Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Alun

Re: Down Sleeping Bags Which one?

Post by Alun »

ipswichbiker wrote:
Alun did you contact http://www.rab.uk.com/ when you wanted an extra large/long?
I did, but it was about 10 years ago and I know all the people who work there through Adventure Travel magazine. I'll ask them on Monday what's the best way to go about this if you want. How tall are you?
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Thank you that is very kind. 5'11" tall so thats not the prob the real issue is how wide am I? Not really sure how to measure it but when I lay on the floor with arms at side it is 71cm from the outside edge of one arm to the outside edge of another. When I sleep I like to be able to move about a bit and tightly cut mummy bags are very restrictive. On Sat Im going to try a Rab Ascent 500 which is described as a wide mummy cut and Snugpak Softie Chrysalis expedition which has a build in expansion panel but weighs 2.4kg and isnt so small to pack. Any further info or advice would be much appreciated.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Bushman_uk wrote:I have just purchased an outwell down bag, a rectangular one as i hate the mummy type bags, like a bit of movement. Underneath the sleeping bag i am using an exped synmat 7 dlx, hopefully the two shall keep me warm enough, going to Germany a week Wednesday for a camping weekend, i suspect it may be chilly at night so i will let you know how i get on

AAAAA 031.jpg
I used that same Synmat in the Summer when I went around Europe, it got a slow puncture after 2 weeks so keep the repair kit that they supply you with handy.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Alun wrote:Can't fault the RAB, but if you're looking for a less expensive quality alternative the Lifeventure Downlight 900 we features in ABR 1 is a good buy at just under £90. Packs down small, weighs 900gms and its treated with an anti mosquito/bug/bacteria coating, which is always handy for some of the less expensive Moroccan establishments.
Got one of these Life venture 900 3 season bag which are good to -10 - currently on sale in Field & Trek at £70 - really light and they come in a waterproof bag.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Thanks for the info

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Jim Lovell

Post by Jim Lovell »

My Downlite 900 just arrived on a DHL van from sports direct £70 and free delivery, Its great just hopped in it with my clothes on plenty of room, i didnt want to get out again.
Thanks Alun good advice mate.:)
Real men ride twins ;-)
Alun

Post by Alun »

ipswichbiker wrote:Thank you that is very kind. 5'11" tall so thats not the prob the real issue is how wide am I?
I've spoken to RAB this morning and whilst they still do the Extra Long bags they don't do the Extra Wide. Check out the Vaude Kiowa 500 which we reviewed in issue 1 of ABR, it's wider than most. It's a synthetic fill and has a comfort rating of 1c but I reckon it's good for way below that.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

Alun wrote:
ipswichbiker wrote:Thank you that is very kind. 5'11" tall so thats not the prob the real issue is how wide am I?
I think that Alun, Bushman and Treadeater can confirm that in the wide stakes I can put myself squarely if not roundly into that category and I was very surprised that my Life Venture 900 3 season bag gives me a lot more room than other mummy bags that I have used in the past. Normally I am stuffed into them without much of a turning circle but the Life Venture 900 allows me a lot more freedom (not a good thing though where my hands are concerned) :whistle:
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

I think that Alun, Bushman and Treadtrader can confirm that in the wide stakes I can put myself squarely if not roundly into that category and I was very surprised that my Life Venture 900 3 season bag gives me a lot more room than other mummy bags that I have used in the past. Normally I am stuffed into them without much of a turning circle but the Life Venture 900 allows me a lot more freedom (not a good thing though where my hands are concerned) :whistle:[/quote]

Yes it's a good job we can get comfy sizes Martin. :woohoo:
Fixed ya spelling mate. ;)
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Tried out a number of bags today. Rab Ascents were a bit on the cosy side. The snugpak softie chrysalis winter was roomy but pretty large pack size. Did try out Vaude Sherpa 650 which is a rectangular down filled bag and roomy.

But a bit pricy at around £200

I didnt get to try the downlite 900 as Field and Trek in Canterbury has become a trendy wine bar or something.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”