Apologise in advance, which is the best satnav out there for adventure?

FMFox

Re: Apologise in advance, which is the best satnav out there for adventure?

Post by FMFox »

I have a montana and it does everything on your list of requirements.

I can use it with thin gloves not full on winter ones.

I would prob buy the monterra now though if i was buying again just due to the android operating system.

currently traveling the world on a CCM SR40
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

Dont think the 660 takes Topo maps. Therefore tarmac only.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

I have a Montana 600. I use it mainly for trails. It is quite handy to just drop a waypoint on it and let it navigate you there and apparently it does give turn by turn directions. I think you can load city navigator up as well and switch between maps but I've not tried it. I'm sure someone can verify or deny that.
Perhaps not the most simple to use for all its functions, but for putting in a trail and following it, dead simple.
Not all those wandering are lost
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

pinball1008 wrote:I have a Montana 600. I use it mainly for trails. It is quite handy to just drop a waypoint on it and let it navigate you there and apparently it does give turn by turn directions. I think you can load city navigator up as well and switch between maps but I've not tried it. I'm sure someone can verify or deny that.
Perhaps not the most simple to use for all its functions, but for putting in a trail and following it, dead simple.
Yes you can.
Lightness is everything.

herman

Post by herman »

My solution/twopence worth is a Tomtom car unit with all of europe not just western in a waterproof bag on a ram mount for roads. The new mapping is very good taking us reliably along gravel tracks in Croatia. Plus an etrex unit for off road with topo mapping also with a ram ball mount. Covers all bases but keeps it simple and is still less than half the cost. I also have osmand on the phone as back up which is really good.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
scutty

Post by scutty »

herman wrote:My solution/twopence worth is a Tomtom car unit with all of europe not just western in a waterproof bag on a ram mount for roads. The new mapping is very good taking us reliably along gravel tracks in Croatia. Plus an etrex unit for off road with topo mapping also with a ram ball mount. Covers all bases but keeps it simple and is still less than half the cost. I also have osmand on the phone as back up which is really good.
Why take 2 sat navs on the road when the Montana will do it all!

Seriously though, I totally rate the Montana 600. Brilliant for everything I ever asked it to do. As with most complicated electronic devices, you really get the most from it when you read the manual and spend some time setting it up. I have quick swap profiles for road UK, off-road UK, road Europe and off-road Europe. All the relevant settings are applied via the profiles to make seamless transitions.
KtmRy

Post by KtmRy »

picos mestizo wrote:
KtmRy wrote:
picos mestizo wrote:The best thing about a Montana is that it can also be used as a door stop.
What makes you say that?

390s ok if you dont know how to use a sat nav but if you want to go into things in more detail then the 600 is better
Montana is not a Motorcycle specific unit & it shows
Not very glove friendly,
You need SIMPLE when riding a motorcyle unless as you should you stop everytime to use it, but who does.
Complicated & bulky as is it's cradle.
Intermittent battery cannections.
Your statement.....
390s ok if you dont know how to use a sat nav.......
Navigation & data for idiots.......GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT
User friendly in spades & you don't need an HND in computer programing to use it.
its simple enough to use for the basics while riding and anything more on any gps then you should be stopping anyway, less bulkier than my tomtom rider, easy to use with gloves on but not with a screen protector, intermittent battery connection yes i have had that fault, Navigation & data for idiots.......GREAT-GREAT-GREAT-GREAT.... i dont know what your point is there but i do not have a NHD in computers and i can work it fine now yes it took some time to learn but that is because it does a lot more. The 600 accepts a lot more data than the 390 is why ive stuck with it.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

steve172 wrote: but doesn't show you the route. It then proceeds to calculate upon acceptance of that is your destination, surely it should calculate before it tells you how far and how long? Whilst directing, it does not tell you how long/far until destination, but I do like some other features such as how long until next turn and it counts down on screen. It does the usual other stuff... displays speed, speed limit etc and being able to add in a POI such as fuel station as a "via point" to your route is useful. As said, I haven't played with all the features and maybe some of my comments may be wrong.
Mine does show me the route after selecting my destination..

On the screen where you select 'Go' along the bottom select 'Map' the route will be displayed.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

My reference to Navigation for Idiots was to highlight how these later units have become more user friendly & easily worked without reference to manuals. The screens have become more sunlight tollerant, brighter, better colour contrasts & easier to read. They are also less power hungry with a claimed 7 hours to a charge.
Having now used many devices, Tom Tom, Binatone, Blaupunkt & Garmin I personally find the 390/590 the best for my use to date.
Lightness is everything.

ChasF

Post by ChasF »

The Montana 600 will do everything you need. It's a nice robust unit and the Garmin powered mount is good too. I use city navigator maps which are good then navigate to coordinates for the start point of a preloaded gpx. I don't bother with topo maps as there is too much detail for the small screen. I always have a map if it's a new route/trail but more often than not I'm just using a previous log file to act as a reminder or to get to some new trails to explore.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”