Best outdoor cooking practice

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Alun

Re:Best outdoor cooking practice

Post by Alun »

davsato wrote:
60+ of us, with what looked like 60+ different cooking systems,.
I got very excited reading that.
Alun

Post by Alun »

HP2Mav wrote:
Self heating meals - the way ahead!
Blasphomy! 50 hail Mary's should just about do it
davsato

Post by davsato »

Alun wrote:
davsato wrote:
60+ of us, with what looked like 60+ different cooking systems,.
I got very excited reading that.
i worry about people like you being among us. you'd have died of pleasure at dinner time, all the stove hissing and pumping and cursing going on, and the stench of fried onions, half cooked meat, etc. everyone trying to outdo eachother.....
my best find of the weekend? 18p bag of instant mashed potato from asda. cheesy mash and diced sausage, with bread lightly fried in garlic oil, mmmmm.......
and you can use it as exhaust paste too
Dave
africajim

Post by africajim »

Well, we used the Trangia to heat water and cook noodles and rice over the last week, it did what it said on the tin, but at what expence? We burnt 500ml of alcohol for three days, a good cooker and probably will be used again but no match for the gas, Coleman burner with camping gaz adapter, cooked all week for one cylinder!
Food combo of the week,,,,,, savoury rice and smoked sausage!
Honda, the power of dreams.
MidnightSerenity

Post by MidnightSerenity »

africajim wrote:
Well, we used the Trangia to heat water and cook noodles and rice over the last week, it did what it said on the tin, but at what expence? We burnt 500ml of alcohol for three days, a good cooker and probably will be used again but no match for the gas, Coleman burner with camping gaz adapter, cooked all week for one cylinder!
Food combo of the week,,,,,, savoury rice and smoked sausage!
Mmmm...I love savoury rice and noodles - not too keen on sausages though!! This may not be in keeping with the thread here...whilst I don't mind cooking for the family when at home, I don't really want to cook when away on holiday as well. Its the one luxury I afford myself!

I'm really liking the sound of self-heating meals mentioned by HP2Mav. :) Does anyone know which ones are available?

Post by Guest »

Alun wrote:
HP2Mav wrote:
Self heating meals - the way ahead!
Blasphomy! 50 hail Mary's should just about do it
Having spent my time cooking in a mess tin on a hex stove, and using a multi fuel wisperlite when on the HP I'm okay with admitting to being lazy :P

In all seriousness - they are the boil in the bag meals much like those used as current issue rations, just supplied with an additional bag, that when water is added, will heat the meal in 10 min! Leaving your stove free for making a cuppa :) And most of us are only travelling for a defined number of days. If you're doing 'real' adv travelling for several weeks or months, then they're not so useful.

We got ours here: http://www.heatermeals.co.uk/index.php
davsato

Post by davsato »

i think you can get self heating pouches to put your own food in, but at what cost i dont know.
Dave
E.T.

Post by E.T. »

Warthog wrote:
I have enough brain related problems without having expedited alzheimer's setting in due to aluminium ingestion!!

Peeps might like to know that this is unsubstantiated and unproven, and was put about in the 1960's originally after aluminium was injected into rats...not quite the same concentrations as a cooking pot deposit. I suspect if you injected all sorts of normal humany type stuff directly into a rat, it might get a headache...

From Alzheimers Society ...
Aluminium and Alzheimer's disease
A number of environmental factors have been put forward as possible contributory causes of Alzheimer's disease in some people. Among these is aluminium. There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease, but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely. This factsheet looks at the circumstantial evidence and current medical and scientific views.
Zookman

Re: Best outdoor cooking practice

Post by Zookman »

For the last 25 years, i've used the same Campingaz stove that uses pierceable gas cans. Its been used at countless motorcycle rallies & camping trips, and was constantly used in my work as a lorry driver because i was away all week and sleeping in the cab. It still works perfectly.
I've since upgraded to a pocket rocket that uses the screw in gas cannisters, although they are 4 times the price of the pierceable gas cannisters.
I also take a Trangia stove to any rallies i do in early spring or late autumn. As i've been caught out when the temperature can drop considerably overnight at this time of year, and its too cold for gas to work for a morning cuppertea.
Also have a couple of suitcase type gas stoves, that get used in the rare occasions i go camping in the car.
iainnic

Re: Best outdoor cooking practice

Post by iainnic »

Well, I'm a trangia man ! I've one of the "duossal" sets where the inside of the pan is stainless steel, outside aluminium. You can give them a good clean that way.
I've a primus petrol stove that fits inside with a trangia adapter. Good for longer trips, but not for short. You can get a good 7 to 10 days with a litre of meths, and its pretty available all over the place. I am contemplating a gas adapter, but compared with the meths burner, its more bulk.

The new trangia's are available with a hard anodised finish which has replaced the other finishes - apparently its really hard wearing but not seen it myself.

I've had a variety of pan sets and stoves in the past - always ended back with the trangia. If you're looking for something smaller, check out the mini trangia's - excellent size and good value

Iain
-------------------------------------------

"Anne" - GSA 1200 30 Year Colours

"Rosie" - F650GS .... in red !

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”