Alternative to Tents

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
appleby

Re:Alternative to Tents

Post by appleby »

Take it from someone who has wasted his money over the year's, on Basha's, bivis, tarps, US modular sleep systems (yes,systems:lol: )& cheapo tents!
It all ends up weighing a ton!

Now I have seen the light, I only ever use a Terra Nova Superlite Voyager (1.5kg) Snupak Softie Premier 1 (1kg & good for -5) and a 3/4 length Thermarest

These would easily fit in a topbox, with enough room left for your beer.
scouse

Post by scouse »

My kit for the Stella was a Vango Banshee 200 and Thermarest roll mat. In the top box alongside them I added a N/Face Nuptse jacket for the base camp... snug and war and more comfy in the evening than a bike jacket at 2000m, which actually packs into an old Exped lightweight carry mat stuff sack. Warm enough to kip in with bike trousers on.

We do own Karrimor two season bags that pack to not much bigger than the Nuptse but based on past cold overnight experience at the Rifugio I opted for the Vango three season bag... and ended up kipping on top of it in a silk liner most nights I camped on the journey over.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Peejay

Post by Peejay »

I've been using a Slumit Gobi 3 this year.

http://www.slumit-direct.com/product/Sl ... T-GBI31003

Up in a few seconds. Bit on the large side so wont fit inside a pannier, so inside a roll bag and bungeed across the back. 3 man size so loads of space.
Watch the vid on the above link. Used it all round Scotland and it was up and I was inside, before the others had got there poles out!!
BMW R1200 GS Adventure

KTM 990 R Adventure

Wheresoever you go. Go with all your heart.
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

I use a Vango Banshee for long trips just because it's light and I'm only likely to use it for a quick overnight sleep. I snore like a devil's whore anyway so I always make sure that I pitch up well away from civilisation. If I go somewhere like Ripley I also have my Kyham Biker which gives me loads of extra room and plenty of space to pee in a bottle when I can't be bothered to walk 100 yards to the loos while trying not to look like I'm desperate for a piss.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Actually if there had been two of us it would have been the Vaude Mark III excellent 3 man lightweight and well ventilated 3-4 season tent.

In 2007 it survived a thunderstorm up at the Rifugio with no leakage and two people and all kit including panniers inside the tent and the two bell ends.

They are semi-geodesic so can be pitched without pegs in an emergency and the external frame makes it quick to pitch.

Weighs under 3kilos with the extra footprint and the extra pegs and guys we carry for pegging out doorways etc. to create even more weather shelter. The only thing that lets it down is the pack size - too big for a pannier or topbox but fits ell in a large Ortleib roll pack with plenty of space for the stove and other camp ancillaries like roll mats and stools. Oh and a fold up waterproof picnic blanket... protects the groundsheet and adds a layer to stop condensation in the summer or the "heat pump" effect in the winter.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Alun

Post by Alun »

The Vaude Mark 111 is a fantastic tent - I'm on my second. To give you an example of how robust this tent is, the last time I was out on Kilimanjaro they were the staple of all the tour ops who organise climbs on the mountain. And these tents take a pounding on a daily basis.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Just to add to the mix had someone on another UK based forum start asking questions about these.... which look to be a lot warmer than the average hammock.

http://hennessyhammock.com/sp-motorcycling.html

davsato

Post by davsato »

after just spending a few wet nights camping in the north yorks moors, i must say this bivvy bag would be a bit of a joke. if its raining, how do you get in or out of it, or get anything out of your luggage, or get changed without getting soaked? i had a tent and it was still a bit miserable. and the tent and and sleeping bag didnt take much more room than this and was a lot cheaper
Dave
Alun

Post by Alun »

There are two types of people who pack bivi bags; those who are travelling to areas where pack weight and survival go hand in hand and those who secretly want to be punished for a lifetime of being naughty. Mountaineers fall into the first category and motorcycle riders the later.

That said, I have rode a bike with a bivi strapped to it and, of course, spanked myself when I got home.

There is no logical reason for motorcycle touring with a bivi.
Mark1961

Post by Mark1961 »

Like most problems the answer should be in your planning. Asking yourself the following questions. How long am I going for? Where am I going? Desert, Wales, Norway, The moors, etc How will I accommodate myself? All camping, part camping part hotels/B&B, All hotels/B&B etc. Who is with me? Alone, a partner or share within a group i.e. 1 tent between two etc. What if nothing goes to plan? I.e. bike catches fire. You have to walk out carrying minimal kit. Maybe there are more question you could think of? From this you plan your accommodation accordingly. You may want more than one system. My system takes into account the above questions and consists of: • 2 person tent (can be used without the flysheet in hot climates) • Hammock with military style poncho/tarp • Bivvi bay/thermarest/sleeping bay & liner For me, flexibility is the key along with practicality. This is the only area of my kit list where comfort is very important. The rest of the kit must me multi functional and useful. I would not carry all this on a camping weekend in Wales etc. Mark Here is a useful hammock system.
Adventure motorcycling is a challenge for those who go but only a dream for those who stay behind.

growing old is compulsory growing up is optional!

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”