Considering Commute on Royal Enfield, Mad?

The Things We Ride
Rhys

Re: Considering Commute on Royal Enfield, Mad?

Post by Rhys »

Another vote for the cb500 I put 300mls a week on mine, good mpg and built like a brick shithouse, most will do over 200,000 miles.

Mines a 95 M reg with unknown mileage the old jap models are said to be better built then the euro ones
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

Hi there, I was considering an efi enfield until recently,I decided that I wasnt prepared to pay the asking prices for something that needed almost constant tinkering to keep it running sweet. I decided I wanted a cheap bike i.e under a grand. I eventually bought a 2002 er5 Kawasaki for £675 in tidy condition it has done 30000 miles ,I know it will need less maintainence than an Enfield and will get me where I am going.Have a look on Hitchcocks website and people on there will tell you an efi model will do it but it will be running at the upper end of its performance.
peterekins

Post by peterekins »

I quit fancy a big scooter like the suzuki burgman, not very cool but very practical.
leo-david

Post by leo-david »

I think the biggest problem you will have as a commuter is although its a 500cc its only got 28hp so a 110 mile commute will seem awfully long. They haven't got enough go to overtake and get past something safely to get on your way. They are good fun to ride and get a lot of attention but more suited to a Sunday bimble.
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

I think it'll be alright. ACF-50 and a bit of autosol every now and then does the trick. Gorgeous bikes by the way, am very interested in the Trials one myself. It's been 2,500 miles on my W800 so far commuting 200+ miles per week plus all the normal use I give it and the ACF-50 is keeping the rust away no problem and they've been gritting the roads round here for a while now. Was fine sitting at work for 13 hours the other day covered in black slush from the snow we've been having too, not a problem. I kept it in the garage overnight as it was and washed it the next day and it was sparkling. I've even tried it without ACF-50 and just washing it down after every ride, takes 5 mins with the hose I have set up ready for action, and that seems to work too. Sure, it won't be pristine after a few years but as long as you look after it it'll be fine.

Go for it, you know it makes sense, it's hardly a one-of-a-kind bike, parts are plentiful.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

dont be put off by the bike

ive had a 350 enfield for four years now and use it regular in the summer ..its not great in the cold weather .

.the efi is a lot posher but the 350 is simplicity to maintain and runs fine 55 miles each way would be a pain in the ass on the 350 the new 500s seem to have enough performance
quite often i use a school bike a ybr 125 to comute to wigan
6 miles on the motorway at 65 downhill and 55 uphill 60 when level
surprisingly good in traffic with enough zip to filter and accelerate in traffic to feel safe ...i reacon somtimes we think we need more than we do to getabout in city life ...the journey time would be maby two or three minuits more on the ybr than the 650 .. i reallly like riding the ybr

i really like me enfield but that said its not a winter bike ...then again at 700 quid off e bay and 100mpg its got somthing going for it
why not give it a go i think it looks great
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Starbuck

Post by Starbuck »

I guess it all depends on how precious you are over the bike. My XJ is the all round workhorse daily rider and it shows. I keep on top of the maintenance and cleaning as well as fitting a scotoiler and using ACF50. Okay the bike doesn't look bad for 13 years old and over 50k on the clock, but it still looks tired and will never be a show stopper, but I love the bike to bits all the same.

Saying that the bike is comfortable and does good mpg generally so it's used what it's intended for and that's surely all that counts.
Sprockette

Post by Sprockette »

At the end of the day I'd buy the bike that puts a smile on my face (which I recently did) and I wouldn't care what people think/say/have experience with. You seem to be smitten and even if it ends up after ten years or so looking like it's been stored in a pond, you can always get another. Or restore it. :)
mrdelmonti

Post by mrdelmonti »

Cheers guys, seems I've got a lot to think about, might try and get on a test ride. Sprockette I had a feeling you'd be on here saying go for it :laugh:
Diesel Pete

Post by Diesel Pete »

Any bike you enjoy owning is good enough in my opinion.

I used to do a similar commute on a Diversion 600. It was perfect for it as they are cheap as chips, comfy, run forever,have some protection from the elements, have enough go to keep up with and get past traffic, aren't affected by luggage and handle brilliantly. I got to ride one again a few weeks ago as a loan bike while my Tiger was getting its valves checked and within a few roundabouts I was happily wringing the knackers off it as that is how they should be ridden and I couldn't help laughing out loud in my helmet and even took the long way home.

Return to “BIKES”