Stoves - a waste of space!

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Sprockette

Re: Stoves - a waste of space!

Post by Sprockette »

I'm new to "adventuring" (if that's the right word for it) by motorbike but I have always taken mess tins and a hexamine burner when I go hiking/camping/backpacking, might leave a little bit of black stuff on the underside of the tin but that comes off with a quick rub on the grass/earth. The fuel fits inside the fold-up burner which fits inside the small mess tin which fits inside the larger mess tin. Perfect Russian doll type compactness. Weave a tea towel in amongst it all and it won't even rattle. Its cheap and the fuel is easy to come by in most countries, it doesn't leak and is not flammable in the way petrol/parafin is. I believe the correct term for the robustness of mess tins is "squaddie proof". Of course, learning to cook on fires/embers is always a good idea although not necessarily always legal in a lot of European countries. And that assumes you like the twang of woodsmoke in everything you eat.

And anyway, nice to wash with hot water on those frosty mornings just after you've had a nice cup of earl grey.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Sprockette wrote:...wash...
WASH?! Wash, you say? Wh... eh?

If I read any more of this heresy.....
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Trevor Twobikes wrote:Lizzie, Gentlemen

Many thanks for your responses; I've thoroughly enjoyed the banter.:laugh:
I humbly bow to your collective wisdom.....Now where have I put my Coleman.:unsure:
I was wondering how I would fair if I turned up at the "First to the boil rally"
without a stove, would I be excluded?:(
Excluded no
Exicuted yes :lol:
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
snaphappy

Post by snaphappy »

Sprockette, welcome to the site...
We were issued hexi cookers and I only used them in dire emergencies, off the top of my head maybe 3 times and every time I swore would be the last. You really have to get to the boil off and see Aluns collection of cookers then decide on what would be a better alternative for you.

(hexiblocks.................need a shaking head smilie)
For more info click on the Dambuster Signature banner

Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome snaphappy, this is a great site.

I think the cooker thing is all down to what you're willing to carry and, dare I say it, put up with. I love hexy burners for their compactness and ease of use, once you've had a bit of practice. I suppose I might be biased as we used them in the army cadets, the ATC and then the army so I've used them for years. I've tried a friend's trangia thing which was brilliant but having to carry the fuel and everything separately was not for me as I like to take as little as possible (maybe I've been brain washed by the army eh? lol). Maybe that will be different now that I'm going to be travelling on a bike instead of by foot! I think I'd still like to take as little as possible though.

Its all down to personal choice though, stove or not, liquid, solid or gas fuel or roadside cafe. I would definitely say have a practice with the one you get before you go, it may not be the right one for you.

One thing though, hexistove + confined spaces = bad, bad, bad!
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

What you really want ! Is the perfectly formed pocket sized MSR Pocket Rocket, fits in little red box, controlable and goes like a rocket when you turn up the gas. No black marks either. :)
MSR Pocket Rocket.jpg
MSR Pocket Rocket.jpg (29.85 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
MSR Pocket Rocket 2.jpg
MSR Pocket Rocket 2.jpg (29.21 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
appleby

Post by appleby »

Camping & cooking is the same thing . . . Innit?

This Crustacean took my mackeral/squid bait intended for Cod last Winter!

What better than fresh Lobster when it's 5 below outside?
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Mr Toad wrote:What you really want ! Is the perfectly formed pocket sized MSR Pocket Rocket, fits in little red box, controlable and goes like a rocket when you turn up the gas. No black marks either. :)
Who said size wasn't important!:P

I'm with Sprockette, the less luggage on my bike the better so a pocket rocket it is!!!
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

Mr Toad wrote:What you really want ! Is the perfectly formed pocket sized MSR Pocket Rocket, fits in little red box, controlable and goes like a rocket when you turn up the gas. No black marks either. :)
MSR Pocket Rocket.jpg
MSR Pocket Rocket 2.jpg
Who actually makes the MSR Pocket Rocket ??
Because i have a Gelert Intensity stove, and its identical to the Pocket Rocket in every way. The only difference is the triangular plastic case, which is blue and has Gelert moulded into it, instead of being orange and MSR moulded into it.
It makes me think the same company makes these micro stoves and just brands them accordingly and ships them out to different company's.
davsato

Post by davsato »

i got one even smaller than that, a ting tong from ebay, tiny could be used as a keyring! prefer the trangia, the smaller the stove the smaller the hotspot on the botton of the pan
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”