ABR Yorkshire Moors 'Ecky Thump' Rally 11th - 14th October

johnnyboxer

Re: ABR Yorkshire Moors 'Ecky Thump' Rally 11th - 14th October

Post by johnnyboxer »

beddowsm wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: It kinda scares me that people are coming, who are novices to the area and are relying on OL maps to 'go ride the trails', especially at a time when trailriding is pretty sensitive

Surely it would be better to approach Teesside TRF who could maybe supply a couple of leaders with correct knowledge, so everyone would have a better day out?

Knowledge gained on NY Moors has taken years to accumulate and the terrain isn't easy to read/follow from a map and people might be riding the trails incorrectly

I've been stopped by Police up in Danby recently and they are checking bikes/riders

Just a thought :)
Dont let it scare you. No offense but it isnt rocket science to plan and lead a group of riders. Ive been doing it for 3 years and never had any issues. Ive already said (and I think you have offered as well) that Id point out a few suitable trails in the local area. I dont think anyone has said they are just coming armed with OS maps and no further knowledge. But nothing stops people doing that. Yes, its better to be part of an organised ride with a leader who knows where they are going.......but its not hard to gain this knowledge by just riding and finding whats around using an OS map and common sense. Only my opinions.

By all means contact the TRF and see if they would supply a leader, under 2 weeks to go so get cracking. Contact details can be found on the TRF website if youre not already a member. Let us know how you get on.
Now I'm confused.....................I THOUGHT you were the offroad Run Leader and yes I did offer, but you never contacted me?

No, it's not rocket science, but many lanes aren't shown on OS maps or Trailwise correctly

Some are now subject to TRO's, hence my suggestion that you and anyone else proposing to ride the lanes should contact the local TRF to see if they can help

Never been to to an ABR Rally, but it seems lke a bit of a 'turn up and ride' affair rather than requesting help from locals who live and ride in that area

I don't need a run leader for myself, been riding here for 20 years - but if I was going to Wales or Devon - for a proposed future rally then the first thing I'd do is contact the TRF for help
Just my thoughts
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Johnny, PM on its way.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

beddowsm wrote:Johnny, PM on its way.
Rec'd and replied :)

With money we don't have

xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

beddowsm wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote: It kinda scares me that people are coming, who are novices to the area and are relying on OL maps to 'go ride the trails', especially at a time when trailriding is pretty sensitive

Surely it would be better to approach Teesside TRF who could maybe supply a couple of leaders with correct knowledge, so everyone would have a better day out?

Knowledge gained on NY Moors has taken years to accumulate and the terrain isn't easy to read/follow from a map and people might be riding the trails incorrectly

I've been stopped by Police up in Danby recently and they are checking bikes/riders

Just a thought :)
Dont let it scare you. No offense but it isnt rocket science to plan and lead a group of riders. Ive been doing it for 3 years and never had any issues. Ive already said (and I think you have offered as well) that Id point out a few suitable trails in the local area. I dont think anyone has said they are just coming armed with OS maps and no further knowledge. But nothing stops people doing that. Yes, its better to be part of an organised ride with a leader who knows where they are going.......but its not hard to gain this knowledge by just riding and finding whats around using an OS map and common sense. Only my opinions.

By all means contact the TRF and see if they would supply a leader, under 2 weeks to go so get cracking. Contact details can be found on the TRF website if youre not already a member. Let us know how you get on.
I hear both sides of the debate, I have no desire to upset the locals or get into trouble with the FEDs.
Yes an experienced leader would make would make progress quicker & I'd probably learn the easy way (the experience of others) instead of the hard way :pinch:

But the word "Adventure" gets diluted a bit when you get shown round.

I'll get in touch with Teeside TRF & see what they have to say.

I would be grateful if you could PM me some grid references of the tracks you feel suitable Mike, so I can plot a route & check with the relevant authorities (If you haven't already done so) & let me know what you drink, saves time in the pub ;)

Rick
Picklehoffer

Post by Picklehoffer »

Er, so who IS leading this "easier off-road ride" then? And can it be confirmed which day it's on?
Ta! :lol:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Who is available for the friday?

With money we don't have

xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Picklehoffer wrote:Er, so who IS leading this "easier off-road ride" then? And can it be confirmed which day it's on?
I still intend to lead the group on saturday.

I'm getting some routes together then I'll get in touch with the TRF, it's a bit late in the day to expect someone else to lead.

There is the possibility of me going up on the thursday if you're thinking of a ride on friday as well Johnnyboxer

Rick
doctorzippy

ABR Yorkshire Moors 'Ecky Thump' Rally 11th - 14th October

Post by doctorzippy »

On a slightly different note, I'm afraid I'm going to have to relinquish my place on the rally. Hope you all have a great time and if I can make the November one I'll see you all then...

Paul
Life is a journey, not a destination
Picklehoffer

Post by Picklehoffer »

xtzrick wrote: I still intend to lead the group on saturday.

I'm getting some routes together then I'll get in touch with the TRF, it's a bit late in the day to expect someone else to lead.

There is the possibility of me going up on the thursday if you're thinking of a ride on friday as well Johnnyboxer

Rick
Thanks mate....we'll muddle through it, no worries. That's what adventures are all about! :)

Really looking forward to meeting you all.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

xtzrick wrote:
Picklehoffer wrote:Er, so who IS leading this "easier off-road ride" then? And can it be confirmed which day it's on?
I still intend to lead the group on saturday.

Rick
hi all just want to clear up whats happening
is there two groups riding one hardcore [mike ]
mikes posted whats coming
too many ruts and mud for me and i appreciate the warning ..
thre will be no breaks ..its 6 hours full on with mike no stops or breaks ..it will probablly get real tough and i will get get too tired

up the steps at sarn helen is not what im looking for
...down ill have a go ??? ....

is there one for the less extream minded
not so easy but suited to a 200kg bike ... and whre a break and a butty maby forthcoming at 1 o clock .. or at least a pause after three hours between trails to eat a kit kat :evil:
johnny or extric ??? ....
i want to go trail riding and am not adverse to a bit of tough stuff but and dont want enter the haffren enduro when i go out ..

just want to see whats going on with the trail riders before i decide to ride down as its the trail riding i want to do ... ...
thanks
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “ABR Ecky Thump Rally Yorkshire Moors 11th – 14th October 2012”