Stoves - a waste of space!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
barnhatter

Re: Stoves - a waste of space!

Post by barnhatter »

Done quite a few tours in Europe and never bothered with a stove or food. I planned my campsites close to towns or had a resturants on site. I get up and out as quick as possible stopping after an hour for a coffee and food if possible, dont bother with lunch and have a good meal in the evening. Drink as the locals so beer or a bottle of wine.
However last big trip 2 seasons ago I found at a number of places struggling to find food. Two nights got a selection from the campsit shop, snacks and wine. once meats etc from a supermarket, was okay and one gave up as could not find anything.
Last year did a number of small trips and tried out a new mini trangia which worked well.
I cooked tinned curry, stews and chilli, eating it with rice or toasting pita bread. also cooked meats. All washed down with beer cider of wine.
Next summer I will be doing my own cooking making finding campsites a lot easier.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Barnhatter,
depends on the type of travelling and camping you do... stopped in plenty of campsites that don't do food or drink and no shops within a reasonable distance.

Which is why we always carry a couple of dehydrated meals with us for emergencies ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Wow snaphappy, you're really on a crusade for these things! I have tried trangias, they are good and I'm definitely not putting them down. I'm glad you have found the best thing for you, which is, after all, the best thing to do.
barnhatter

Post by barnhatter »

You missed the "However" bit.
I usually plan my trips, as I travel solo being lost is no fun, so I spend some time planning the roads and campsites. Municiple campsites in France are great as they are usually within a town. Due to my last big trip finding resturants closed or non existant I am now going to mainly cook myself and go to town for a look and drink.
I have a mini trangia and will carry some cans, rice and noodles. Just need the wine and beer for a perfect meal.
I used the cooker this year in the UK on 3 small trips and found it good once I made a wind break. Taking enough fuel by strapping extra bottles on the rack. Not sure how easy it will be to find meths, Does anyone know any other fuel that an be found on the continent is any good,not drink.
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Sprockette wrote:Wow snaphappy, you're really on a crusade for these things! I have tried trangias, they are good and I'm definitely not putting them down. I'm glad you have found the best thing for you, which is, after all, the best thing to do.
No crusade, just trying to be helpful. Each to their own I just hated having to use hexi, but they must be good to have survived, simplicity is sometimes the key to success.
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

herman

Post by herman »

Must be time for me to come off the fence on the subject of stoves,obviously an emotive subject for you all :dry: I have only ever used hexi burners when travelling on a bike,perhaps at the 'boil' rally I will be converted B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Trevor Twobikes

Post by Trevor Twobikes »

I began this thread and was quite dismissive of them, but your enthusiam for stoves
is starting to rub off on me.

Have any of you used a Kelly Kettle or the similar Eydon Storm Kettle and with what
results. For those who don't know, they have a twin walled chimney, the water being
contained between the twin walls. A fire of paper/twigs/cones etc. is started in the
base unit and extra fuel is added through the top as necessary.

Eco warriors will love it as it's carbon neutral, but perhaps not much use above
the tree line. :unsure:
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

:( Sadly I would say that these Kelly Kettles not much good below the tree line either. They only heat fluid, can't imagine doing soup in one, so only water. They aren't that small so take up a quite abit of space and burn chamber is so small that you have have to keep feeding in small finger sized pieces of wood or should I say dry wood as the burn chamber is so small you can't dry the wood out around the 'fire'. In Europe/Uk finding bone dry fingers of wood isn't a simple a sit seems either. Feeding it with paper is no fun either it also means that you have to give it your undivided attention. Might be okay in a warmed country where there is no shortage of 'tinder' and if you only want to boil water. But what do I know it might float your boat.
Love my MSR Pocket Rocket but jumping down off the fence the best stove for me on the bike and not backpacking in Scotalnd, is a Omni fuel stove that burns unleaded as you should always have access to petrol. Personally I like the MSR versions but other Manufacturers are available as the BBC would say. and I daren't admit to how many different stoves I own or have owned. :) But variety is good otherwise we would all be riding BM's
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

I like the MSR stuff but check out www.optimusstoves.com for some 'good' looking pieces of engineering. :) I must get a life.
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
africajim

Post by africajim »

That's the very one I've got! Works a treat, recommended!
Honda, the power of dreams.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”