Garmin GPS 60CSX help

g00ner

Re: Garmin GPS 60CSX help

Post by g00ner »

Dutchgit wrote:What's the trouble with looking at the screen every now and then and follow the line on the screen ? Yes it can be difficult at times but that's a bit like life I'd say.
The issue is he follows the line off the screen which doesn't update - every time the line on the screen is covered Mark has to zoom out, move the screen and zoom back in again. Good job he can wheelie one handed.
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

"or, an easier way is to plot a new route with the track open in basecamp. just drop some waypoints on top of it at relevant turns or whatever and save as a route. Simpler."

The above has been the easiest option. Not tried it yet but relatively quick. Going to the HISS in september so will have to take a laptop to convert the tracks Simon supplies.

Note to anyone looking to do the Hard Alpi/extreme and using the 60csx if you pick the track up at the start from garmin it is just that a track and will have to be converted as above.

Dutchgit: Tried that and you can do if you ride slow and stop a lot but on tougher and faster going it becomes nigh on impossible.

The other option is to trade up to a Montana which seems to be the GPS of choice for Off road.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Stubbs..

The etrex 20 is far easier to use than a older c60csx..its menu is far easier too...how fast do you ride a trail? Ive managed mine in spain,portugal and loads of other places with custom fpx tracks following a line overlayed on a topo map..nothing hard..you ride fast till a turn appears glance at sat nav turn then burn again...
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

Tramp: the problem with the 60 csx and following a track is the arrow stays on the screen and the track moves off screen, so you have to scroll to get back on it which is what I was looking to overcome, but looks as though it is not an option. Following a route is no problem.
Rust

Post by Rust »

It's been a while, but try pressing the quit button twice, IIRC that will centre your position on map
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The etrex is a great unit but I find the mounts available are not up to the job and the screen too small to follow for all but an arrow. The Montana is definitely an awesome unit but for offroad I prefer the older series for reliability ie 60,76,78. Basically bulletproof units with the 6 pin rear. Just used one daily in the Tuareg Rally (a 60csx) and it didn't skip a beat despite the heavy vibration, abuse, fesh fesh, sand etc. I'm not sure newer is best when it comes to gps's to be honest, though for road only I would use a Montana for sure
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

There is a setting that keeps your position in the centre on the screen and moves the map as you move. I'll have a look and see how I did it.
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

Big Yellow Tractor wrote:There is a setting that keeps your position in the centre on the screen and moves the map as you move. I'll have a look and see how I did it.
You tease !!!
Rust

Post by Rust »

Just fished out me old 60csx.....

It will keep tracking you on the map UNTIL you use the arrow keys, then it remains at point you left it.

TO REGAIN TRACKING SIMPLY PRESS QUIT ONCE
stubbs

Post by stubbs »

Rust wrote:Just fished out me old 60csx.....

It will keep tracking you on the map UNTIL you use the arrow keys, then it remains at point you left it.

TO REGAIN TRACKING SIMPLY PRESS QUIT ONCE
This makes perfect sense as I am sure at times I had managed to follow a track only to loose it. Many thanks to all the reply's.

Return to “About GPS and GPS routes”