Rear tyre size? does it effect grip

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Tramp

Rear tyre size? does it effect grip

Post by Tramp »

Hi muddy folk :laugh:

As Ive always used 140 rear profiles on my Ta650 even though you can use 120 and 130 widths, what I`d like to know is what difference does it make to dirt riding based on the same tyre as I do know different sq or rounded effect road stuff..

Does the 140 offer any better wear rates?

Reason is the smaller widths are so much cheaper and more availabilty..

cheers all..

Also for anyone who dosent know the mitas E-09 dakar is 5 ply and non dakar is 4ply walls..
Treadtrader

Re: Rear tyre size? does it effect grip

Post by Treadtrader »

A narower footprint will cut into soft ground better, or a wider one floats over easier.

Depends on weight of bike too.

Interesting topic though. These days cost is so important.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Assuming they're up to the job (Loading & Speed Rating) it's more a case of what you're used to.
The older folk brought up on skinnies will prefer the narrower tyres convinced that they respond quicker & perhaps they do.
The young pups brought up on sports bike 160's will be amazed that a 4" tyre on a 70hp 650 can get round the lanes in front of them.
I prefer 100-120's in mud & 120-140's in the dry (depending on bike weight).
Of course wheel width makes a difference.
A wide rim will flatten out the tread of a skinny tyre & vice versa.
The Super Motard fraternity exploit this fact depending on what circuit they're at & whether it's wet or dry.
Dropping 10mm on a width is unlikely to make a megga difference to handling. At first you may notice it but very quickly your brain will compensate & it'll feel like the ride you're used to.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

My KTM 950 SE specifies 140 width. I ran a 130 tyre (T63) with no appreciable difference in performance across a variety of terrains.

Didn't last long - but nothing does on the back of an SE..... :whistle:
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Cheers Guys..
the only time I ran a 130 profile was in a k60 and it did feel different to a 140 in the same tyre but the compound was harder too..I do know that some tyres mitas especially when going from 130 to 140 the tyres can be nearer 150 width..and for Mud I`d rather cut it up to find traction than squirm around on top :S ..also some of the 130`s are 90 against 80 so a little higher and have to watch clearance on swing arm with deep knobs..

keep the advise coming
ZX Raziel

Post by ZX Raziel »

The differences are very small , 130 vs 140 the bigger tyre will last a little bit longer if used on tarmac , bigger tyre size equals to more weight = slower acceleration , more unsprung weight , that is why motocross bikes are running the smaller sizes , compared to enduro bikes .
For the average Joe like me who does not race the differences are not significant enough , just go for what you like and can afford , the rubber compound and type of tread its more important .
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The first two numbers are only ratios which differ between tyre makers in the way they measure them. Some measure from the wall whilst others measure the width from the outer-most knobs. If you get the rim size right then I wouldn't worry too much about anything else.

Also, pressures have the biggest effect on grip and it's the lengthways footprint which extends at lower pressure far more than the side to side footprint. So a 140 tyre at 25 PSI won't have anything like the lenghtways footprint that a 110 tyre will have at 12 PSI. Basically when it comes to off road tyres the lenghtways footprint is the important thing.
mr cc

Post by mr cc »

Mike54, nicely summed up.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”