XTZ1200 throttle cables

The Things We Ride
Mike101

XTZ1200 throttle cables

Post by Mike101 »

Morning all,

Still looking for a bike that suits all i want and I'm taking another look at the S-10.

Everything looks great on the bike and i would be very interested apart form one thing.

Why have Yamaha routed the throttle cables like they have....right over the top over bars..in the way of everything.

It looks lazy and makes the bike look unbalanced and not symmetrical when sat on it.

Now I'm sure somebody will come back and say that it will make it easier to change the cables when in Mongolia..but 99% of the bikes will be ridden on the roads and not around the world.

I'm not sure what i expect to get from this post but i guess I'm so disappointed that a very very nice bike has been let down by a lazy piece of design. To me it seems like they forget to add the cables and had to put them somewhere so what they cam up with will have to do.

I'm don't really want to be yet another BMW clone but their product is just designed so much better.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
andyb43

Re: XTZ1200 throttle cables

Post by andyb43 »

Hi Mike you get used to them when your riding they are not noticable. Love the bike heavy when it is stopped but once moving it feels like a diffrent bike.
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

I know what you mean but I have had no prb's with them.
I have a sat/nav fitted and on occasion a blue tooth phone and again no prob's.

I love mine it's the best bike i have owned you won't be dissapointed.
There are a few faults with all bikes in someones eyes.
I hate the side stand but other users find it ok.

I get alot of attention at most bike meets because they are different.

BIG BILL
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

Thanks for the replies.

It's a long story that i've put on here before so i won't bore you again with it but i will be buying blind so to speak.

I can't test ride anything...new license...sort of.

The S-10 looks good to me and the price for a 2nd hand one is also good.

What MPG are you getting...i am comparing it the the GS.

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

Normaly 45-50mpg but I have had alot more out with my son on his 125 varadero.

I have never had below 40mpg and thats shifting it.

BIG BILL
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

The only time the cables bother me, is when i'm pressing the trip and and other buttons on the display whilst moving. You have to move them outta the way with the back of your hand. Apart from that i dont really notice them.
My MPG is brilliant on this bike.... tend to get 50 in the winter or if i'm riding spiritedly. In the summer i can easily get 55 with a bit of fast & sensible riding combined. These are real figures from constantly imputing figures into a fuel checker. Over the year i have averaged 52/53 mpg. The bikes fuel computer is optimistic and shows anything from 55 to 58 average.

I've recently done the clutch switch mod, which removes the restrictions in the first three gears. Only given it a short blast since doing it, but its transformed the bike.
I am expecting my fuel consumption to probably suffer though.... but i wont know for certain until i've done a few fill ups.

Edit... Just to add my bike is only ever in sports mode. I used touring mode once and didn't like it, so i never use it now.
yoda

Post by yoda »

Mike101 wrote:Morning all,

Still looking for a bike that suits all i want and I'm taking another look at the S-10.

Everything looks great on the bike and i would be very interested apart form one thing.

Why have Yamaha routed the throttle cables like they have....right over the top over bars..in the way of everything.

It looks lazy and makes the bike look unbalanced and not symmetrical when sat on it.

Now I'm sure somebody will come back and say that it will make it easier to change the cables when in Mongolia..but 99% of the bikes will be ridden on the roads and not around the world.

I'm not sure what i expect to get from this post but i guess I'm so disappointed that a very very nice bike has been let down by a lazy piece of design. To me it seems like they forget to add the cables and had to put them somewhere so what they cam up with will have to do.

I'm don't really want to be yet another BMW clone but their product is just designed so much better.

Mike
Can't say i'd noticed them on mine either, will look tonight. Bike preferences are very personal i know though i've just swapped from a GS after ten years on them and i have to say i'm very happy with the S10, well balanced, smooth and quiet, it might not hold the same residual value but i'd rather ride it than worry about that to much. None of them are bad, best bet is to try a few on test rides, you'll soon know which ones for you.
As regards so much better designed, that wasn't my thoughts when i had to split my 1200 in half to do all the gear box seals.

Enjoy which ever one you get.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.
gazxt1200z

Post by gazxt1200z »

Every bike iv'e ever had has one or two faults no matter how much i liked them,can't find any faults with this bike,i do alot of nightime riding even the lights are good and never really noticed the throttle cables.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

They bothered me at first but I have short arms (yes like a silverback) so I bought some risers and they moved out of the way.
spasm

Post by spasm »

buy one u will never wanna change it, best bike ive ever ridden and ive ridden plenty. i used a cable tie to pull my cables back slightly so it doesnt obscure the clocks. works fine for me. owned 2 years now, 18,000 miles and i cant keep my arse off the seat or the front wheel down, buy one and live ur life ;)
i only need one wheel .......... the rear

Return to “BIKES”