Any way to stop all these emails?

Help, rules, advice and announcements.
Mark1961

Re: Any way to stop all these emails?

Post by Mark1961 »

Joe Bar wrote:
Treadtrader wrote:Very clearly explained Mark. Not rocket science is it?
It's very simple and clear how to susbcribe and un-subscribe from a thread, it's how to stop receiving multiple emails about the same thread that's the real problem.

I'd like to know when a thread I'm subscribed to has a reply, but I do not need one email for each person that replies. That just clogs the in-box and is un-necessary.
The only way I know is open the MY TOPICS tab then look for the NEW replies. There may be other ways but this is the way I do it.
Email 3.JPG
Email 3.JPG (45.49 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!
Selous

Post by Selous »

I think that covers this topic ;)

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

as i mentioned before in another thread on the same subject, the default setting can be changed by admins to leave the box un-ticked...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750
Norm De Plume

Post by Norm De Plume »

Any chance of a daily notification to subscribed threads. That way you still get notified but your inbox isn't spammed into oblivion and you turn everything off.

(Checks - yes the notification option is off :))
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

If you allways uncheck the box, as I do, you can check on the threads you've posted in by clicking on "My topics" on the forum bar. This lists all threads you have posted in.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
dash

Post by dash »

Orlando_Orange wrote:as i mentioned before in another thread on the same subject, the default setting can be changed by admins to leave the box un-ticked...
PLEASE do this admins.
FMFox

Post by FMFox »

dash wrote:
Orlando_Orange wrote:as i mentioned before in another thread on the same subject, the default setting can be changed by admins to leave the box un-ticked...
PLEASE do this admins.
here here

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
Zenarchy

Post by Zenarchy »

Joe Bar wrote:I think the main problem is that this forum appears to send you an email each time some one replies. Whereas most other forums, just send you one notification after the first reply and doesn't send subsequent ones if others reply before you re-visit the forum. I can't see how to reset the preferences to only receive notification on the first reply to a thread.
I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

I just came across this thread after the email updates of every post started getting on my nerves, and I went digging around to try to find a preference setting to set it to only notify of the first reply (was surprised to find there wasn't one - that's a big oversight in what seems like otherwise good forum software!).

I wouldn't mind so much if the email notification at least said what was posted (like the vbuletin emails do), then at least you can see if it's something you should be replying to, but there's only a link to the thread with no info about what the post content is.

I realise after reading this now that I can unsubscribe to a thread when I post something, but that's not much help if someone asks you a question based upon one of your previous posts as you'd easily miss it, particularly if it's an old thread. That might lead to people thinking their posts were being deliberately ignored (though I've just unticked the notify of any replies this time so if anyone responds to this post in particular - I'm not ignoring you on purpose :D).
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Yep, the problem is not the send of an email, it's the number of emails sent.

1 email notifying that has been updated is sufficient, it doesn't need an email for every post.

It's easy enough to untick the subscribe box, or use quick reply, but if you forget once, the next time you look you have 10 emails.

It's not the most intelligent feature, vBulletin for instance doesn't suffer from that.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Orlando_Orange

Post by Orlando_Orange »

to be honest it annoyed me so much i just set up a new folder and a rule on my email and all emails from ABR go there, to be ignored and then checked and deleted en mass... of course that means i miss pm notifications and anything that might be important but it's still the way to go for me....

edit: oh yeah and while i never remember to untick the "subscribe" button, after posting the thread comes up again with a big blue "unsubsrcibe" button which i don't miss and use this...
Chris

G650 X-Challenge

'91 XTZ750

Return to “WEBSITE AND FORUM STUFF”