Sat nav's again

ollydog

Re: Sat nav's again

Post by ollydog »

got the one that plugs into the new gs what a pile of shite, i could update with a map quicker when i make a wrong turn

steve
benp1992

Post by benp1992 »

So looking at it. It seems the 390LM is the vest choice even though it doesnt come with a mp3 player. But im sure i can work around that.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

If it's the Garmin 660 mine recalculates fine! No help to you I know, but just so the OP isn't put off.
ollydog wrote:got the one that plugs into the new gs what a pile of shite, i could update with a map quicker when i make a wrong turn

steve
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

benp1992 wrote:So looking at it. It seems the 390LM is the vest choice even though it doesnt come with a mp3 player. But im sure i can work around that.
Quite happy with mine so far. Bought it last winter to replace an old TomTom Rider, been on a few trips away iwth it in the UK, but not over to Europe yet (French & Swiss Alps in September). For the price I paid the only other option was the new TomTom but at the time I bought it the reviews for the TomTom were dire and those for the 390 were much better.

here are some reviews

I notice the price has gone up a few quid and there is a later model due out in July for more money - doesn't say if it has a 3.5mm jack though.

I use a cheap bluetooth headset intercom connected to my phone/ipod for music. I connect the 390 voice and the phone over bluetooth but only use the voice announce from the 390 occasionally e.g. riding through a city with lots of turns. Usually I use the speaker button set to off on the 390 when riding with music so the 390 doesn't cut in. When I want to switch to 390 announce, just hit the headset button to pause the music and hit the speaker button on the 390 to listen to instructions. (thumbs)

Not sure how you would use it with an autocomm system though.
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

vRSG60 wrote:If it's the Garmin 660 mine recalculates fine! No help to you I know, but just so the OP isn't put off.
ollydog wrote:got the one that plugs into the new gs what a pile of shite, i could update with a map quicker when i make a wrong turn

steve
So here's a question (side issue apologies), you are using your old 660 with a new Navigator mount on a GS LC - correct ?

Can you use the left hand (clutch) wheel thing for the menus or is that redundant unless you have the navigator unit ? The salesman at my local dealership last week couldn't tell me the answer to that.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

In a word NO!

The scroll wheel does nothing. From what I can gather a Nav IV does work but with limited functionality
I'm quite surprised no one has "cracked" the Garmin/BMW software to enable a 660 to act like a Nav V by now. Probably not worth the bother.
misterlaffer wrote:
So here's a question (side issue apologies), you are using your old 660 with a new Navigator mount on a GS LC - correct ?

Can you use the left hand (clutch) wheel thing for the menus or is that redundant unless you have the navigator unit ? The salesman at my local dealership last week couldn't tell me the answer to that.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

vRSG60 wrote:In a word NO!

The scroll wheel does nothing.
I'm quite surprised no one has "cracked" the Garmin/BMW software to enable a 660 to act like a Nav V by now.
misterlaffer wrote:

Good to know thanks. Was test riding last weekend, might of traded my 2012 oil head and this was one of the sticking points along with a few other concerns. £600 quid for a Nav, but I do believe there are some additional features. What amazes me is the dealer doesn't have a test bike with the Nav on so I can decide if it's worth the extra money.
keithy

Post by keithy »

hi recently got a Garmin 590 LM for £377inc postage off Amazon comes with all fittings including car mount as well has blue tooth audio in and out usb etc life time maps very impressed.
micksea

Post by micksea »

if you delete all the foreign languages off your 660 it should re-route quicker,free"s up some memory
benp1992

Post by benp1992 »

Think im going for the 660. Even though it may not be supported soon. But it should do for a few years

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”