Solo Adventure from London to Cape Town via West Africa (www.rtwdream.com)

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Tommy

Solo Adventure from London to Cape Town via West Africa (www.rtwdream.com)

Post by Tommy »

My departure date is approaching quickly and cant quite figure out whether Im looking forward to my dream adventure or just plain bricking it :ohmy: . I remember my first trip around Europe; it took me months to plan because at the time, it was to be the biggest adventure of my life. I was nervous then also but once on the road everything works out just fine.

Following that trip, the bug had bitten, leading on to further travels across Europe and North Africa.

I have been planning this trip for the last 18 months, which is way too long, I know. Six months ago, I put down all the books and DVD's and worked out my essentials ie visas, carnet and route.

I will be departing on the 5th October 2012 and invite all fellow friends and ABR's to follow my progress as I attempt my furthest, most daring adventure to date; To travel by motorcycle from my home in London to Cape Town via West Africa. The journey is to take approximately three months and cover approximetely 10,500 miles of both tarmac and rugged terrain. Thats providing the Angolan Consulate returns my passport in time - please Mr. Ambassador!

Intended route being:- England, Spain, Morocco, Western Sahara, Mauritania, Mali, Burkino Faso, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, Gabon, Congo, DRC, Angola, Namibia, Botswana, then to hopefully arrive safely in South Africa. .

Over the next few weeks I will update my website (www.rtwdream.com)as often as possible with further details the trip including the The Planned Route. For anyone considering a similar route/adventure then feel free to browse the information I have provided on Research, Second Passport, Insurances, Visas, Vaccines, Route Planning, Shipping, Flights, Carnets, Motorcycle Farkles, Equupment List, International Driving Permit and Other Documents.

I have a tracking device fitted so that all family, friends and ABR's can follow my progress through the deepest depths of the Congo and can be seen here:

www.rtwdream.com

Best Regards to All and thanks for following, Tommy

P.S. Hope to see you all at the next Boil Rally :S .
PHILinFRANCE

Re: Solo Adventure from London to Cape Town via West Africa (www.rtwdream.com)

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Good luck mate , looks like you'll be skipping France or you could have called in, anyway have a good safe one and i'll be following you from sunny FR
Phil
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Phil, yes skipping France unfortunately but hope to see you at the next Hiss or sooner. I will have to keep in contact as the Mrs and I are looking to make the big move. Who knows, we could end up being neighbours. Hope your injurys better and your back to flying around them trails. Speak soon
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Good luck, and thanks for providing another blog to read. One day, one day I'll do the big trip but in the mean time I get my travelling fix reading everyone's blogs. Yours is added to the list.

Oh and leaving London? Send off from the Ace maybe? Apparently if you sound adventurous enough you get a free breakfast :P
Happiness has 125cc ...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Cheers Freeloadeur, if you want to see a grown man cry then yes, a see off would be much appreciated, lol, so long as you get enough of the boys together. My ferry's at 1630 on the 5th, so will be departing around 1130. As im confident there wont be many, breakfast is on me at my local caf in Hampton. The ride could be down to Portsmouth avoiding the motorways. Any takers?

All the best Tommy
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Tommy wrote:Thanks Phil, yes skipping France unfortunately but hope to see you at the next Hiss or sooner. I will have to keep in contact as the Mrs and I are looking to make the big move. Who knows, we could end up being neighbours. Hope your injurys better and your back to flying around them trails. Speak soon
Sure thing Tommy , if you fancy rekking the area after your trip i'm sure we could squeeze you in
Phil
SteveB

Post by SteveB »

And of course I will be following your journey, keeping an eye on how you go on .. all be it from the other side of planet (NZ)

Ride Safe.. be careful... and always check your socks for spiders that will rip yer leg off or sting you and leave you for the goblins, unless your mate saves you at the last minute and then you both get to Mount Doom and hitch a ride home on the back of an eagle or something.

Steve

BTW - brilliant blog website :whistle:
BMW R1200GS - BMW 650GS
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

SteveB wrote:And of course I will be following your journey, keeping an eye on how you go on .. all be it from the other side of planet (NZ)

Ride Safe.. be careful... and always check your socks for spiders that will rip yer leg off or sting you and leave you for the goblins, unless your mate saves you at the last minute and then you both get to Mount Doom and hitch a ride home on the back of an eagle or something.

Steve

BTW - brilliant blog website :whistle:
As you designed it, you would say that.

Have lovely time in NZ and see you at the Boil. Don't forget to say hi to Alison. Err, I think you got a good deal with your ipad by the way.
Bongoburns

Post by Bongoburns »

Tommy, can I come with you lol. You have a great adventure trip and I will be following your progress.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

More the merrier. Hope your well.

Return to “TRAVEL”