Recommend me a compact tent

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
ChasF

Re: Recommend me a compact tent

Post by ChasF »

It is incredibly small and very light but as ever it's a bit of a challenge getting it back in the bag but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually B)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

if space is king, cut up the poles and re spigot them and pack it around the bike, done this for years, dont think a couple of kilos on an adventure bike will make that much difference.

steve
Dutchgit

Post by Dutchgit »

I've got a Coleman Coastline 3 Compact. It's a nice enough tent for two and gear but the poles were a bit long (about 50 cm per section) and as they got a bit old and started to break up I bought aluminium poles which had shorter 35 cm sections. I keep them separate on the bike and was able to stuff the rest of the tent in its original (quite generous) bag only using half the space ! (thumbs)
It'll end in tears I tells ya.
GFJ1

Post by GFJ1 »

I've been using something v similar to the karrimor panther 2, avail from sports direct (reduced to £63, as opposed to 140 when I bought mine)

Semi geodisc so stable, and good in snow and gales.

Excellent tent for one with all kit in tent alongside, or 2 with kit in awnings. Negative is the limited shelter in the awning if you want to cook with the outer door open.

Fits in a large top box with a roll mat, or just strap across rear of bike.
GB

Post by GB »

Ive been impressed with my Naturehike 2man tent (copy of the Big Agnes fly creek) 1200grams and a pack size the quarter of a coleman Phad2
Finally back on a GS :D
Flightrisk

Post by Flightrisk »

I have started using a Luxe Mega Horn II teepee style tent and really happy with it. http://www.luxeoutdoor.com/eng/catalog- ... fpath=/173 The internal space means that I can shelter inside, and easily cook, when conditions are bad outside is a huge plus. Having the height to stand up inside to get changed or hang wet gear has proved to be a revelation compared to the usual wriggling! It has been completely watertight so far, even in thunderous downpours, stood up to some strong gusts, and has a lot of ventilation on hot days. I have added a few heavier duty pegs and a 1x2m tarp for the floor area.
waynecoluk

Post by waynecoluk »

I buy Hi Gear stuff from Go out doors....I know what you're all thinking but as chasf said he wanted something for very occasional use and in decent weather. I have a 3 man tent from Hi Gear, it was £40 new and is a 3 man. It's quick to erect, less than 4kg, is big inside and the new one will fit in a BMW pannier.
We have just come back from the Swiss Alps and camped for 2 nights in Andermatt and for one night it pissed it down. I stayed completely dry.
Why pay a lot of money for something for occasioanl use? The Hi Gear tents are fantastic for just that.
2016 BMW 1200GSA

2013 Triumph Street Triple
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

waynecoluk wrote:I buy Hi Gear stuff from Go out doors....I know what you're all thinking but as chasf said he wanted something for very occasional use and in decent weather. I have a 3 man tent from Hi Gear, it was £40 new and is a 3 man. It's quick to erect, less than 4kg, is big inside and the new one will fit in a BMW pannier.
We have just come back from the Swiss Alps and camped for 2 nights in Andermatt and for one night it pissed it down. I stayed completely dry.
Why pay a lot of money for something for occasioanl use? The Hi Gear tents are fantastic for just that.
Spot on!

There are so many tents on the market it's worth really looking around to pin down exactly what your priorities are. For me it is very important that the whole set of camping kit we are planning to carry on the bike is very light and compact. If it's too hot or there is any chance of rain or high winds we'll be off to a hotel. The only thing in our kit that could be replaced with something more compact is the thermarest mattresses but the double exped mattresses are 200 euros plus so that'll have to wait until next year, and will probably be the subject of another 'recommend me' thread as there is a lot of great advice on here
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

For anyone still looking, Blacks is doing the Marmot Limelight 2 for £89 with free delivery. I haven't tried it yet but seems bloody good value.
gbags

Post by gbags »

Exped are brilliant but expensive.
The Mira III is a great two-man hot weather tent and the build quality is the best.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”