Scotland, Grampian in the wintertime.

Where you've been and what you done
africajim

Scotland, Grampian in the wintertime.

Post by africajim »

Hi all, well following my post regarding a ride out today,,,,, well,,,, nobody was interested! Sooooooooo,,,, I went myself!(I had a feeling that would be the case, mention snow, the Lecht ski centre, dead cert nobody wants to come! LOL! )
I decided to head from the Moray coast inland following the Spey valley, a couple of stops on Speyside, firstly at the Telford bridge at Craigellachie, lit up in the winter, it's a stunning tribute to Telford.

TelfordbridgeCraigellachie.jpg
TelfordbridgeCraigellachie.jpg (241.18 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

I then stopped in Ballindalloch, just down from the Delnashaugh hotel, at the gate house to Ballindalloch castle! It might look familiar to some, this gate lodge was used as a back drop in the release photo shoot for the land rover Discovery!

Ballindallochcastlegate.jpg
Ballindallochcastlegate.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

PackhorsebridgeGlenlivet.jpg
PackhorsebridgeGlenlivet.jpg (272.64 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

I then branched off, up to Glenlivet, where I had a bit of fun with a Mitsubishi EVO X! Damn! That car could go!I had a brief stop to take a pic at the Pack horse bridge in Bridge end of Glenlivet then pressed on to Tomintoul where I stopped at the Old Fire station cafe, where I had said I would have a break, just in case someone came up to meet me.

FireStation.jpg
FireStation.jpg (195.99 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

As usual, I couldn't resist having a play in the snow! I'm almost convinced the Honda XRV750 Africa Twin was not designed for the snow! The lardy arsed Honda sat down in the snow and refused to move unless dug down to the hard! This made moving the bike in snow covered areas and tracks pretty hard going! But good fun none the less!

Tomintoul01.jpg
Tomintoul01.jpg (165.82 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Tomintoul02.jpg
Tomintoul02.jpg (197.09 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

A brief stop and then onwards and upwards to the Lecht Ski centre. The mist was pretty thick heading up above 2000 feet, so the pic from the ski centre's not up to much!

Lechtcarpark.jpg
Lechtcarpark.jpg (174.24 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

I continued down to Corgarff and Cock bridge. Well, call it schoolboy mentality but had to stop and take the pic of the sign,,,, "COCK Bridge"!!! Fnar fnar! LOL!

cockbridge.jpg
cockbridge.jpg (176.47 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

I could see why the snow gates were closed last weekend, the drifts were pretty tall, possibly 6 feet in places! I continued into Strathdon where the snow cleared as I got into lower land so found a picnic area to have my brew!

Brewtime.jpg
Brewtime.jpg (310.54 KiB) Viewed 1373 times

I passed by the gates to Candacraig, Billy Connolly's property on Strathdon, but he wasn't at home today! ;)
I then headed back into the hills, up the Clashindarroch and over the hill to the Cabrach, where some snow was quite deep.
Back down into Dufftown, across to Craigellachie, Rothes and home via Orton.
120 miles for the afternoon, great fun was had! It's brilliant to see Scotland at this time of the year, the trees are bare and the snow makes it all look a bit winter wonderland!
A brilliant day out on the old Africa Twin, what a stunning old bike! Over 20yrs old but still gives me hours of fun and never lets me down! I hope you enjoy the pics!
Honda, the power of dreams.
Bianchi

Re: Scotland, Grampian in the wintertime.

Post by Bianchi »

Great write up Jim and some crackin pictures ,the big Africa
Twin looks awesome

Cheers

Dave
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

Nice one Jim

Your AT looks the business in the snow .

Cheers LWR
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

it was a tad too far for me, nice area for a trip though
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

africajim

Post by africajim »

Cheers guys, the @T is a brilliant bike, best fun I've had in yrs!
It may well look good and purposeful in the snow but when I went into parking areas to stop for pics the bike just sat down and dug holes! It was great fun getting it out again!
But it was brilliant to get out, saves me going stir crazy in the wintertime.
Here's one of the bike lying up against a drift!

Cabrach.jpg
Cabrach.jpg (187.44 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
jed54

Post by jed54 »

Jim I met you for a short at last years Boil rally and thought what a mad guy.
Now I'm convinced. Great report and pic's.
OddBod

Post by OddBod »

Jim, saw your thread last night but a bit icey to get the GS out the garage. Might have to ge a winter hack for next winter
africajim

Post by africajim »

OddBod wrote:Jim, saw your thread last night but a bit icey to get the GS out the garage. Might have to ge a winter hack for next winter
I love riding in the summer, brilliant to head north then west, into the heart of the Highlands, just absolutely love it,,,,, but,,,,,, a winter hack is the best fun ever! You don't have to worry too much about it, so you can ride in all kinds of weather and conditions. I always find winter so boring, but now enjoy the weekend coming so I can get out on the old hack!
You're welcome to join me any time mate, especially in the snow! It's a bummer trying to get the bike out of heavy snow by yourself! LOL!
I'd also agree with you, I wouldn't take my Crosstourer out in these conditions, next time maybe mate.
Just noticed you're in Alford, I've a couple of mates in Alford, one a great Africa Twin fanatic, he's on this forum occasionally, Raymo, the other guy, a bit of a wheeler and dealer called Kevin! (He's not wired up right, but a great mate! LOL!)Hope to see you out and about with us this season!
OddBod

Post by OddBod »

Jim ive a couple of mates in the Elgin/Lossie area as well being ex RAF; have to catch up sometime.
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Great stuff Jim.

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”