What's The Best, No Nonsense, do it all Green Lane Bike?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: What's The Best, No Nonsense, do it all Green Lane Bike?

Post by SteveW »

johnnyboxer wrote:
SteveW wrote:I've got a XR250r, which I think is quite good and comfy on the road. It'll run along at 60mph without too much bother and easily top 70mph on the straights. I also think it would be a good commuter. Just a lack of an electric start marks it down.
It sits in my garage in Bulgaria for months at a time, then second or third kick off it goes.
So, why mark it down, it starts easily so is no big deal

If you can't kickstart a 250 easily - should we give up

C'mon really - it ain't a big 600cc thumper, it's a pussy to start
Good points. But if you are stuck on a awkward slope, with a hot engine, on a XR you've still got to fold out the kick start with your foot, then balance whilst you kick it and with a hot engine that may be a few kicks.
Got to be easier with a button in those situations.
Shaun4stroke

Post by Shaun4stroke »

I must be old school as I had a ttr 250 and it was heavy numb and boaring power delivery. My last green lane bike was a ktm exc125 loved it also husky wr125 and rmx250 all so easy to start and problem free.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

The KTM 400 EXC is an excellent green lane bike with a silky smooth power delivery and no power band to catch you out. The DRZ400E is good too but a touch too heavy, in my opinion.

How about a Honda XR400R? Apart from an electric start it's a good all-rounder and would fit the bill as being 'no nonsense'.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
XR400STUPOT

Post by XR400STUPOT »

Its the DRZ for me. Can easily convert from a Trail bike to an Adventure bike and back.
Works for me. I call mine DoRiZ, bit sad really.
Bart1

Post by Bart1 »

So if the DRZ's faults are it is a bit heavy and has a narrow ratio gearbox how about a CCM404 with a ACT wide ratio gears fitted, these give a 27% wider ratio range so in essence you could have 14/47 gearing but fifth gear would be like 16/41 ! !
chrisinflight

Post by chrisinflight »

The problem with the DRZ narrow box is too many people gear down for trails leaving the ride too buzzy on the road.

Try and ride offroad with stock 15/44 sprockets, it suits me fine. (thumbs) I,ve never stalled and only used the clutch on really steep climbs such as Gatesgarth in the lakes. The higher gear aids traction on climbs.
For those convinced of the need for a 6speed here are some facts from gearing commander.

DR350. 76.7 mph @7500 rpm in 6th
DRZ400. 78.9 mph @7500 rpm in 5th.

Both with 15/44 sprockets. The DRZ has better clearance, suspension, handling, power and looks better so think twice before you trade down for a DR350. :)
2016 Beta 300rr- In the 2 stroke come-back club!

Grimetime

Post by Grimetime »

XR400STUPOT wrote:Its the DRZ for me. Can easily convert from a Trail bike to an Adventure bike and back.
Works for me. I call mine DoRiZ, bit sad really.
Beautiful looking bike, i use wolfman expedition panniers too how great are they!?!
Doug Haywood
scooby

Post by scooby »

The Drz is a good bike but I still prefer an xr400 with or without electric start , I'm on my third but it's the first I've had with an electric start. You can commute on it no problem.
XR400STUPOT

Post by XR400STUPOT »

scooby wrote:The Drz is a good bike but I still prefer an xr400 with or without electric start , I'm on my third but it's the first I've had with an electric start. You can commute on it no problem.
Know what you mean Scoob. My opinion is that the Mighty XR400 is a better dirt bike but the DRZ is a better all-round bike. Horses for courses as they say.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

SteveW wrote:For me it would be a DRZ400. Doesn't have to be the e model.
Enough power, reasonable price, £2500 should get you a good'un, tough, plenty still around and electric start. Get one set up nicely and they are great fun.
It's the kind of bike that you can learn on, then when you get into the swing it's got enough shove to keep you interested.
Good grief.
Everybody knows it's a KTM.
I have seen riders of DRZ's try a borrowed KT in interesting conditions and then first chance they get they flog their bikes and go orange. Abs no contest. :dry:

Return to “BIKES”