Spanish Pyrenees: May 28th - June 1st, 2012

Tramp

Re: Spanish Pyrenees in May or October 2012

Post by Tramp »

simon..
the last May Bank holiday weekend in the uk has been moved to june the 4th the second is the Queens Diamond Jubilee celerbrations..5th june so everything will be expensive on the ferries unless booked a head..

kids are off 4th june to 8th june is half term week so teachers are off too..

spring bank holiday is june 4th

am I right guys?

if so Monday 28th May to Friday 1st june week is normal uk working week ..then a week off.. so maybe for the Uk lot the first week of june would be better but more expensive or last week of May and a long weekend to stretch things out on the return being a holiday.

confusing or what..
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hmmmmmmmmm, intersting.

From waht I remember of ferry bookings - well before the Internet so maybe completely useless - to return in the middle of a long weekend was barkingly cheap. But on the the hand the advantage of needing to take just three days of precious annual leave . . .

What I'm wondering is that given all the other costs would be the same, what difference would the fery crossings be? I've just checked with Direct Ferries and of course it's too early :angry:

A lot also depends on how many riders either have kids or are dependent on the half term for their own hols. Of course the opposite may be true; riders leaving 'significant others', let us say, plus the sprogs, will find it easier to cope if said sprogs are at least occupied for some of the day!

There's no hurry. But let's make a stand that the gig is in spring: last week of May or first week of June - these really are the best weeks to be in the Spanish Pyrenees - no doubts there! B)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
suffolkgsrider

Post by suffolkgsrider »

I hope it will not clash with Marks EAB Norfolk rally in May
2005 BMW 1150 GSA

Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi guys ..

Dont take this the wrong way..

simon ..just pic some dates as you cant please everyone all the time and those who want to go will make time and as its an offroad biased meet most wont want that anyway...also the rallys have a 40% drop out rate in the uk let alone abroad.
But as the uk guys will have to book ferries etc only the committed [mentally] will come..and as its a great opportunity to be shown around a great area not to be missed.

when and where is next years HUMM meeting? as some offroad guys do that .

Personaly I think the last week of May is good say meet up Monday ,tuesday to Friday on the trail/road leaving the weekend and Bankholiday/jubilee to get home and rest..before work , maybe taking in some of the superb road routes back.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:I'm in Simon ...well it's only 6hrs south of me and it would be rude not to !!!! Will be watching this topic closely.
As a tag on...for those coming down FR our place is open to all as a stop over, no fees

Phil
Hi Phil, that's a pretty great offer - might make a lot of difference for folks watching their travel budget - and makes the whole 'togetherness' trip longer!

I might just have to ride up and make sure your accommodation is up to our exacting standards :evil: I'm thinking of a little jaunt in early October - any good?

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

britfrog wrote:Simon, I dont see us being in competition as what we are offering are two totally different types of tour , just in a similar location. It may well be interesting to see how many if any would be interested in a 2 week trip, one week with you the other on my side of things.
My trip doesnt offer off road riding although there is plenty there for those that want to indulge, my trip is mostly a trip to enjoy roads and do the touristy thing by seeing chateaux , caves , vinyards,gorges etc perhaps a day on the beach certainly an evening meal at a beach restaurant, fantastic scenery etc.
As you know yourself there is so much to see and do in our region thet no two days are the same. My trip is in conjuction with my mairie and my village which as those that came down this year saw it is a very welcoming place, and changed many peoples ideas about the arrogant frogs. If we do end up doing a shared fortnight I must admit that a late June/ July or september/october date would suit me best.
Hi Nigel,

I'm really glad to know this. as you say, the two regions are totally distinct, even though they're so close - it's a popular urban myth that Catalonia has some French influence, including the lingo!

And, the trips themselves are very different methinks. We'll probably take in some castles - you can't really avoid them around here! Also there may be a ravine walk or two, but for me it's mainly about biking - I do the cultural side of things more as part of my 'day job'.

Fascinating too to learn about building bridges with the local community. I'm all in favour of this as a resident here - hate the "You can't get . . ." species of ex-pat! - and I considered involving the local bike club. But what Spain does best of all is welcome visitors, so it's all a bit superfluous; apart fro eductation the ABR mob how to eat (and drink!) really well!

On a similar theme, small Spanish villages have their 'alcalde', very similar to your 'marie', but our village is part of a bigger municipality, where politics is just as venal as anywhere else - one measure of how much I've 'integrated' with the local community, and its polotics, is that our present mayor dives into shop doorways when he sees me coming down the street!:whistle:

More important thatn all this is the idea of running the trips back-to-back. This looks tempting but I'm not sure this is such a great idea. I've already seen on your post that some folks are welcoming your timing during the summer holidays, whereas mine is pretty much essentially a non-summer job. Besides, it's already getting settled into the last week of May!

Cheers

Simon

PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Sound good Simon ......all welcome at CHEZ SOWETO :lol: i've got a lot off work on but can always make time for a little bimmble.I'll PM you my moby

Phil (46350 LAMOTHE FENELON)
Jacqueslemac

Post by Jacqueslemac »

Next year there isn't a "late May" bank holiday. Instead, we have Monday 4th and Tuesday 5th June for a Royal celebration.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Tramp wrote:Hi guys ..

Dont take this the wrong way..

simon ..just pic some dates as you cant please everyone all the time and those who want to go will make time and as its an offroad biased meet most wont want that anyway...also the rallys have a 40% drop out rate in the uk let alone abroad.
But as the uk guys will have to book ferries etc only the committed [mentally] will come..and as its a great opportunity to be shown around a great area not to be missed.

when and where is next years HUMM meeting? as some offroad guys do that .

Personaly I think the last week of May is good say meet up Monday ,tuesday to Friday on the trail/road leaving the weekend and Bankholiday/jubilee to get home and rest..before work , maybe taking in some of the superb road routes back.
Hi Tramp, et al,

I think you've got a very good point about the dates, both just picking 'em and aboiut the usefulextra days over the holiday weekend.

So let's go for the las week in May, i.e. Monday, May 28th to Friday, June 1st.B)

As for the HUMM 2012; that's going to be in Morocco, and they're usually in July - hence the 'Madness' in the title! But I've just read that Austin Vince, the brains behind the HUMM, is it going alone to create a Pyrenean event next year. But I can't find any news about this straight from the horse's moth, so to speak - so come on Austin, speak up!

I was at the 2010 HUMM and I have to say it wasn't my cup of tea - very competitive - so although everyone was friendly enough individually it wasn't what I would call a proper bikers' rally. Whereas looking at the ABR brew ups so far these do seem to be proper . . .

I have to write more details about the off road stuff in the next post, meanwhile my bike's warming up on the strip!

Cheers

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

PHILinFRANCE wrote:Sound good Simon ......all welcome at CHEZ SOWETO :lol: i've got a lot off work on but can always make time for a little bimmble.I'll PM you my moby

Phil (46350 LAMOTHE FENELON)
Thanks Phil,

Talking of four letter works (w**k!), what does a "clay technician" actually do? :)

Back soon folks

Simon

Return to “ABR Spanish Rally Pyrenees 28th May - 1st June 2012”