Best outdoor cooking practice

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Nicoli

Re: Best outdoor cooking practice

Post by Nicoli »

I learnt a very handy trick on my last camping outing...

...bring the misses.

She makes a damn good curry off my little camping stove :)

But yeah I just use a little gas stove, and mess tins. Has kept me fed perfectly fine :)
Farky

Post by Farky »

When I spent 2 weeks round France last year, I used self sealing - boilable bags - to seal my own meals and sauces for the base of meals. Once you vacuum out the air (bought machine for about £25), you have a nice stay fresh meal ready to boil.

I also bought a Jetboil - not mentioned in the article I noticed Alun.

Jetboil was a pretty hefty purchase but I liked the quick boil idea for a cuppa at the roadside. Gas tanks which are pretty standard make it easy to top up and I only used 1 full tank all trip. I also got the frying pan and plate kit so I could fry up whatever I got hold of - add in a few tins of tomato puree and some onions and a wee spice carier and its a mobile curry kitchen!

You wanna see the look of the guys camping wild beside me in the Alps...local Spaniards/Basques, where obviously the men dont cook...shock horror and amazement all in one as I opened up the side pannier and cooked myself a big veggie curry! Yum.
GIDEON

Post by GIDEON »

I better just save the threats cant keep on making notes anymore
Thanks lots of useful info
"Horsepower is an illusory Mathematical equation

Torque is the source of all Good things in the world"
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

GIDEON wrote:I better just save the threats cant keep on making notes anymore
Thanks lots of useful info
Use the notes to start a fire then start cooking! :lol:
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
lmg

Post by lmg »

I have a Coleman dualfuel 533 which I cart around. Sure its petrol, but I have a sealed fuel flask for my unleaded fuel. Talk about power - 5 or 6 good pumps and I could weld with the flame.

Somebody gave me a Swedish Army trangia - one of those metal green ovals - but I havent a clue as how to use it or what the best fuel to use in it would be. Somoene ones suggested B&Q meth spirit but not sure...

I also have a supply of army hex burners and hex cakes, and always carry a set around in my bug out tin on the bike. Never know when you will have to brew up!
Cheers,

Leigh (LMG)

ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

For when you are feeling a bit Lewis and Clark but still want a sunday roast. Surely if you can pack it on a horse you can pack it on a bike somewhere?
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

trophydave

Post by trophydave »

lmg wrote:Somebody gave me a Swedish Army trangia - one of those metal green ovals - but I havent a clue as how to use it or what the best fuel to use in it would be. Somoene ones suggested B&Q meth spirit but not sure...
I have got one of those,they use meths.
Scrump

Re:Best outdoor cooking practice

Post by Scrump »

snaphappy wrote:I'll stick to the Swedish Army trangia, excellent piece of kit I also have a Coleman petrol stove but it packed in on a trip and we were forced to use the one trangia for us all, after the third day and no spirit left we cooked on vodka
Same goes for me too trangia on meths/petrol/vodka - top bit of kit in MHO that uses the KISS method of cooking which always works best for me!:)
For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travels sake. The great affair is to move
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

ipswichbiker wrote:Image

For when you are feeling a bit Lewis and Clark but still want a sunday roast. Surely if you can pack it on a horse you can pack it on a bike somewhere?
my wife has one of those pots , and uses it at home and when camping (car) . Great piece of kit . They are heavy though being cast iron.

She has a cast iron frying pan same size...... so you can warm your bagels while cooking your breakfast.

and quality cast iron BBQ .. but these are only for car camping , as just alittle to heavy for my bike . :whistle:
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Ive used one when car camping for roast chicken, pot roast beef and assorted baking. Very versatile but yes very heavy and pretty fragile being cast iron.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”