Uprate your F800GS fork springs

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Udders

Re: Uprate your F800GS fork springs

Post by Udders »

Me? Surely not. :whistle:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks for the write up GB, only just read it as I`ve been in Chester all weekend (lovely weather on the M6 this morning!)
Mr Toad

Post by Mr Toad »

Many thanks for the post and very timely, I need/want to upgrade the springs and change the fork oil on the two XT's before we go off in May for a couple of weeks. This has tipped the balance between me doing it and paying a man who can. So many thanks. :)
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
stephen.stallebrass

Post by stephen.stallebrass »

This is when you use the cable tie to measure the air gap, on the F800GS it's 120mm, so mark 120mm on the cable tie then you can put it down the inside of the fork to measure the level, try not to drop it.
Great post, thanks for sharing! I'm doing my own fork springs 2mora except they're Yacugar progressive springs. I have a question that I hope you or someone else may be able to help with.

The 120mm air gap you mention: is that specific to the hyperpro springs or is that standard for all F800GS forks?

Thanks in advance.
stephen.stallebrass

Of course it's not standard... B) Bigger spring means less oil (OEM is 60mm). Yacugar is also 120mm, it says so on the sticker on the side of the box, which I didn't see, LOL. I guess I might have to shave some off the guide as well.
stephen.stallebrass

Finally got around to installing my Yacugar Progressive Spring kit... I found your how-to guide invaluable. I couldn't have done it without it, so a massive thank you. Upgrading my suspension: front and rear, have been the biggest DIY things I have ever done to my bike. I didn't do the seals though as they look good. I have to say the oil needed replacing, it was very black, compared to the new stuff which was nice and orange. I can see why it's supposed to be done ever couple of years. Mine is a 2008 and has done 41k miles so it was long overdue. Time to take it out for a ride and test it. Thanks again.

:)
GB

Post by GB »

Glad I could be of help, I'm not useless after all what my parents said :)
Finally back on a GS :D
GB

Post by GB »

I did the rear as well, kept a photo record but never posted it.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

And you will be posting it when? :P
GB

Post by GB »

It depends how I jolly well feel :P

Return to “HOW TO..........”