The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

The Things We Ride
Mike54

Re: The Honda Africa twin 1000 , warts and all.

Post by Mike54 »

robson wrote:gush, so they have failed engine already?...
Clearly the sight of a single image showing an AT without its engine means that gives you total freedom and confidence to say all over the internet that "Africa Twin engines fail therefore the bike is no good" despite the fact you have no idea at all exactly why the engine is out of the frame of that bike.
moto al

Post by moto al »

ZX Raziel wrote:Is that the bike with damaged gearbox AL ?
the bike was one registered in Germany , I don't know the full story.watch this space.Al (thumbs)
moto al
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

After a 3,000 blat around the pyrenees i love this bike. Only problem i had was a rear wheel sudden deflation which required recovery. Patched up then tyre and tube replaced within 24hours at Perpignan and the fun carried on
robson

Post by robson »

scotsy wrote:After a 3,000 blat around the pyrenees i love this bike. Only problem i had was a rear wheel sudden deflation which required recovery. Patched up then tyre and tube replaced within 24hours at Perpignan and the fun carried on
why you couldn't change the tube by yourself???...
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

I was riding without my tankbag which had the tools etc in it at the time, i got recovered from N260 in Spain to France where we were staying. In the morning my mates and i removed the tyre and patched the tube and plugged the hole in the tyre then i rode it to Perpignan where we had sourced a Conti trail attack 2 rear tyre and a UHD michelin tube. the hole in the tyre and the tube was around 8mm diameter and i didn't want the rest of the trip spoiling by another problem. Sadly i am not a rufty tufty "adventure bike rider" and don't pretend to be but i did have all the stuff on the trip with me but forgot they were stashed in the tankbag that day!!!
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

I only carry the tools to repair punctures if I'm off road or somewhere isolated. I pay for recovery insurance so why mess about at the side of the road fixing punctures?
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

i had with me patches, plugs, electric pump, 3 x tyre levers, valve removal tool, adjustable spanner and hex (front axle) and had already had fitted a Michelin UHD tube in the front wheel (the one i was worried about) and was so glad the recovery insurance company was so efficient (once the afternoon 'siesta' was over)
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

scotsy wrote:I was riding without my tankbag which had the tools etc in it at the time, i got recovered from N260 in Spain to France where we were staying. In the morning my mates and i removed the tyre and patched the tube and plugged the hole in the tyre then i rode it to Perpignan where we had sourced a Conti trail attack 2 rear tyre and a UHD michelin tube. the hole in the tyre and the tube was around 8mm diameter and i didn't want the rest of the trip spoiling by another problem. Sadly i am not a rufty tufty "adventure bike rider" and don't pretend to be but i did have all the stuff on the trip with me but forgot they were stashed in the tankbag that day!!!
If I was in Spain heading for France on an Africa Twin, I'd not give a flying' f... about impressing anyone by fixing my own punctures. I'd just be smiling all day. I'm up at seven in the morning driving around sweaty London all day :( . Adventure? Not so long ago they were called "Holidays" Enjoy yourself (thumbs)
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

sohoeasy wrote:
scotsy wrote:I was riding without my tankbag which had the tools etc in it at the time, i got recovered from N260 in Spain to France where we were staying. In the morning my mates and i removed the tyre and patched the tube and plugged the hole in the tyre then i rode it to Perpignan where we had sourced a Conti trail attack 2 rear tyre and a UHD michelin tube. the hole in the tyre and the tube was around 8mm diameter and i didn't want the rest of the trip spoiling by another problem. Sadly i am not a rufty tufty "adventure bike rider" and don't pretend to be but i did have all the stuff on the trip with me but forgot they were stashed in the tankbag that day!!!
If I was in Spain heading for France on an Africa Twin, I'd not give a flying' f... about impressing anyone by fixing my own punctures. I'd just be smiling all day. I'm up at seven in the morning driving around sweaty London all day :( . Adventure? Not so long ago they were called "Holidays" Enjoy yourself (thumbs)
Well said.I'm just back from my "holiday" (I ride a sports tourer,that's how I know it's not an "adventure"!) in the south of France.You get lost or end up on the wrong road (I managed to miss the Swiss Alps! :blush: ) and feel pissed off for about 5 minutes until you wise up and realise you're still riding your bike all day long in 30c sunshine on great roads.Even crashing and being stranded in Amsterdam for an extra day couldn't dampen my spirits! :laugh:
moto al

Post by moto al »

The new Africa twin ,is a great bike,it performs like a 250, light & Agile , with just under 100bhp. Unfortunately ,Mr Henry Honda ,has cut back on the quality .sad .??.May I say for a machine that costs 5k less than a 1200gs bm, it's great value . U pays your hard earned .beer vouchers . Make your own mind up. Rather than the gloss mags, bull shit. :pinch: Al (thumbs)
moto al

Return to “BIKES”