Realistic daily mileage...

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
davsato

Re:Realistic daily mileage...

Post by davsato »

Nessmuk wrote:
I reckon three days is what it would have to be.

I've been told about the F1 hotels in France and recommended them as a cheap bed. I was thinking of camping each night but the hotels are cheap enough, I can then save camping for Spain.

An alternative would be to get the ferry to Santander fro Plymouth. That leaves a journey of around 600 miles that would split nicely over two days.

Anyone here ever got the ferry to Santander?

Thanks for the replies.
i would recommend the santander ferry, for several reasons-
it travels while you sleep, you cant.
it takes most of the distance off your hands.
works out cheaper if you tot up petrol, food and overnight stops.
theres a cracking restaurant onboard (well, it is a french ship!)

you could argue that the trip down is part of the holiday and it would be a great ride but after 3 500mi days you will be knackered mate, unless youre used to doing it.
we went over last year to a place on the coast between barcelona and valencia, it was 470mi there from santander, we did it in half a day (boat docked at 12 but by the time you get off it, through customs and hit the road its gone 1pm) autoroute to zaragoza, then winding back roads at night (no fun) through the hills north of barcelona then along the coast. got to our apartment about 10pm, knackered. had a great weeks riding around the coast and hills down there, then on the way back we did the tiring but fantastic hilly windy route first, stopped overnight in zaragoza (very nice city, recommended) and then took our time getting the boat at santander.

i have done 900mi in one day before but i was dead for a couple of days afterwards, im not used to that sort of concentration for so long and i was probably quite unsafe for the last quarter of it. i limit my self to 500mi per day now and only then if i have to do it. then youve got time to stop if you see something worth stopping for, no rushed lunches etc.

if youre in a small group in my experience the biggest hold up is smokers. they put 15mins onto every fuel/snack/pee stop
Dave
dusi

Post by dusi »

Ha, most of what has been said before is good advice, basically take as much time as you can, and enjoy the ride, I did 2300miles in six days of riding on a trip down to Italy last year, including an 800 mile last day to get home (not so enjoyable) wish I'd taken longer and enjoyed the scenery and people more, 2-300 mile days are fine, again depending on the type of roads, but U can bang in a big mileage day if needed, also good to stop and have a rest day or two, soak up the ambiance of wherever you are, ride safe and enjoy your self, regards Dusan
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

Nessmuk wrote:
Can anyone who has travelled that sort of distance tell me what is a realistic distance you can expect to cover in one day, ...
No it isn't.

Not done safely nor pleasantly.

You would not relish it in a car and it's twice as tiring on a bike. And half the fun if it is on motorways. I think 3 days is realistic, but will still be hard work: you'll be sore by the end of day 2!!

Getting to your target area can be a long distance, yet people want to do it in the shortest time as they see it as eating into their avaialble days of touring.

I just returned from France that involved getting from Rostock ferry port to Strasbourg in one go: 550 miles: I was not hanging around nor resting for hours and it took 11 hours. Cruising speed: about 70 on my TA600. On the way back I did it in 2 days.

I definitely agree with the ferry option.

I opted for the Tallinn to Rostock ferry: total about 35 hours. More expensive by a little but much easier than crossing Latvia, Lithuania, Poland and then Germany just in order to start my trip.

Are you sure you'd not be better off aiming for Northern Spain (very beautiful) or South Western France and get more experiences for you time and money?
Nessmuk

Post by Nessmuk »

Warthog wrote:
Nessmuk wrote:
Can anyone who has travelled that sort of distance tell me what is a realistic distance you can expect to cover in one day, ...
Are you sure you'd not be better off aiming for Northern Spain (very beautiful) or South Western France and get more experiences for you time and money?
Our aim is to ride to my mates place in the south east, near Cartagena. Ferry to Santander and then riding down through Spain would be the shortest time riding, but riding down through both countries appeals too. I'd love to ride over that huge bridge in France, I think it could be on our route without too much difficulty. B)

I've now got a lot of thinking and planning to do. Many thanks for all the advice. It's a great help being able to tap into the collective experiences of you all.

Simon.
Alun

Post by Alun »

The huge bridge you speak of is the Millau and it's on your way down to Spain if you take the Calais – Le Mans – Clermont Ferrand – Montpelier route.

We were there last week and managed to find an 'adventure' trail (old drovers path and fields) that takes you to a spot with incredible views of the bridge from down in the valley. All will be revealed in the next issue of ABR, if we've not been arrested before publication.
dusi

Post by dusi »

Looking forward to the write up n pictures on that one, Millau 'the bridge in the sky' I heard somewhere that the old road it replaced is deserted and a good run now, especially with the views under the bridge, regards Dusi
Dick Dastardly

Post by Dick Dastardly »

The Milau bridge is nice to see but there is much much more to the area than a bridge. If you are planning on returning the same way you could do a lot worse than stay in Milau for a few days. Fantastic riding aroud there for all levels. Gorges Du Tarn, the Mountain trails around Mende etc,I could go on but you'd be bored before I finished.
Any way, your original question. If you hit on the auto route's you could average 60-70mph. That is just ride, fuel, ride, Oh and "Pan O' chocolate" ( go on you know you love um!) Do this for 10 hours a day and thats 1200 miles. That would get you there from Calais.

Every one travels their own way but my advice would be to ride when you feel good and rest when you feel tired. As many times as YOU want or need.

Do not go breaking your balls to do it in the shortest time because all you will do is end up with broken balls!!!!

And no one likes that eh?
" Ride hard, fall softly"
africajim

Post by africajim »

Couldn't have put that better if I tried Mr DD!

No to broken balls! :laugh:
Honda, the power of dreams.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Have to agree about the mountain trails around Mende, a very pleasant and unexpected bonus. As is a night dining out in Roquefort, assuming you like a 4 course cheese extravaganza. And what a coincidence, well I hope it is, we had crumbly cheese balls for starters.
dusi

Post by dusi »

Crumbly cheese ball's for starters :woohoo:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nice cheese Grommet ;)

Return to “TRAVEL”