Wish me luck!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Warthog

Wish me luck!

Post by Warthog »

This may be the last time I post using my own fingers!

Why?

Because it is -12 outside and I decided that it would be easier to see if my Nanok -10 Comfort was up to the job by sleeping on my balcony, rather than traipsing all the way into the forest and pitching my tent like last year, only to find that my Mountain Equipment patently wasn't up to the job!

So, provided my extremities don't drop off, I'll update my Nanok's review appropriately!!
moto al

Re: Wish me luck!

Post by moto al »

hi dont be a pussy camping glen coe 2 weeks ago - 15 .iwas with my lawyer no kidding and he still would not cut his fee note .he;s cold guy ? moto al .ps and i bought the drams
moto al
James691

Post by James691 »

Thermal pants!!! Or your fingers could be the least of your worries....... a man can live without his fingers... :P
Dancing in the moonlight
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Well, the Nanok was true to its word.

I actually crawled indoors around 5 am, but not due to cold, but rather CID (Concrete Induced Discomfort).

Not a wholly representative test: the sleeping bag and I were both "prepared" at room temp before getting comfy on the balcony. Also the balcony has some glass panels that close the balcony. ALthough unsealed and single pane, they might have retained a little warmth from the flat: certainly no more than a degree or so!

So I crawled into my sleeping bag that I had laid on a closed cell mat, on top of my Alpkit Slim Airic mat. It was -12 by then. I wore walking socks, a merino baselayer top and bottom, thin gloves and a merino beanie hat. It took a while to fall asleep, but I did. I usually "starfish" when I sleep, but that would have greatly reduced the loft if I had been straining at the walls of my bag, so I tried to sleep just on my back.

When I decided that bag would have got cold if it was going to get cold at about 5 am the temperature had risen to a positively sweltering -9.

So all in all, the bag is "good for it", so I'm pleased. I now also know that if I fancy doing some winter camping and having to go to bed at 4pm because it is dark, I'll be comfortable, although my dogs may not feel the same way.

Dog-sized Nanoks?
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Cool - literally!
B)
Pat
James691

Post by James691 »

excellent :) thanks for the report!
Dancing in the moonlight