War with Syria...

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
nathanlee

Re: War with Syria...

Post by nathanlee »

I saw a good point on twitter, which I will paraphrase. Over 10,000 people have been killed in Syria and we've done nothing. Now chemicals have been used to kill a few hundred, we're talking about doing something.

It seems "we" don't care that people are being killed, just how it's done.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

nathanlee wrote:I saw a good point on twitter, which I will paraphrase. Over 10,000 people have been killed in Syria and we've done nothing. Now chemicals have been used to kill a few hundred, we're talking about doing something.

It seems "we" don't care that people are being killed, just how it's done.
I can't see the difference in being "Fragged" to death or gassed, dead is dead, as you say we have done nothing to date, Ah perhaps we are peed off because we did sell them the gas. :pinch:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

samfan wrote:I personally believe that almost all of the conflicts since world war 2 and probably even before that , have been purposely started by the British government and lately in cahoots with America, The agenda that they have is not always clear ,but no doubt as someone has already said that money or asset grabbing is behind it.
Is it warm under that tinfoil hat? <wibble>
Loggy

Post by Loggy »

Should we get involved? Absolutely, categorically NO NO NO...

I have been following the Syrian war with interest and have watched dozens of videos on Liveleak and if you watch some of these where the rebels capture Syrian Army Regulars and then proceed to cut off their arms, heads etc then that tells you enough about who we shouldn't be helping...

There are dozens of Islamist groups in Syria, most of them linked to Al Qaeda... Why the hell would we want to be helping those people for???

We just don't seem to learn anything. The people running our country's are living on another planet. Arab countries by their very nature need people in charge who rule with an iron fist. That's the only way these country's function.

Look at Iraq. When Saddam Hussein was in power the county was more or less peaceful. Once we got rid of him, the country has suffered daily bombings and virtual civil war ever since. Nearly 5,000 people killed in 8 months in Iraq alone. The same goes for Afghanistan. We have been fighting there for over a decade. Nothing has changed. As soon as we leave, the very same people that are fighting the Syrian Government will take over and again we will see women stoned in the streets and people killed for not towing a hard line Islamist view... Then you have Libya, get rid of Gaddafi and the country descends into civil war. The same goes for Egypt...

If these Islamist's gain control of Syria then we will see years and years of destabilization in the region.

We need to stay the hell out of it and let them sort their own problems out.
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Tenere

Toyota Hilux 3.0lt

Army - Bedford MJ Radar Repair Workshop
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

You can almost write a history of the Arab Spring.

In every country, it's the same.

Young, middle-class, idealist, urban, computer-savvy people take to the streets fighting for democracy and freedom against the old dictators.

Naturally, this attracts the sympathy and support of similar people in the west. They can catch up with them on twitter and everything.

Sadly what then happens is the old order gets overthrown and there's whats billed as an election but turns into a sectarian headcount, and some crusty old fundamentalist mobilises a massive vote among the uneducated majority.

Result is another tyrant gets into power, but this time with a democratic mandate.

The previous tyrant has usually kept power by helping minority religious/tribal groups in exchange for their loyalty.

The new tyrant just wants to wipe them out.

If Assad is overthrown, then expect a massacre of Christians and other religious/tribal minorities to be instigated.

The UK had a chance to put the Middle East on the right track at the end of WWI when TE Lawrence and his Arab forces drove out the Turkish imperialists. Sadly the whole thing was then carved up into the fake countries and spheres of influence that are now causing all the trouble.

It's all very sad, and the reason why the UK is not trusted by Arabs.
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Hmmmm I wonder what the US/UK want control of in Syria, there must be a hidden agenda and don't give me that human rights bollx.
I saw a programme the other week about how the French controlled Northern Africa in an effort to plunder their resources with dirty tricks campaigns and outright bribes. We are no different.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

I think that both or all the sides, I bet theres more than 2, have been using dodgy shells etc. Let show them how to bomb/missile/nuke properly, then we can get rid of all "Our" dodgy stuff and blame it on the rebels or Assads army or moslem brotherhood etc.
This world just gets dafter when you bomb someone to teach them a lesson, even though yer aint sure who to bomb to start with
Tony Blair will not like this !!!!!
Somefolk upstaging him as biggest fool ever
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

Definatly not, every prime-minister's seems to want to use the dangerous power they'v been given. Its hardly ever effective and usaley ends up with us as the enemy. No more young british soldiers should die because of some over educated halfwit.
Richard Simpson

Post by Richard Simpson »

Ever since the Falklands (which TBF was not a fight Thatcher picked) every British PM has had to have a war.

This tendency has come about with the retirement of the old guard of senior politicians (Healey, Whitelaw to name but two) who had actually fought in the front line of WW2, and were aware of the true horrors of war.

Apart from a tiny minority of British people,there is now no living memory of what war is like in this country.

And that's why it's so easy for glory-seeking pollies to get us tangled up in other peoples' fights.
moto al

Post by moto al »

Last night i posted, re Syria ,and got my gonads kicked. Moto al, .the word censorship ,comes to mind
image_2013-08-28.jpg
image_2013-08-28.jpg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 768 times
moto al

Return to “THE PUB”