Uk import duty shocker!!

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Uk import duty shocker!!

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I think any independent observer can now see that the break-up of the United Kingdom is mor likely than the break-up of the European Union.

Farage is now selling some dubious financial 'product' on YouTube, and according to Private Eye his 'Reform Party' is technically bankrupt as his wealthy backers are now keeping their money to themselves.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

if our English masters had treated us a lot better then we wouldn't want inde
if our European masters had treated us a lot better then we wouldn't want inde.

i dont think anyone is arguing against trade cooperation and shared wealth making.

but .. do you remember when TM was home secretary and she was not allowed (by eu law) to deport a rapist/murderer from an e europe country (cant remember which) .. her hands were tied by the EU who considered the shengen area as one country, legally? so u could not deport an unwanted murderer from one part to another?

do you remember when laws were being made on our (UK) behalf that we did not even know about ... when the workings of the eu council / commission etc were almost kept secret from us (but? that was the uk media fault?.. or was it?)

do you remember when we could only eat straight bananas ... (this was obviously a sex discrimination issue, and not fake news) .. but standardisation, although great in principle, led to great wastage.

do you remember the CAP .. that benefitted mostly germany and france, protecting their prices? .. leaving uk land free to deteriorate, in terms of farming... (but incidently great for nature and the environment)

do you remember when our uk borders were free to the mass influx of polish and romanian very shaggable gorgeous girls .... absolutely disgusting !! .. hope they put a stop to all that illicit fornication.

financial services? .. i not got a clue about that .. but i am sure that london will recoup and prevail .... and wot happened to all them hong kong young financial wiz kids we supposed to be taking in? .....

centres have moves, as described on here .. but the real powerhouses are still in the UK ... we are the 5th economy in the world, dont forget. ... all this moving of businesses to EU is just a legal ploy to get over the vat and import duties etc ... we are still a great nation, and we will prove that in coming times, despite the eu contrived restrictions
Richard Simpson Mark II

Err, the Uk was never in the Schengen area, Gary.

I suspect any failing was down to home Office incompetence. It's a hopeless organisation which deports the innocent (Windrushers) while protecting the guilty (the guy who let of the Arena bomb in Manchester was previously 'rescued' from Libya by the Royal Navy on Home Office orders).

They also failed to deport the guy who killed the gays in Reading, in spite of hime having a record as long as your arm.

This is nothing to do with the EU, and everything to do with us. I have some sympathy for Pritti Patel for shouting at them: I'd have kicked their fat arses out of the door.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Meanwhile back on topic:-
I can honestly say that I have never, knowingly, ordered stuff from a European seller outside of the UK. I prefer to try on my bike gear and buy the item I have tried on or if it's parts I buy from UK internet retailers or Ebay UK sellers (although that is not always verifiable).
Worldwide recession from Covid is on it's way and (as I said before) if it's mutually beneficial then Government and business will find a way of enticing the consumer buy their products. Let's face it half the shizle we buy we don't need anyway and if it becomes too expensive we don't buy it.
Come to think of it the last 2 sets of tyres I bought were actually made in China and the oil filters came from India.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The article from Motolegends is excellent
https://www.motolegends.com/reviews/Buy ... cd2be1d0d9
However, there are couple of confusing statements on VAT liability(basically lower limits) --and I'm hoping to get clarification on these. One thing that crept into the detail was the duty liability on parts imported from Europe, but not MADE in Europe--and that applies to most motorcycle gear, and possibly actual motorcycles such as Yamaha and Honda (but Yamaha have a French factory etc). It seems that the country of origin(e.g China) means that normal WTO rules apply and therefore duty applies--as its outside Boris' agreement on "free trade"--so, as I see it the French importer may pay import duty on goods from China--and then we pay import duty AGAIN as its shipped into the UK from France (but Made in CHINA). Ultimately I think this will promote more direct imports to the UK. I think the AS move to Holland is a bit unique as they get most stuff actually MADE in Europe. If we export UK MADE bits to Europe then all we'll have to do (I hope) is register at the one stop shop for EU VAT---and No duty in line with the Boris deal--as usual the devil is in the detail , and as I said before (along with others) , good commerce will find a way. At the moment China simply wing it with direct deliveries, and as you all know we appear to get duty and postage free stuff--but recently more Chinese companies are registering a business in the UK with a warehouse and selling to us from there--so no extra duty or VAT independent charge applies to us as a purchaser.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

dave h wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:06 pm well done nissan chan,

dave.
Richard Simpson Mark II

I found it very difficult to work out who was and wasn't a British retailer.

I ordered some stuff a while back from 24MX.co.uk...the items they sent weren't what I'd ordered, so I sent them back.

24MX is actually a Swedish company with a warehouse in Poland.

They refunded the money to my cc eventually, but there was no word of explanation or apology...they didn't even say that they were out of stock of the items I'd ordered even though they were 'in stock' on their website and would substitutes be acceptable.

Vey poor, and under the current regime I'd have had to pay duty on stuff I didn't even have a use for.
Richard Simpson Mark II

"Come to think of it the last 2 sets of tyres I bought were actually made in China"

hope your life insurance is up to date!
dave h

Post by dave h »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:15 pm
dave h wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:06 pm well done nissan chan,

dave.
somwhere along the line someone forgot to mention the new battery deal.

dave.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:11 pm "Come to think of it the last 2 sets of tyres I bought were actually made in China"

hope your life insurance is up to date!
Why the scepticism Richard? They were Metzler Tourance which are OE equipment on BMW's and bought from a well known UK retailer and I've done over 60k miles on the brand.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.

Return to “THE PUB”