What's The Best, No Nonsense, do it all Green Lane Bike?

The Things We Ride
Thedktor

Re: What's The Best, No Nonsense, do it all Green Lane Bike?

Post by Thedktor »

chrisinflight wrote: For those convinced of the need for a 6speed here are some facts from gearing commander.

DR350. 76.7 mph @7500 rpm in 6th
DRZ400. 78.9 mph @7500 rpm in 5th.

Both with 15/44 sprockets.
Well, at least use the right facts if you're quoting fractions of mph ;)

They are actually under 1mph difference with standard gearing, but the DR350 has a noticeably lower speed capability in 1st.

No-one's disputing the DRZ has more power, better suspension etc, its more the point that it gained some apparent weight and lost some gear spread.

I loved all my DRZ's but since acquiring a slightly modified DR a few years back now prefer that for trail riding. Its more fun as I can chuck it round more. I wouldn't race on it though as the suspension's not really up to it.

Who cares, just get out and ride :)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

For me, historically speaking.... the KMX200 or a derestricted KMX125 were a pair of brilliant green laners.

If you don't like a 2T well then the World is yer Lobster! I had one of the first DR350s and flogged it on within a year, too tall and too unwieldy, was my thought at the time and of course... it was a 4T!! Went back to a KMX 125!! :-D (thumbs)

Nowadadays, it is hard to find an all rounder trail bike IMO, but the ideal green laner is a very personal and individual bit of kit, and one that will vary hugely with your riding style and needs.
XR400STUPOT

Post by XR400STUPOT »

daytona-supersport wrote:
SteveW wrote:For me it would be a DRZ400. Doesn't have to be the e model.
Enough power, reasonable price, £2500 should get you a good'un, tough, plenty still around and electric start. Get one set up nicely and they are great fun.
It's the kind of bike that you can learn on, then when you get into the swing it's got enough shove to keep you interested.
Good grief.
Everybody knows it's a KTM.
I have seen riders of DRZ's try a borrowed KT in interesting conditions and then first chance they get they flog their bikes and go orange. Abs no contest. :dry:
This topic is going to go on and on. Yep for sure a KTM EXC is a better off road bike, as are any of the full on enduro bikes out there. The question was what's the best, no nonsense do it all green lane bike. Answer, a Jap trail bike.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The successor to the Yam TTR--The WR250R--designed in 2008--bullet proof motor , excellent build quality, has done the BAM etc-bullet proof FI. 26k valve check intervals, good gearbox spread with 70 mph cruise, 350W alternator, on board fault diagnosis--no laptop required, decent rear subframe (can carry a pillion)--all it needs is a bigger tank (plenty of stuff available from the US where its BIG!!), 70 mpg and so on--its just about the only modern purpose designed trail bike
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

catcitrus wrote:The successor to the Yam TTR--The WR250R--designed in 2008--bullet proof motor , excellent build quality, has done the BAM etc-bullet proof FI. 26k valve check intervals, good gearbox spread with 70 mph cruise, 350W alternator, on board fault diagnosis--no laptop required, decent rear subframe (can carry a pillion)--all it needs is a bigger tank (plenty of stuff available from the US where its BIG!!), 70 mpg and so on--its just about the only modern purpose designed trail bike
Good answer. The only drawback for me when I've ridden a WR250R was its lack of torque compared with a 400/450.
It's also bloody expensive. Perhaps it needs some modern completion?
I'll take the opportunity to again mention my KLX450r, overlooked and underrated in the UK. Japanese build quality, quality suspenders, 54BHP, 120kg, less focused, plusher and much cheaper than a KTM.
That said I think the DRZ is a better no nonsense do it all trail bike because it's more adaptable, novice friendly, cheap to own, lots of add on goodies readily available in UK/Europe, loads available second hand and comfier on the road.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveW wrote:
catcitrus wrote:The successor to the Yam TTR--The WR250R--designed in 2008--bullet proof motor , excellent build quality, has done the BAM etc-bullet proof FI. 26k valve check intervals, good gearbox spread with 70 mph cruise, 350W alternator, on board fault diagnosis--no laptop required, decent rear subframe (can carry a pillion)--all it needs is a bigger tank (plenty of stuff available from the US where its BIG!!), 70 mpg and so on--its just about the only modern purpose designed trail bike
Good answer. The only drawback for me when I've ridden a WR250R was its lack of torque compared with a 400/450.
It's also bloody expensive. Perhaps it needs some modern completion?
I'll take the opportunity to again mention my KLX450r, overlooked and underrated in the UK. Japanese build quality, quality suspenders, 54BHP, 120kg, less focused, plusher and much cheaper than a KTM.
That said I think the DRZ is a better no nonsense do it all trail bike because it's more adaptable, novice friendly, cheap to own, lots of add on goodies readily available in UK/Europe, loads available second hand and comfier on the road.
So why is the KLX 450 such a shite seller & they have to discount them to shift them

They can sell loads of Honda CRF 450 & Yam WR450 's at £2k more - so it must be a lemon

Doesn't it have the RMZ450 engine?

That had awful reviews IIRC

The Kwacker ain't a big hit, so it would seem

Only you ever mention it :)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
The Wilbur

Post by The Wilbur »

Went from a TTR250 to a DRZ400 for some extra oomph ( was member of Team Fat B*stard :whistle: ) but found it rather underwhelming.

My solution was a CCM 404DS (thumbs)

The SM conversion was brilliant too, when Foot & Mouth put a stop to Green Laneing for a year. Wish I still had mine :(
SUCK : SQUEEZE : BANG : BLOW

www.f650.co.uk
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Ref the comments on the Yam WR250R--cost and lack of pulling power--can't really disagree--but see below for fixes and reasons:

Not so expensive when you look at what KTM want to charge these days !--and unfortunately they have stopped selling them in the UK--but its a big seller still in the US--there you pay 6500 dollars or less--so its a bit like us paying 4k !!(not 6k!)

The same pricing applies to the Super Tenere--dollar NUMBER=GBP number----we are really small fry in the scheme of things. I also like the KLR650 and the new version available in the US is much better--but Kawa won't homologate it here because of the low predicted sales numbers.

Anyhoo--back to the points raised on the WR 250--with all the emissions gubbins off its only a brake hp or two shy of the WR250F enduro. Its also very overgeared for UK nadgery--I've gone up 8 teeth on the rear and it now "pulls" much better in the low gears !--it will still cruise at 60 mph (same revs as the previous 75mph cruise)--it has a nice wide 6 speed box--and will now trickle at a low walking pace on tickover without the clutch (clutch is the same as the enduro). I have also fitted the IMS 3 US gal tank which is both cheap, even after importing, and now gives me a 160 mile range easily (and bigger tanks are available from the US and Oz). If you can find a nice one secondhand then they are about the best on offer for a good do it all IMHO.
kito

Post by kito »

Bart1 wrote:So if the DRZ's faults are it is a bit heavy and has a narrow ratio gearbox how about a CCM404 with a ACT wide ratio gears fitted, these give a 27% wider ratio range so in essence you could have 14/47 gearing but fifth gear would be like 16/41 ! !
I have the 404 and think it is a great green lane bike. I have also though of trying the wide ration box. Have you any experiance of it ?
I might build a sper motor . I have a 440 top end already that I'm not using. I think a 440 motor with wide ratio gears in the 404 frame would be a blast
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

kito wrote:
Bart1 wrote:So if the DRZ's faults are it is a bit heavy and has a narrow ratio gearbox how about a CCM404 with a ACT wide ratio gears fitted, these give a 27% wider ratio range so in essence you could have 14/47 gearing but fifth gear would be like 16/41 ! !
I have the 404 and think it is a great green lane bike. I have also though of trying the wide ration box. Have you any experiance of it ?
I might build a sper motor . I have a 440 top end already that I'm not using. I think a 440 motor with wide ratio gears in the 404 frame would be a blast
Unfortunately no, but Wesley of this parish has built a DRZ with ACT gears, a big bore AND stroked motor !!
http://www.drz400uk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7981
There are threads on Thumpertalk and all seem positive.
It seems you are already part way there with the 440 top end.
Go for it.

Return to “BIKES”