Viewranger

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
jkclive1971

Viewranger

Post by jkclive1971 »

Has anyone used viewranger mapping and is it any use for us for motor bike trails / green lanes
Adrian

Re: Viewranger

Post by Adrian »

You'll see on Viewranger, exactly what you'd see on an OS map.
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

OS seems to me to be for walkers and dont seem to be anything to do with trail for us.Or get any info on free trails for motorbikes also how do you just brows for maps.

Must admit i dont understand much on this kind of mapping
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I think on OS maps legal byways are marked with pink dotted lines with pink diamonds in.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

viewranger is fine for what it is - a method of viewing a OS map to see where you are occasionally. However i'm not convinced that it is a viable replancement for a good GPS. phones don't like vibration, they are not waterproof (ok you can put them in a tumpperware box) but the main problem is that they cannot be easily seen in the daylight. the screen on my garmin is designed to be able to be read in daylight. you'll be peering at the phone trying to see the map whereas on the gps it actually come to life in the sun and is dead easy to read. the newer garmins can also display the OS maps.

by the way, byways are shown as red crosses on the map. these are the only routes you can use. the dots and dashe routes are now off limits, these were RUPP's but insce NERC they are restricted.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

redbikejohn wrote: by the way, byways are shown as red crosses on the map. these are the only routes you can use. the dots and dashe routes are now off limits, these were RUPP's but insce NERC they are restricted.
If you were to follow my advise, you will be riding down canal tow paths and all sorts. :whistle: Just tell them I said you can and you will be fine I'm sure. :P

Take Johns advise. ;)
iainnic

Post by iainnic »

Have a look at the GPS / mapping on www.mapyx.com

We use their stuff in Mountain Rescue and its good. The mapping software is free and you just buy the maps you want . GPS units are robust and not badly priced - and you see the OS map.

OS maps will be free under the new scheme soon - no doubt this will drop the price again !

Ram do an excellent mount for teh GPS devices they sell (Lowrance with a version of Quo mapping on them) and they work well on the bike.

Iain
-------------------------------------------

"Anne" - GSA 1200 30 Year Colours

"Rosie" - F650GS .... in red !

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”