Buying British bike products

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
micksea

Re: Buying British bike products

Post by micksea »

AndyB wrote:
micksea wrote:Lomo bags B)
Made in China according to the tag on my one.

Next.
FFS don"t tell moto al :lol: (being petulant dosen"t suit a man of your intellect)
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

Quill Exhausts

Nitron Suspension
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Jak* wrote:Hi, just for the record I voted remain and remain proud of that. However since the country voted to leave I have been waiting for those who voted leave to come up with a plan, so far the usual answer from our countries 'leaders' and the Brexiteers seems to be 'Keep Calm and Carry On' however someone suggested buying British. An article in the Torygraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... it-be.html
showed how difficult that is.
We all know which new bikes we could buy, Norton, Rickman, CCM and Triumph although CCM has a lot of European parts and some Triumph parts (bikes?) are made in Malaysia I believe. But what about British bike products? I just received a new pair of Hood jeans through the post today and can highly recommend them, these are my third pair. The first pair I was wearing when I got knocked off years ago doing about 50, and although I had some minor bruises at scratches my legs were pretty much unscathed. I would also highly recommend Altberg boots, although the consistency of sizing seems to have gone to pot lately, and I think some of them are made in Italy. They still remain the most comfortable bike boots I have ever owned if you want to walk anywhere and they are still some of the toughest on the market.
Any other suggestions of quality British bike kit?
Cheers Jak
All Triumph twins are afaik made in Thailand (ironic, given that they are the most 'British' looking). I suspect that if you did a component count, you'd find most of all new Triumphs, irrespective of whether they are assembled in the UK or not, are mostly foreign in origin...with most of those parts coming from the far east.

Even the first Hinckley Triumphs had Japanese suspension and brakes. They still had British exhausts (made by Motad), but production of those was off-shored to Thailand. Triumph's interest in Thailand grew and grew, and it now has assembly facilities there and here.

There's a factory in Brazil, too

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/glo ... -questions

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2011/10/a ... torcycles/
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Yes Triumph have three factories in Thailand where most of their bikes are also made for the American and Australasian markets. British spec bikes like the Tiger 1050 are built at Hinkley but major castings and painted parts (e.g. petrol tanks) are shipped in from Thailand.

CCM use BMW designed but Taiwanese made engines, suspension from the Netherlands (and Germany I think), brakes and plastics from Italy but the frames are made here and they are assembled in the UK but this has always been the way with CCMs
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

I seem to remember that the last time we had a Buy British Campaign it was before we joined the EU and the country was in deep Do Do. It didn't work then and it sure as anything won't work now. When all the tariffs have gone protecting British Beef and sheep farmers from competition from Brazil and New Zealand a buy British campaign won't stop food manufacturers from buying the cheapest they can get.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

micksea wrote:
AndyB wrote:
micksea wrote:Lomo bags B)
Made in China according to the tag on my one.

Next.
FFS don"t tell moto al :lol: (being petulant dosen"t suit a man of your intellect)
I know :(

My panniers are hand made by Vern so I do buy British when I can.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Hi, when I started this post I was not necessarily advocating any buy British campaign. I don't remember the one in the 70s achieving very much and I am sure it is much harder to buy genuinely British products now. Although I do my best to support my many local brewers. I just thought it might be interesting to see how many manufacturers there are making bike related products.
Cheers Jak
steve_h80

Post by steve_h80 »

I'm with you on Hood Jeans and Altbergs, but it's because they are the best for what I do.
Chasbmw

Post by Chasbmw »

steve_h80 wrote:I'm with you on Hood Jeans and Altbergs, but it's because they are the best for what I do.
+1 for Altbergs

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”