Overtaking inside double white lines - allowable?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
appleby

Re: Overtaking inside double white lines - allowable?

Post by appleby »

wayne roome wrote:Answer is very simple. YES. Highway code rule 165 as long as you don't cross or straddle the line. Question raised when I did my RoSPA test. Noooooooo problems. Ride safely
You learn something new every day! (thumbs)
africajim

Post by africajim »

Crossing the white line may be construed as dangerous driving, 10 points if no ban imposed.
I watched a friend die crossing a white line, witnessed the carnage, before and after, they are there for a purpose, and I'd report anyone I saw crossing them.
Honda, the power of dreams.
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Perfectly legal but beaware of how the cardriver might react. I've only recently become aware of the technique of weaving behind a car in the hope that he sees you but I'm also aware that passing a car at excessive speed on a noisey bike can sometimes result in a dodgy reaction from the car driver.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

africajim wrote:Crossing the white line may be construed as dangerous driving, 10 points if no ban imposed.
I watched a friend die crossing a white line, witnessed the carnage, before and after, they are there for a purpose, and I'd report anyone I saw crossing them.
I'm sorry you saw a friend being killed Jim,but he was obviously not just crossing a white line but also overtaking dangerously.The two don't have to go hand in hand.Someone driving a Fiat Panda might not have time to overtake at a particular spot but that doesn't mean someone riding a Hyabusa couldn't.It's just more nanny state.I'm able to make my own decisions on where I can overtake safely without a council workman with a tin of white paint telling me.
Can you honestly say you never stray over the speed limit.Or do you report everyone else you see doing it? The speed limit's there for a purpose as well....to keep people who can't think for themselves safe!
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

sprintster wrote:
africajim wrote:Crossing the white line may be construed as dangerous driving, 10 points if no ban imposed.
I'm sorry you saw a friend being killed Jim,but he was obviously not just crossing a white line but also overtaking dangerously.The two don't have to go hand in hand.Someone driving a Fiat Panda might not have time to overtake at a particular spot but that doesn't mean someone riding a Hyabusa couldn't.It's just more nanny state.I'm able to make my own decisions on where I can overtake safely without a council workman with a tin of white paint telling me.
Can you honestly say you never stray over the speed limit.Or do you report everyone else you see doing it? The speed limit's there for a purpose as well....to keep people who can't think for themselves safe!
Agreed, double white lines are not only painted to take account of the lowest common denominator*, they are also being painted along massive stretches of dead straight road where one idiot doing a dangerous overtake has caused an accident, therefore the nanny state has decided nobody should overtake there.

To be fair to Africajim however he lives in Aberdeenshire, and the nanny state issue is probably less of an issue on highland roads where there are lots of bends, blind crests, and other hazards, and most of the white lines probably do have a good reason for being there.

*The lowest common denominator doesn't only refer to the Fiat Panda without the power to complete an overtake, but also to the dumbest driver who can't be trusted to make a decision. Whilst the vast majority wouldn't consider themselves the dumbest driver, do they have the necessary training and/or understanding of road engineering, to decide for themselves whether a white line is necessary or not. This is the massive danger with the nanny state painting white lines down every stretch of straight road where they are not needed, is people will start to ignore them. If they ignore them in one place, they'll ignore them everywhere, even in places where they absolutely are needed, but the average driver isn't skilled enough to realise why they are needed, he/she just sees an overtake opportunity and takes it.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

-Ralph- wrote:This is the massive danger with the nanny state painting white lines down every stretch of straight road where they are not needed, is people will start to ignore them. If they ignore them in one place, they'll ignore them everywhere, even in places where they absolutely are needed, but the average driver isn't skilled enough to realise why they are needed, he/she just sees an overtake opportunity and takes it.
White lines should be there because the road conditions present a hazard that needs them, ie: a bend, a blind crest, a junction.

They shouldn't be put there by the nanny state because a they can't trust the drivers to make sensible decisions. If that's the case on a particular stretch of road, then it's CCTV cameras and Police patrols that are needed and deal with the drivers themselves.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

Of course all the above laws don't count on the A65 between Long Preston & Devils Bridge especially if you are riding a crutch rocket you can pass everything in your way & frighten everybody in the process :evil:
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Elle

Post by Elle »

Hoggyf wrote:Whilst out for a tootle about today I was behind a car doing 50mph on an A road and on a long sweeper with double white lines and with lanes wide enough to pass I was tempted to pass but didn't (nothing coming the other way) and wouldn't have crossed the double whites, would this have been illegal assuming I stayed below 60mph??
Sometimes, when on 2 wheels, the hazard isn't particularly dangerous because we have a better view & can accelerate faster than the average car. I know several roads where the double white lines are a pain in the arse because I could easily get past if the lines were "normal".
But in order to overtake within the inner white line, I'd guess you'd have to be fairly close to that vehicle. The driver may react oddly if a bike suddenly appeared at the drivers window! S/he may also suddenly take the corner wide leaving no gap for you!
I think you were right not to risk it.
Besides, these days, I not only watch for the boys in blue on the road, here in Yorkshire they frequently hover above too....... :ohmy:
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

-Ralph- wrote: Agreed, double white lines are not only painted to take account of the lowest common denominator*, they are also being painted along massive stretches of dead straight road where one idiot doing a dangerous overtake has caused an accident, therefore the nanny state has decided nobody should overtake there.
I found this out the other day.
I was following a car down a straight road there was loads of time to overtake but there were double white lines. So I thought "there must be a hidden dip" and stayed put for about half a mile but there was nothing WTF! :huh:
Me and the law then parted ways and I went about enjoying my ride. :whistle:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I am often amazed at the siting of double white lines/broken lines, especially in North Wales.
Solid white lines on straights, then broken lines before bends and side roads.
More and more whilst on a bike I make my own judgement as to when it's safe to overtake.

Return to “HOW TO..........”