Group Ride Out Behaviour Guide.

special one

Re: Group Ride Out Behaviour Guide.

Post by special one »

Another thing to stress at the pre ride briefing is go straight on at any unmarked junctions, islands, traffic lights etc.
Do not turn off unless directed to.

If everyone sticks rigidly to this system it works every time.
Current bikes...

2003 KTM 950 adventure in silvery blue...

2013 KTM 450 exc-f in orange /white

2007 Scorpa SY250 trials in blue.
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

There are many 'what if' scenarios, but in essence if the group leader, is switched on he/she will know when the group is getting smaller and slow down or even stop to allow the group to catch up and reform.

Likewise the more times the group gets to do the 'drop-off' system, some will instinctively know if there is a need for more than one to drop-off, such as a large roundabout/island with multiple exits, the ride leader should point at a spot where he/she wants some one to drop-off and may ask the next one to drop on the same junction or whatever.

Clear as mud! :whistle:

Tramp: Yes, the Highway code should be followed. And if the leader passes the TEC, be polite :whistle:

Jelly: If you mean that off road day,I did that on purpose, to loose you. :P
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
AustinW

Group Ride Out Behaviour Guide.

Post by AustinW »

I would blame the ride leader for choosing a crap route.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
davsato

Post by davsato »

Jelly wrote:Fixed for yer. ;)

Peejay wrote:
I have had the pleasure of leading an ABR group and losing half of them at the 1st round a bout
:whistle:

:lol:
be fair jerry that wasnt peejays fault, #2 got overexcited and forgot he was #2. we had a nice ride past stonehenge in our detour anyway, what you complaining about? magical mystery tour.
(that was one of those roundabouts with multiple traffic lights too.)
Dave
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Peejay wrote:

:ohmy:
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

Jelly wrote:
Peejay wrote:

:ohmy:
;)
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

What about the rule that says when you are offroad in a group you must make the person behind you wear as much mud as possible? :huh:

Or is that a secret rule. :whistle:
James691

Post by James691 »

Peejay wrote:Nice one James.

Can I just add in one more point.
I have had the pleasure of leading or tail end charlie-ing many ride outs over the years and have had to stipulate this point more than once.

We are not allowed to stop or direct traffic to facilitate the groups passage through junctions etc.

I have seen a few car drivers get irrate at this but more soberly witnessed confused drivers who have nearly collided with the group or another road user.

Just my observation, I can say that since doing several ride outs for ABR groups that this has never happened. Long may it continue.
I know mate, I've done many a ride out as well as Marshall duty and was not going to give too many specific examples of illegal actions for fear of making the post too confusing BUT that is a good safety point and an error that many fall into, NEVER on ABR so far I'm pleased to say. It will also be covered in another document I am drafting up.
Dancing in the moonlight
James691

Post by James691 »

AustinW wrote:
mark1150 wrote:Not wishing to be thick but how do you normally tackle traffic lights where the group could be split into 2 or even 3 in some built up areas?
the reason I ask is that I fear the answer isn't as obvious as it sounds.
Quite often there may be no where for the leader to pull over at the other side.
It doesn't matter. The system means the group can be spread out over many miles and as long as everyone keeps to the rules everyone will go the right way. The only limit is the number of riders as eventually the ride leader will not have a number 2 to drop off.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)
Very true about the doesn't matter :). The system just keeps running. If need be the Number 2 rider that was at the back just becomes the Number 2 rider again and it just keeps on repeating.
Dancing in the moonlight
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

whilst searching youtube found this funny moment . AND this is What Not to do ! :unsure:

Return to “ABR Highlands Rally Ullapool 28th - 30th Sept 2012”