Does anyone else struggle with corners?

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
scouse

Re:Does anyone else struggle with corners?

Post by scouse »

Biggest issue I have recently had with corners... well right hand hairpins... is Marmots!

One ran out on me while negotiating a right hand hairpin on the Finistre, then one popped up on the edge of the next one... that was it! Fecked for an entire weekend - on every right hand hairpin I developed edge fixation...was convinced a suicidal Marmot would appear just as I was banked over... :D

Top Tip - stay away from Marmots!
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

scouse wrote:
Biggest issue I have recently had with corners... well right hand hairpins... is Marmots!

One ran out on me while negotiating a right hand hairpin on the Finistre, then one popped up on the edge of the next one... that was it! Fecked for an entire weekend - on every right hand hairpin I developed edge fixation...was convinced a suicidal Marmot would appear just as I was banked over... :D

Top Tip - stay away from Marmots!
He is Waiting for you.......

scouse

Post by scouse »

LargeWayRound wrote:
He is Waiting for you.......

You have no idea how scary that is for me, and how true to life it looks for the second attempt! :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

Corners/Bends are interesting.

The approach should be to slow to the speed you want to go around the bend, whilst you are still in a straight line and approaching the bend.

Use a bit of rear brake first (this settles the bike down), then use a neutral throttle while steering through the bend...

Are you familiar with "counter steering", where you push the bar out to make the bike lean in?

[So on a RH bend, push the right hand bar away from you, and the bike will drop in quicker (do it gently first until you see how the bike behaves).For a series of quick bends the bike will respond extremely quickly ...]

As you reach the apex, gently add power, and accelerate up to your new desired speed (depending on what road conditions are next, of course)

I suggest a "Bikesafe" day with your local constabulary, or even better doing the RoSPA Advanced Rider course (or equivalent...IAM etc.)

If you're in NE Essex/Suffolk I'll happily show you...ah...just read again, Poole. Not so close to Essex :laugh:

John (MIAM, RoSPA gold)
McOo

Post by McOo »

My partner has days when she doesn't feel comfortable cornering. From what she has said, my tips would be:

Go for longer rides, preferably down quiet roads, with nice surfaces, that you know pretty well to gain some confidence and feeling.

Practice counter-steering.

Don't try and cut the apex of the corner like some kind of racing line, just follow the road safely around, looking ahead.

Have fun and stay safe.
sallysbuns

Post by sallysbuns »

Loving the marmot pic, i would have to ditch the bike rather then run one of these over.
Alun

Post by Alun »

sallysbuns wrote:
Loving the marmot pic, i would have to ditch the bike rather then run one of these over.
Talking of pics Sally, let's see that bike of yours.
sallysbuns

Post by sallysbuns »

Oh lordy bare with me technology is not a strong point
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Don't worry too much Sally, these skills come eventually.
I've been riding over forty years and i admit i do'nt allways get it right. :woohoo:
Welcome to ABR. :cheer:
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
Kenbo

Post by Kenbo »

Best thing I ever did was get myself on a "Bikesafe" course. Run by the police a one day event free of charge. Improved my cornering and genral riding a lot.

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”