Got to go.

Bikers and riding
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Got to go.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Sadly, there's no index of green lanes nationally.

The new TRF website...which looks like something from the early 1990s...did have a link to something called 'Byway Maps', but it was pretty hopeless as it :

1) Took no account of TROs

2) Didn't show any of the UCRs, which make up a considerable amount of the green road network

I think they may have taken the link down now.

Personally I think the best method of finding green lanes is to buy an OS Map of the area, look for the BOATS and ORPAs (most of which are UCRs) then ride out and find them. If there's no sign saying they are subject to closure, ride them.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Bell bottoms by eck I must be getting old I remember when you could flounce all the way down the street in those and wearing a shirt with a flower pattern 8-)

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:12 am Sadly, there's no index of green lanes nationally.
Personally I think the best method of finding green lanes is to buy an OS Map of the area, look for the BOATS and ORPAs (most of which are UCRs) then ride out and find them. If there's no sign saying they are subject to closure, ride them.

Yes .. that is exactly what i am now beginning to do.
Suddenly, `the penny has dropped.`
.. on how to find these lanes/trails
They are clearly marked on the OS maps,
.. read 'em and ride 'em!
that's the only way an individual can get to do it.

the TRF don't seem to give maps out willy nilly,
unless you are `in` or want secret gpx files.
I found swtrf very poor in this respect
(tho good for tough group rides in `follow my leader`)

Riders who know the lanes have gained their hard-earned knowledge through personal perseverance
and will not readily share their hard tedious work. especially to `jack the lad`.

like Richard says ... study the maps and go ride !!

ps .. the newer OS maps you buy have got a `mobile download` facility (scratch to find code on cover)
so i am hoping i can download and print certain areas for trails :)

pps ... my thoughts are .. if the lane shows ok on the map.. ride it, and worry about `list of streets`, `dmmos`,`definitive maps`, tro's, council permissions, legalities, etc afterwards ............... .. ( ie .. after you new bike has been crushed :mrgreen: )
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hornet

Post by hornet »

Suffolk TRF are a good bunch a chaps although not a huge group. The best thing I did was make myself known and went along with some maps asked lots of questions took a note book and pen and jotted away and my highlighters set to work on where I could ride.

They happily helped me out and took me on a ride out all before I'd joined. The same ethos works today we would rather people rode legally and understood the bigger picture.

Giving out maps or gpx's without an understanding of sensitive areas is perhaps not the best idea. Lanes and routes are not a secret they are all there to be seen many councils have definitive maps available online you have apps like view ranger, street map and trailwise.

However finding them while on the bike and knowing which way to go when it forks or turns and linking up the road works you could just pay 45 quid and learn the routes by following a run leader.

Recently out of curiosity I asked a welsh tour guide for prices £70 each for a 1 day ride to ride all legal tracks available to the general public.

Pay your money take your choice.

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

Well..when I joined the Devon TRF I simply paid my sub and was sent a digital copy of all the lanes and info that was related ...didn't have to go on any runs or attend meetings.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

In one respect it's a good job captains gone, otherwise we would all be still in the dark with TRF.......slight top change gents......all the best captain, I enjoyed some of the rows he had :lol:
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

willywombat64 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:00 pm Well..when I joined the Devon TRF I simply paid my sub and was sent a digital copy of all the lanes and info that was related ...didn't have to go on any runs or attend meetings.
When I tried to join a few years back.
My membership was gratefully accepted but when I told them I had an old XR 600 and that this was my only bike.
I was told I could not bring that on any rideouts as it was far too big. they only accepted bikes upto 400cc.
They still wanted me to be a fully paid up member and volunteer my time but definitely no riding with them.
Even if the policy is or has changed since then, I will never have anything to do with TRF thanks to this.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

that must have been the individual group...not the TRF as an organisation.

most TRF groups will 'encourage' people to buy appropriate bikes...I know of one guy who tried to start trail riding on a Honda Valdero...he soon changed to a much smaller, lighter bike. And there are some routes where a big adventure bike just isn't appropriate...I remember many rears ago a guy rocking up with what seemed like a massive bike at the time: a BMW 800G/S. He was a good rider, but there was the inevitable cylinder/rut interface problem.

We ended up finding two abandoned fence-posts in a hedge...threaded them through the wheels and carried it like a Sedan Chair.
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

removed as off topic
Last edited by bill_qaz on Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

same here .. I was the only one to brave the bike ride along the M4 from Wales to Salisbury Plain, with my tent and backpack .. the rest came in vans/pickups/luxury campas (plus awning)
I was on my TTR600 .. while the rest were on smaller enduro type bikes.

Imagettrbrian by gary boy, on Flickr

I was virtually ignored .. and even left out of a round of coffee from the luxury camper.
the day (night rather) was saved somewhat by Christian turning up for a fantastic evening at the bar 8-) :lol:

the day of the run, there was no consultation or explanation as to where we were going/ type of tracks etc.
of course, they led me down some very heavy ruts and i got well stuck and knackered
(I know there are easy routes)
so i went back to the camp site and fucked off home
That was (almost) my last with the TRF (swtrf)

The meeting after, the guy who left me out for coffee round, insisted that no `beginners` were allowed on the Spain trip (me obviously)

That finalised it for me .
Last edited by garyboy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”