Get a Licence - the 3rd EU Driving Licence Directive (3DLD)

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Loggy

Re: Get a Licence - the 3rd EU Driving Licence Directive (3DLD)

Post by Loggy »

This legislation is a total farce and only reinforces the fact we are now living in a Dictorial regime. It beggars belief who keeps coming up with this rubbish. I possess an HGV Class One and PCV (Coach) licence and it's unbelievable what you have to do in order to keep them.

This will just put people off from riding bikes until they are 24 when they can get direct access. I will also suggest to ANYONE that has to send in their licence for ANY reason, to obtain a Freedom of Information request on your Driving Record. This is a thorough print out from the DVLA of all your Driving Licence History, what Categories were passed and when and only costs a fiver. This is essential, as I know far too many Drivers that have had their Licences back with Categories missing. A photocopy of your licence isn't proof enough apparently of Categories passed that have gone missing. Obtaining the information direct from the DVLA is proof of what categories you have should some go "missing"!
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
Ubique 895

Post by Ubique 895 »

Thanks for the tip Loggy.

Just out of interest - what do you have to do to keep your Hgv license's etc?

Cheers
"Quo Fas et Gloria Ducunt"
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Ubique 895 wrote:Thanks for the tip Loggy.

Just out of interest - what do you have to do to keep your Hgv license's etc?

Cheers

Hello mate,

Well once you have your licence (both HGV and PSV) it is valid until you reach 45 years old. You then have to go for a medical every 5 years until 65 and then need a medical every year after that. To drive commercially the licence holder has to complete 35 hours of training every 5 years in order to keep driving for a living (although the 35 hours is acceptible for both HGV and PSV) this is called the Certificate of Professional Competence (not to be confused with the other qualification of the same name that allows you to run a transport business) The driving licence whether Car, bike or HGV etc lasts for 10 years before a new photo is required. So in effect you need to renew your licence every ten years. The CPC is every 5 years and a card similar to a driving licence card is issued. So this needs replacing every 5 years. The same goes for the Digital Tachograph card, which is a another card like the photo driving licence and also lasts for 5 years and needs replacing every 5 years. So I have 3 cards that I need to keep updated.

Conditions like High Blood Pressure, eyesight below a certain standard and Diabetes will result in the loss of your vocational licence. I also have a Dangerous Goods licence called an ADR which, surprise surprise, also only lasts for 5 years before retraining is required. All in all it costs a hell of a lot of money to keep going, just as well the MOD pay for mine...

Like I said you really should apply for a history of your driving record otherwise if your licence comes back without a category your not going to be able to prove you passed the test unless you kept hold of your pass certificate.

Here is the link, go to the bottom of the page.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/data/relinfo ... quest.aspx
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

I think the idea of a stepped license system is good in priciple but this is not the way to go about it.

A 23 year old who has been riding since 16 is a far safer rider than a new one who has just turned 24. The idea that he needs to be re-tested like this is indeed a farce.

The proposed legislation does nothing to address the high-risk transient PTW users like 16 year olds using a scooter for a year before getting the Saxo with blacked-out windows.

Why not simply have a bhp restriction for 2 years after passing the one test (either DAS or A2)...and apply the same to cars?

Jon
J.A.M.

Post by J.A.M. »

Im 18, I passed my bike test last january and moved straight up to a ta700 from having a sanya sy125-11B (bit of a mouth full of a name) and a cbf125cc. im sure that if I had to do all the tests stated above it would drive me mad, the costs and all the limits to what you can ride would definately put a huge amount of people off. Personally, i think its another one of the governments little money making schemes (scams). However, saying that, moving slowly up through thr range of cc's does make sence, but the costs do not.
Feel bad for whoever has to go through all that to keep a passion alive!
chrisrowles1996

Post by chrisrowles1996 »

im 17 soon and am riding a aprilia rs 50 2007 and had in mind that i would get a zxr 400 by the time i was 17 and restrict it. but as im 17 next June it seems that im stuffed to be honest.. i have spoke to many bike dealers and experts who feel that the changes in law are going to affect motorbike trade and discourage young riders which is understandable. it looks like i will have to spend more money on a Yamaha yzf r 125 .. a slow four stroke that Evan my 50 could out accelerate .. by June 2013 i would like to have got the 125 version of mine (aprilia rs 125 2T) which also seems impossible as they are deciding to stop the production of 2 strokes as they don't comply with the right euro carbon emissions as 4 strokes do :/ i hope that the laws by next year who be returned to the current laws at the moment as the government would see that the bike industry is going extinct !!!
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

I was speaking to an Aprilia dealer recently who advised me that they had stopped production of the RS125 some time ago (maybe 2 years or so). There were a handful of 11kW restricted versions left but all the 18kW (FP versions) had been sold out by early 2012.

There are plenty of secondhand bikes available still but the number of unmolested examples is dwindling rapidly - a symptom of the ownership profile!

Good luck & don't let the legislation stop you enjoying motorcycling.

Jon
chrisrowles1996

thanks jon .. 2 years ago ?! wow ... a local aprilia dealer also explained that it could be a good thing and benefit me as 2 strokes would become rare and my rs 50 could become higher in price to when i come to sell the bike and also the fact that i haven't seen another model of mine around since i got my bike early this June.. hopefully the laws and ridiculous changes wont apply later in 2013. thanks
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Interesting comemnt about them becoming rare. My 2009 RS125FP drew a small crowd at Box Hill yesterday! I'm intending to keep it 100% standard (except the tail tidy) because it's fast enough and they ARE reliable bikes if treated properly.

We shall never see the likes of the great 2 strokes again (sob) :blink: :unsure:

Jon
chrisrowles1996

jonny955 wrote:Interesting comemnt about them becoming rare. My 2009 RS125FP drew a small crowd at Box Hill yesterday! I'm intending to keep it 100% standard (except the tail tidy) because it's fast enough and they ARE reliable bikes if treated properly.

We shall never see the likes of the great 2 strokes again (sob) :blink: :unsure:

Jon
really ? what was the record ? that is the next bike for me haha if u still got it next june and u want to see by any chance .. id be very interested haha sounds like you respect it very well :) what is your top end ?

Return to “HOW TO..........”