Stoves - a waste of space!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
scouse

Re: Stoves - a waste of space!

Post by scouse »

Sprockette wrote:Its cheap and the fuel is easy to come by in most countries, it doesn't leak and is not flammable in the way petrol/parafin is.
Things must be different were you go... gave up on them years ago as I never saw any fuel for sale outside of camping shops in the UK.

Looking for a multifuel burner for my Trangia for the same reason... Coelman style gas cartridges with screw tops are hard to find in some areas of Europe, and meths/denatured alcohol seems to be vanishing off shelves... so an Omni fuel seems to be the order of the day for longer trips.:unsure:
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
davsato

Post by davsato »

scouse wrote:
Sprockette wrote:Its cheap and the fuel is easy to come by in most countries, it doesn't leak and is not flammable in the way petrol/parafin is.
Things must be different were you go... gave up on them years ago as I never saw any fuel for sale outside of camping shops in the UK.

Looking for a multifuel burner for my Trangia for the same reason... Coelman style gas cartridges with screw tops are hard to find in some areas of Europe, and meths/denatured alcohol seems to be vanishing off shelves... so an Omni fuel seems to be the order of the day for longer trips.:unsure:
i havent had my trangia gas coversion out of the country yet but when i do im getting one of those adaptors that turn a bayonet "gaz" type can into a screw on. the gaz style are pretty common
Dave
africajim

Post by africajim »

Scouse, I carry an adapter for my Coleman so I can use screw on canisters or adapt it to take clip on camping gaz. Covers me all over Europe.
Agree with the lumps of solidified paraffin! Never seen them around either! But then meths isn't good to come by either!
My mate Steve appeared at the Stella one yr with a thing the size of a tobacco tin, had a small petrol tank and ran on unleaded, personally it scared me shitless and think you would need balls of steel to use the damned thing! When he lit it the roar was like the afterburner on a Tornado,,, DAMN! Even Fiona was afraid of it! LOL!
I'm a Coleman man, similar size to the rocket, works fine, a canister of gas lasts me a week.
Honda, the power of dreams.
scouse

Post by scouse »

davsato wrote: i havent had my trangia gas coversion out of the country yet but when i do im getting one of those adaptors that turn a bayonet "gaz" type can into a screw on. the gaz style are pretty common
The Coleman screw type are always easy to find in camping shops in France... but lots of small towns and villages hardware shops and rural garages only seem to stock Gaz stuff , either the click or pierce type cans. Same on a lot of small campsites if they carry them... we are ruined for stove variety over here!

I did see some converters somewhere and was interested until I realised that they were feckin' huge and would take up nearly the same space as the stove! I just make sure I carry a small tin of GreenHeat as emergency fuel.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
africajim

Post by africajim »

I found the opposite mate, Camping gaz are a French company and I found they were easy to find, no screw ons to be found! Probably just sods law!
I wanted meths when I was over on Mull, where on earth are you going to find meths on a small island on the west coast on a Saturday night? The filling station! WTF?
Honda, the power of dreams.
davsato

Post by davsato »

no problem carrying this one scouse;

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/C ... VE-EDE-ADV

£11 is a bit steep, but useful if it doubles your chances of finding fuel. ive never not found a shop or site that didnt have one or the other
Dave
davsato

Post by davsato »

africajim wrote:I found the opposite mate, Camping gaz are a French company and I found they were easy to find, no screw ons to be found! Probably just sods law!
I wanted meths when I was over on Mull, where on earth are you going to find meths on a small island on the west coast on a Saturday night? The filling station! WTF?
sacrelige i know, but trangias work quite well with other forms of spirit, but its tempting to drink the fuel
Dave
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

scouse wrote:Things must be different were you go... gave up on them years ago as I never saw any fuel for sale outside of camping shops in the UK.
Look for solid fuel blocks in army surplus stores and places like that. Can be found the world over, even in Japan. Among many there is one company called Esbit which distributes this type of fuel for not just military purposes but for humanitarian aid too. http://www.esbit.de/index.php?id=71

I'm sure there are better things out there, but I like hexistoves. Variety is the spice of life, etc.
scouse

Post by scouse »

davsato wrote:no problem carrying this one scouse;

http://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/C ... VE-EDE-ADV

£11 is a bit steep, but useful if it doubles your chances of finding fuel. ive never not found a shop or site that didnt have one or the other
That the ticket the ones I have looked at before had the hinges on to grip the containers... may as well just have had the Gaz stoves.

Jim,
What i meant was the only places I have regularly seen the Coleman style containers over in Europe are in the places like the Decathlon chain and Intersport , the one in Bourg St Maurice carries the best range for those hitting the Italian Alps via Col D'Iseran. It's on the trading estate off the roundabout just as you come down from the Cormet de Roseland.

Surprisingly, I have found the Coleman style the hardest fuel type to find in mountain areas even though it seems to be one of the most popular fuel types for the kind of lightweight gas stoves favoured by walkers and climbers.

snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

I've used the trangia succesfully on Czech vodka. I'm sure in would work on any spirit

Sprockette:
I use this type its no bigger than issue mess tins and everthing is there that you need
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Swedish-Army-Tran ... 3a60cf690b

and cost about the same as 3 hexi cookers
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”