Cooker : Primus Gravity II EF

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Selous

Re: Cooker : Primus Gravity II EF

Post by Selous »

MattW wrote:Funny you should mention this - I've been pondering the same thing. I looked at the MSR folding utensils (found some in a shop and handled them) but they do seem really flimsy and are expensive for what they are.

In the end I went to our local supermarket and bought some cheap plastic utensils from their 'basics' range (30 pence each!) and pulled the handles off them. Together with a similarly cheap wooden spatula, this comprises my cooking kit. They weigh next to nothing and all fit easily in the small plastic box that I transport my 'kitchen kit' in. That said, a while ago I did splash out on a titanium knife fork and spoon as they are almost weightless things of jewel like beauty :)

cheers
Matt
Cheers matt mm i feel a cunning plan coming on, the KFS i use are from
my Boy Scout days a few years now :whistle: they are ally and all clip together
i put all my cooking gear in a Tupperware container as well

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks for all this useful debate - I'm a confirmed meths man myself, can't fault the Trangia kits and you can always get fuel, which is an issue in some parts of Spain (Sp. alcohol de quemar = alcohol to burn)and I imagine in eastern Europe - but gas does have its attractions!
Pincho moruno.jpg
Pincho moruno.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
But the most useful piece of kit is a pair of tongs to chivvy your stuff around and dish up, etc. especially if you like cooking bits of steak or kebab meat, in Spain 'Pincho Moruno' comes marinaded with its own spices, great for serving with cous-cous and a bit of salad. For the Trangia the tongs are essential for fiddling with the simmer ring - a lid with sliding top, just visible on the right of the cooker, that you use to control the flame and more importantly perhaps, put the blighter out!

Cheers

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Selous

Post by Selous »

The Spanish Biker wrote:Thanks for all this useful debate - I'm a confirmed meths man myself, can't fault the Trangia kits and you can always get fuel, which is an issue in some parts of Spain (Sp. alcohol de quemar = alcohol to burn)and I imagine in eastern Europe - but gas does have its attractions!

But the most useful piece of kit is a pair of tongs to chivvy your stuff around and dish up, etc. especially if you like cooking bits of steak or kebab meat, in Spain 'Pincho Moruno' comes marinaded with its own spices, great for serving with cous-cous and a bit of salad. For the Trangia the tongs are essential for fiddling with the simmer ring - a lid with sliding top, just visible on the right of the cooker, that you use to control the flame and more importantly perhaps, put the blighter out!

Cheers
Simon
Simon I have the same as Matt the MSR pots the lid has it's own strainer & what I really like is the pots are very sturdy.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Hi Sealous,

Trangia do a lid too, which is great as a strainer, chopping board, plate and, er, . . . a lid!:evil:

But the other advantage of the tongs is that you can gatecrash a BBQ with a few spuds wrapped in foil and a chicken quarter or two without burning your fingers completely!

Most, sorry, many Spanish camp sites have a communal BBQ where all you have to do is ask politely - so if I see such a one I'll buy a few tatties and I always have afew sheets of foil lurking in the 'kitchen' bag!

Cheers

Simon
PS tongs are also handy for fishing your keys and other valuables out of drains, the gap between the battery compartment and there hot exhaust, etc. . . .:whistle:
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
f2uk

Post by f2uk »

MattW wrote: If you're not bothered about the pre-heat coil, the 'Vango Folding Gas Stove' is well thought of and great value at £20 (I'll probably get one as a back up!)

I have one of these .... has been around Scotland, Holland, Germany, Sweden, Denmark ... never failed, brilliant pack size and economical!
MattW

Post by MattW »

I'm a Trangia user myself but I must admit to liking something with a bit more power and controllability also (hence the gas cooker). However I do sometimes take a clickstand cooker which uses the trangia burner:

Good call about the tongs - I'll add some to my 'kitchen box' :)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”