Re: How to - Home made legshields

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

GreaseGorilla wrote:well KLR riders are supposed to be tight fisted aint they? you could at least spray em green or silver........ :laugh:

good bodging though!
cheeky git
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

have you guys not seen the bikes that go to the elephant rally....

seems like that'll fit right in... plus i'm sure when it's -8 and you're riding through a blizzard you don't give a f*ck what you look like if you're keeping warm (ish)....

but if you really want a good how to on homemade leg shields, muffs, windscreens and mud guards you should ride thorugh london in the winter and check out the couriers....
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Just my two bob's worth on looks.
How many people have seen the despatch riders around London (other towns and cities are available) riding around with those plastic For Sale signs that estate agents use , being pressed into service as make shift leg guards etc.
I think OB1, hit the nail squarely on the noggin when he wrote the Nothing new under the sun thread.
In fact as a continuation on a theme I wrote about something similar as make shift hand guards for inclement weather here... http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum ... trail.html
As someone has already said when your freezing it doesn't matter what you or the bike looks like, Amen to that.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

Blimey, this has opened up a barrel of worms. :laugh: I agree they legshields look awful. But that was the point of doing them - Anyone who's done the Elephant once tends to knock up stuff like this and there's a great deal of amusement to be gained from walking round the campsite seeing what others have come up with - the more outrageous but functional the better. They were not intended to be on the KLR permanently, it's a one shot deal to get him from New Jersey the 1200 miles up to Vermont and back. These things make a huge difference over a long trip - here's a picture from a previous Elephant (this time a European one) - the guy on the right is John, the KLR owner, with his cat flap screen, the guy on the left is my brother on a DT125 Yamaha without any protection. It was about -5C on the German autobahn when the pic was taken -

Scan0009.jpg
Scan0009.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

I agree that the KLR looks too good to be hacked around but that's the difference between the states and here. In real money he paid around £1000 for it a year ago (2008 model) - somewhat cheaper than they go for here. He bought it as something to use for winter rallies so bodgability potential was something he was looking for. The alternative was to continue with his retractable outrigger skis project on a Gold Wing. :woohoo:

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

I'd be more concerned about what they could do to the the guys legs if he were to have an 'off' :unsure:
one-legged adventurer
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

If its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid. Brilliant!

Kawasaki green! You know you want to!
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

Backofbeyond,
That picture looks bloomin c c c cold.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
backofbeyond

Post by backofbeyond »

mark1150 wrote:Backofbeyond,
That picture looks bloomin c c c cold.
It's a good example of how your body will do whatever is necessary to keep you going at the time but it's payback time when the pressure is off. It took the three of us a week there and back without any problems other than freezing our nuts off but I spent the next week in bed with flu - the real thing, not "man flu" - the only time I've had it.

Couple more from that trip - not the best quality as they were emailed to me.

Scan0011.jpg
Scan0011.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
That's me trying to tie the tent back on in some German service station

Scan0012.jpg
Scan0012.jpg (63.29 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

An overnight stop on the way back

Scan0014.jpg
Scan0014.jpg (37.94 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
Our tent at the Elephant

The ups and downs of 40 years on two wheels

www.pisquicktours.co.uk

Do the best you can, then try to live it down.

CCM604 Honda XR600 Honda CBX1000

Honda 400/4 Yamaha XS2 650 Kawasaki H1 500

Lotus Elan, Land Rover Discovery
xtzrick

Post by xtzrick »

Just been reading another "How to" on getting a liecence & now I see this :ohmy:

Anybody remember the '80s?

Martin Bangemann?

A lot of people put time & effort into making sure leg shields didn't become compulsory, don't go encouraging EU dictators.

Rick
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

noone goes in there to polish the gsa with a microfibre towel 3times a day :)

£2000 luggage system?

Return to “HOW TO..........”