular rights. The TRF has spent £70,000 on this in the last year alone. It only costs £45 to join the TRF for a year.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Apologies for late reply, been to the Isle of Man for the weekend.
All 3 are UCR's and legal. Not ridden them for a while but no TRO's as far as I'm aware and nothing raised on our club site(LARF).
Any problems let me know and I will tackle the Council about them.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
timmyhifi

Post by timmyhifi »

Hi there, don't know if this helps, but ORPAs (other routes with public access) are open to vehicular access. They won't be listed as byways quite often, but email your council to confirm.
Angry farmer

Post by Angry farmer »

I've got the definitive answer to this question. Ride courteously and show respect to all other user and both these tracks will probably remain open to all vehicles. Rip up the tracks, leave the gates open, frighten the sheep, or endanger the lives of my children by riding too fast through the villages, and they will probably very soon be sufficient evidence to support a restriction on both these routes. Moreover, any motorcyclist or four wheel driver who fails to demonstrate respect to the country code, had better stick very strictly to the legal routes. If as much as a moulding plug from a tyre touches private land and the driver has the misfortune of being spotted by any of our staff, the machinery caught damaging the land will be held subject to a release fee and report to police. I'm certain that the majority of riders/drivers are in support of this and therefore you are encouraged to spread the word and condem others who do not. If you've already met me on either of these tracks, I my well have passed the time of day with you and shared the sweetness of the season, otherwise I may have been angry and abused you using local expressions and even threatening physical violance (I suffer from a brain disorder that makes anger look like real anger). You'll spot me, I frown a lot.
special one

Post by special one »

Thanks for your first post mate, you sound just the sort of person we like here, not.

I wouldn't recommend threatening people with violence, or even abuse, i certainly wouldnt stand for it from you or anyone else i meet on trails, talking to people with respect is what I do and expect the same from others.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Please don't misjudge the farming community by thinking they are all like the bloke above.

The other Sunday I was up riding on the hills and missed my turning (lane I had not ridden before). I realised that I had gone wrong when I found myself approaching a farm yard. The farmer came out with his dogs on his quad.

I stopped and took my helmet off...and guess what?

The guy was really friendly; his concern was members of a rural ethnic community had been visiting farmyards on (stolen) bikes checking out the diesel tanks, tool stores etc.

The guy not only showed me which way the legal right of way went, he even held the gate open for me.

He said he didn't mind motorbikes providing they kept to the tracks: walkers letting their dogs chase his sheep were his main concern besides the 'tinkers'.

So, I would always advise riders to stop and talk...I do, and in the many years I've been riding I've only had what might be termed 2 or 3 unfriendly encounters.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”