Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
strimstrum

Re: Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Post by strimstrum »

[/quote]

Fixed ya spelling mate. ;)[/quote]

Cheers Dave

Don't know where I got Treadeater from.... but it does have a ring to it too.
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

i was begining to think i was the only person that hates the mummy type bags! i often sleep on my front so the hood gets in the way and not being able to move my feet about - well i just feel like i'm in a body bag!
square bag for me thanks.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Army and Navy stores, Canadian military sleeping system 2 bags to join together and a goretex bivi bag. Warm in winter, cool in summer and dry all year :woohoo: cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

I've had my Army Artic issue down bag for years now and it's the best bit of kit I've had.
Very warm and reasonably roomy, the only down side is the weight, which doesn't realy matter as it's used either with the bike or transported in the car when fishing, IMHO weight and carrying size is only an issue for those who have to use Shaks's to cart their gear around.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Lee

Post by Lee »

Just to throw in an alternative, I use a Mountain Equipment (Marathon 300) for summer trips – Lowest comfort temp is zero which is a little optimistic, but it was fine, used with a silk liner, for my October trip to North Wales (and there was frost on the ground in the morning) Packs to about 6" x 11" (and much smaller if you put it in a proper compression sack – which unfortunately it doesn't come with)

For when things get properly chilly (read thick snow and deeply below zero temps) I've got my trusty North Face (Snowshoe 3D) – packs up quite small given its a full-on winter bag and synthetic, although it's still only about 2.5x the size of the Mountain Equip – Had the North Face for 12+ years now and it's lost none of it's loft

NOTE: When not in use my bags always live in their big mesh hang-sacks to keep the loft. I'm sure this is why they're still going strong after years of use.
In June this year I undertook the whole Nature Rally in one trip, in aid of Riders for Health

You can read about it at http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... s-now.html

please support me at http://www.justgiving.com/leeparsons-naturerally
Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

More Help please

Ok a little info before my questions

New to the adventure travel, when I have been on my bike trips before I’ve always stayed in B&B/hotels etc (so know feck all about camping in the middle of nowhere but looking forwards to it)

I have a great sleeping bag a Snugpak Premier 3 which was brought for when I race and I always go in the van so size is not an issue

I’m now looking at carrying one on my bike and want to travel light

I’ve looked at this threat and the Rab name comes up a lot, and I have looked at there web site

But which down bag out of the Rab range ? would I need to be very warm, light, and small don’t want to be flash but not that bothered about price as if I do buy another bag I’m hoping its going to get a lot of use over the next few years

I’m 6’2” around 14.5 stone ( but back at the gym next week so hoping on 13.5-14 stone soon :laugh: )

Would the down bag be that much small than my Snugpak Premier 3

Sorry for all my questions but like I said I’m new to this thanks for reading this far

Louis
Alun

Post by Alun »

Louisdut wrote:More Help please

Ok a little info before my questions

New to the adventure travel, when I have been on my bike trips before I’ve always stayed in B&B/hotels etc (so know feck all about camping in the middle of nowhere but looking forwards to it)

I have a great sleeping bag a Snugpak Premier 3 which was brought for when I race and I always go in the van so size is not an issue

I’m now looking at carrying one on my bike and want to travel light

I’ve looked at this threat and the Rab name comes up a lot, and I have looked at there web site

But which down bag out of the Rab range ? would I need to be very warm, light, and small don’t want to be flash but not that bothered about price as if I do buy another bag I’m hoping its going to get a lot of use over the next few years

I’m 6’2” around 14.5 stone ( but back at the gym next week so hoping on 13.5-14 stone soon :laugh: )

Would the down bag be that much small than my Snugpak Premier 3

Sorry for all my questions but like I said I’m new to this thanks for reading this far

Louis
Hi Louis

Your Snugpack weighs in at 1900gms and packs down to 25*22

The Rab Neutrino 600 will provide you with a simillar comfort rating and weighs in at 1050gms and will pack down a lot smaller than the Snugpack in a compression stuff sack.

The Neutrino rrp is £290 but there are deals about.

I'm 6ft 2in and 16st 10lb and they fit.
Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

Alun wrote: Hi Louis

Your Snugpack weighs in at 1900gms and packs down to 25*22

The Rab Neutrino 600 will provide you with a simillar comfort rating and weighs in at 1050gms and will pack down a lot smaller than the Snugpack in a compression stuff sack.

The Neutrino rrp is £290 but there are deals about.

I'm 6ft 2in and 16st 10lb and they fit.
Cheers for that :) will look at them

Its the smaller size when compressed that I'm looking for the Snugpack still seems big even when compressed

Cheers

Louis
dmitrij

Post by dmitrij »

Check out alpkit.com

Good down bags at even better prices
Selous

Post by Selous »

I would suggest a number of things NOT to do, buy from Army & Navy 2nd Hand, I know what suadies get up to in the bags :blush: & they have been well used, if it was the old style Army Green Maggot you could hold it up in the light & see the lack of feathers in side!! the thing, if you did get your hands on a Army Doss bag, new style sleeping system, make sure you get a Bivi bag with it & compression sack with it, look over the zip very carefully.

I would suggest you always get a silk Liner, this keeps your bag relitivley clean from day to day, from grim sweat etc, however I did find I got too hot in some countries with it in, so just left the zippier open, or the bag as a blanket.

Whatever type of bag you get it down to pers choice & £££, but as others have said if you been riding all day want something to help you sleep & be comfey.

I have 2 sleeping bags, a down 1 & my Army Sleeping System, (just got it changed at the Stores :whistle: a little while ago er herm B)

I will say when using a stuff sack pack it in, & when pull the compression straps do not do them too tight, so if you do have to squeeze it in to a tight spot you still h ave a bit of squeeze space in the sack.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”