Any way to stop all these emails?

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
*Touring Ted*

Re: Any way to stop all these emails?

Post by *Touring Ted* »

I don't know why they send a notification email for EVERY single reply. That's pretty lame and totally unnecessary.

Most forums send you ONE email if a thread is updated and won't send you another email UNTIL you have visited the thread.

I do find myself ticking the unsubscribe box just because I don't want 50 emails sent to my phone and then missing any updates on the thread.

Please sort it out please ABR B)
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

@Orlando Orange

Setting up rules... can I do that using Hotmail?
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

-Ralph- wrote:@Orlando Orange

Setting up rules... can I do that using Hotmail?
yup... well i did it on yahoo so i can't see why not... should be an option under account settings or summin'... quite simple just copy the ABR address, create a new folder, and add a rule to send everything from the ABR addy into that folder....
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
appleby

Bumpety bump bump ... bump bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by appleby »

Orlando_Orange wrote:as i mentioned before in another thread on the same subject, the default setting can be changed by admins to leave the box un-ticked...
Did this pearl of wisdom ever reach the virtual doormat of the powers that be?
I think we all know how to unsubscribe, but being human & all that, forget from time to time! :(
Boris

Re: Bumpety bump bump ... bump bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Boris »

appleby wrote:
Orlando_Orange wrote:as i mentioned before in another thread on the same subject, the default setting can be changed by admins to leave the box un-ticked...
Did this pearl of wisdom ever reach the virtual doormat of the powers that be?
I think we all know how to unsubscribe, but being human & all that, forget from time to time! :(
Well today all these emails have found themselves into the spam folder of gmail so it looks like enough people are deleting them without reading google has decided that they are spam.

I suppose it's only a matter of time before the whole domain is blacklisted as a source of spam and once that's happened it's nearly impossible to get it unblocked.

You really are shooting yourselves in the foot having auto subscribe and mutliple emails enabled.
ipswichbiker

Post by ipswichbiker »

Just untick the box. It's not that hard.
I went to the Caribbean on holiday with my wife last year.

Jamaica?

No, she wanted to.

Boris

Post by Boris »

ipswichbiker wrote:Just untick the box. It's not that hard.
Haha. You just don't get it do you.

people are lazy and forget to untick the box each time so they don't bother and when the umpteen emails flood in they just hit the spam button on gmail and hey presto. No more emails from ABR. Problem is when enough people do that Google learns and then starts allocating ALL emails to ALL users from adventurebikerider.com as spam. No more magazine renewal or subscription emails will get to the end users and soon all mail will be automatically marked as spam.

It's no skin off my nose whether ABR is seen as a purveyor of spam or not, but if I owned the domain I would be doing everything in my power to ensure that doesn't happen.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I think it's a bit annoying as I frequently forget to unsubscribe and agree the priority should be the other way (I use an obscure email address that I never look at) but certainly don't think it justifies getting narked with the site admin who run a really good, popular and FREE site for our benefit:cheer:
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

Boris wrote:
ipswichbiker wrote:Just untick the box. It's not that hard.
Haha. You just don't get it do you.

people are lazy and forget to untick the box each time so they don't bother and when the umpteen emails flood in they just hit the spam button on gmail and hey presto. No more emails from ABR. Problem is when enough people do that Google learns and then starts allocating ALL emails to ALL users from adventurebikerider.com as spam. No more magazine renewal or subscription emails will get to the end users and soon all mail will be automatically marked as spam.

It's no skin off my nose whether ABR is seen as a purveyor of spam or not, but if I owned the domain I would be doing everything in my power to ensure that doesn't happen.
a good point well made boris...

edit: oops forgot to unsubscribe!! i actually find it easier to tick the "unsubscribe" box after your post has been posted as i never remember to untick the box before posting...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Quick reply is getting a bit more use now!

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”