An Alternative Stove

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mark1961

An Alternative Stove

Post by Mark1961 »

Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Bushman_uk

Re: An Alternative Stove

Post by Bushman_uk »

Don't see the point in using that at all , why not just an open fire with the grill as the pan support. If you are worried about leaving a blot on the landscape , just get your knife into the ground about an 40mm and cut three sides and roll the earth back, after your fire and it's all extinguished just roll the earth back and leave no trace !
lmg

Post by lmg »

looks interesting - he seems to have a Swedish Trangia in the opening few shots :)
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

lmg wrote:looks interesting - he seems to have a Swedish Trangia in the opening few shots :)
If you go to the link at the bottom of the opening post. It shows another video on how to use it with the Trangia.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

Warthog

Post by Warthog »

I have something similar: a Firespout 100.
I did not know about the Honey stove when I bought it. Had I known, I'd probably have gone for the Honey stove as it has more options as standard, but now that I have the FS100 and my home made solutions, I'm glad I have that instead.

The +'s over the Honey stove are that seems sturdier and is a single piece that opens into shape: no parts to lose and packs very flat. Downsides are that it does not come with with a trangia burner option.

I have since made my own trangia holder for the FS100. I have also made a storage case/fire platform (for snowy/damp conditions). I can now cook over wood, or meths, in the dry or on a pile of snow. I can fry, barbecue, simmer and boil, or just enjoy a little camp fire before turning in. The FS100 is now my stove of choice if I head out into the Estonian forests for a weekend camp!

The point of these is that they make a fire far easier to start and far more efficient as all the heat get channeled straight up. A fire is more controlable particularly in an area with a bush fire risk and they are more versatile in how you can use that fire. If you just pack the FS100, it packs down to the size of an A5 envelope and is about 7mm thick.

I like my Fire Spout: I even pack it when I'm out walking the dogs: find a nice spot by the forzen sea, lit up, sit on my rucksack and read a book by the fire while the dogs lark about!
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

From the picture you can see it can be used with the trangia burner by just using 4 sides. There are slots in the sides that will hold the burner in place. see pictures...
397_E.jpg
397_E.jpg (377.23 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

In use......
getimg.gif
getimg.gif (66.89 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

Warthog

Post by Warthog »

By contrast here are some Fire Spout pics in action.

When I'd just made the trangia holder:
IMG_0066.jpg
IMG_0066.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Being used with hot coals:
IMG_0258.jpg
IMG_0258.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
Packed away:
misc 211.jpg
misc 211.jpg (45.82 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
My bodges and the stove:
misc 212.jpg
misc 212.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 1942 times
I think these styles of stove make for a nice alternative that add to the camping experience, and are more environmental friendly, too!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”