Damned Beemer clutch

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
scouse

Re: Damned Beemer clutch

Post by scouse »

Jim could be worth checking the water pump seals and shaft as well while it is off

http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/Water_Pump_Seal_Repair_FAQ.htm which will mean draining the fluids!
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
africajim

Re: Damned Beemer clutch update

Post by africajim »

Well, following my run this weekend I've decided to make a start to the repairs as the clutch is getting worse. I've fixed the camchain problem, the adjuster was stuck inside itself? Ever been seen before? I eventually got the inside to pop out, refitted it and it's quieter now, doesn't sound like a cement mixer any more!
I drained the water and oil this afternoon, removed the casing studs, I've broken one but I think it might come out easy enough. The casing doesn't want to come off without a fight but I'll resume battle later in the week! I'll update as I go along how the job goes.
Unfortunately the Ickle Beemer is now off the road temporarily! Plus side is Fiona says I can borrow her GS if I want! Woo hoo!
Honda, the power of dreams.
africajim

Post by africajim »

Ok, I need quick advice. I've inspected the clutch and all plates look the same. There's about 1mm of step on the cork plates, is this normal?
If I could see serious wear then I could replace the parts but as it seems ok I'm at a loss. It could be the oil used previously, I know I used proper oil. My options are to put washers in to beef up the springs and make do or replace all plates and springs as a kit.
Opinions please?
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

africajim wrote:Ok, I need quick advice. I've inspected the clutch and all plates look the same. There's about 1mm of step on the cork plates, is this normal?
If I could see serious wear then I could replace the parts but as it seems ok I'm at a loss. It could be the oil used previously, I know I used proper oil. My options are to put washers in to beef up the springs and make do or replace all plates and springs as a kit.
Opinions please?
Hi Jim
Don't know about the Beemers, but the Ducati wet clutch is oil sensitive, semi synthetic and all's well, use fully synthetic and you have clutch slip.
Just wonder if yours might be the same.
Oh almost forgot clutch stack height was critical on the Duke, ditto master cylinder reservoir level.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
africajim

Post by africajim »

Cheers Mark, what I've read is the opposite oil wise. Semi synth induces slip, fully synth is better!
Never mind, I've bit the bullet and went for the new clutch kit. £98 from Motorworks.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Are the teeth worn on the rack and pinion at all...

And yes Fully synth is supposed to be better.

And a big hide mallet is your friend ripping the cases of the ickle ones! The paint is notorious for being ground off the faces and is loose on the edges of the cases...if you use levers you chip it off... form over function which is true Italian design innit, sniff ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
africajim

Post by africajim »

The grand finale to this post!

I received the clutch today, much thanks to Willie Young Motorcycles in Elgin, Morayshire. Ordered yesterday from EBC and picked it up today! And that's an IV postcode!

Fitted the clutch plates and springs tonight, heavy duty clutch from EBC, £69.00. Filled the oil and water then tried it running, seems to be fine. Off to Aberdeen with it tomorrow with SteveT to test ride the new Tiger 800XC! Whoopee!
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

africajim wrote:Off to Aberdeen with it tomorrow with SteveT to test ride the new Tiger 800XC! Whoopee!
You got recovery? :) ;) :whistle: cos I ain't dragging that lump behind me . . . . . or the bike :lol:

Rain, rain go away. Come back another day (or even better, somewhere else :) )
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride

Return to “TECHNICAL”