Cornering

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Throttled

Re: Cornering

Post by Throttled »

I have never pulled or pushed, I put all my effort (not much physical, more mental) into leaning the way I want to go and look at where I want to be (the limit point).

I said before how I find that say I turn left the weight is on the left grip, but I resist it more than push against it.

If I started to push left before I even thought about leaning, would that be better?

I feel my way of doing it and leaning I was going with the bike, rather than pushing which is leading the bike.

Or am I still not getting the hang of this? :)
YBR125 > KLE500 + KLE650 Versys Tourer
Barnman

Post by Barnman »

Its been interesting following this thread, and I think Redmurty has it spot on when he said

"That's great to hear. I'm glad you are enjoying your riding more because that's what it's all about. It matters not a jot who you agree with or disagree with whether your a "push" or a "pull" man just as your comfortable and enjoying the joy of corners.
Been a good thread with different views and hopefully people have worked there way through them and worked what is best for them
"

I have posted this link before, but really do think its worth reading. They make a point about learning to steer so it is instinctive, and not something you think about, because when it really matters, you go back to instinct and not 'thinking' about what your doing

Full control
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Throttled wrote:I have never pulled or pushed, I put all my effort (not much physical, more mental) into leaning the way I want to go and look at where I want to be (the limit point).

I said before how I find that say I turn left the weight is on the left grip, but I resist it more than push against it.

If I started to push left before I even thought about leaning, would that be better?

I feel my way of doing it and leaning I was going with the bike, rather than pushing which is leading the bike.

Or am I still not getting the hang of this? :)
Your lean is pushing the bar, I find that if I push the bar then the bike leans and I go with it

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Throttled

Post by Throttled »

Is one way better than the other, or are they the same?
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I prefer a "push" as I find it smoother and I feel in more control. I think it's because I can be gentler pushing than I can pulling.

All the video's I've ever watched on the subject initiate the turn with a push I can't remember ever seeing one which said "pull"

It's all in the practice so it becomes instinct so when you actually need in a "half a crown and sixpence" moment you do it without thinking about it

Cheers Spud ;)

hodgerydoo

Post by hodgerydoo »

Throttled wrote:Is one way better than the other, or are they the same?
What I've learnt is that to push for me definitely feels more natural,I didnt know you could pull, and having tried it didnt feel natural. But push or pull it doesn't seem to matter, You decide what you find the more comfortable and what fits your situation, body + bike, and at the end of the day pushing one bar and pulling the other bar is the same for the bike, but maybe not for you.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

There is no right or wrong way, whatever works best for you. I tried pushing the bars earlier today and it felt wrong to me I`m much happier pulling, doesn`t mean I`m wrong just special :unsure: ;)
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Old Git Ray wrote:
Without going into the dynamics of counter steering, some years ago I was in the Black Forest, 2 up on a Pan Euro and the weather was raining in biblical proportions. I was riding very slowly (typically 30mph) through the bends and it was extremely scary.
I then switched to counter steering and my riding just woke up. I did not go any faster but I was in a lot more control and felt a lot more comfortable.
anagallis_arvensis wrote: dont get it, if your not countersteering surely you cannot initiate a turn at all beyond 15-20mph or so. Its the same on a bicycle. Even if your not aware of it you are doing it or you would just carry straight on.
Still Gotta Pulse wrote:
What? You can't 'switch' to c/steering , it isn't optional!

If I could make myself clearer.

When I say I switched to "counter steering", I meant in a conscious way. Obviously I am doing it all the time anyway without thinking about it but on this occasion I deliberately pushed on the inside bar and It felt a lot safer in atrocious. conditions
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Nigel wrote:There is no right or wrong way, whatever works best for you. I tried pushing the bars earlier today and it felt wrong to me I`m much happier pulling, doesn`t mean I`m wrong just special :unsure: ;)
definately special mate :whistle:

I tried both today and i'm much smoother pushing but at times I found myself pulling as well without thinking about it :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)

Throttled

Post by Throttled »

Thanks all :) Hopefully I can get out soon and try this out.

Return to “HOW TO..........”