satnav is dead

The essential art of farkling.
Dr.Jekyll

Re: satnav is dead

Post by Dr.Jekyll »

I am still using a motorbike specific Garmin Quest and its been fine for over 50,000 miles and still going strong.

My question to all the people using CAR based sat nav's - how do you power them? Just taken a look at Mrs.J Garmin nuvi car one an it takes a feed of 4.6 to 5.25VDC - so to use it I would have to plug it into an accessory socket (and not just strip the wires and hard wire to the battery)- is this how you lot are doing it, keeping the car plug?

My problem with this is what if it is raining, how do you keep the car charger lead dry when its plugged into the accessory socket?

Its all very well getting the cheap car option but unless I can work out how to directly power the unit I can't see the advantage.
F800GS 2010 black/orange
mountainwhale

Post by mountainwhale »

I just use my phone in an aquabox, bluetooth directions to a Cardo headset if I want it. I'm currently running Sygic Navigator for road trips, and Viewranger for scoping out trails and interesting places, recording tracks etc. I've also got Backcountry Navigator and OruxMaps installed but haven't had time to play with them much yet, the latter is particularly interesting as I might be able to get my Ozi and Garmin topo maps running on it.

Attachments
SC20120116-195707.jpg
SC20120116-195707.jpg (92.94 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
SC20120116-195356.jpg
SC20120116-195356.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 1934 times
norris

satnav is dead

Post by norris »

Hi Mountainwhale I was just wondering which phone you were using to get directions blue toothed?
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Dr.Jekyll wrote:I am still using a motorbike specific Garmin Quest and its been fine for over 50,000 miles and still going strong.

My question to all the people using CAR based sat nav's - how do you power them? Just taken a look at Mrs.J Garmin nuvi car one an it takes a feed of 4.6 to 5.25VDC - so to use it I would have to plug it into an accessory socket (and not just strip the wires and hard wire to the battery)- is this how you lot are doing it, keeping the car plug?

My problem with this is what if it is raining, how do you keep the car charger lead dry when its plugged into the accessory socket?

Its all very well getting the cheap car option but unless I can work out how to directly power the unit I can't see the advantage.
I have a 12v cigarette lighter/socket thing wired to my battery via a fuse.
The socket stays under the seat, my sat nav car charger then plugs into it and the power lead comes out of the front of the seat, under my tank cover and exits out of the front and up to the satnav (with slack).

When I haven't got the satnav in its cradle the power lead tucks into the fairing to stay dry.
"The distant echo of faraway voices boarding far away trains,

To take them home to the ones that they love and who love them forever......."
herman

Post by herman »

I use a cheap tom tom with thishttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-GPS-Motor ... 1c1a9144c5 and have just ordered this http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php but then I still use paper maps so this is progress for me. B)
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

Dr.Jekyll wrote:I am still using a motorbike specific Garmin Quest and its been fine for over 50,000 miles and still going strong.

The advantage is the cost...you can wire a socket onto a switched feed on your bike or go directly to the battery (I prfere it to be off when the bike is). the sat nav has a mini USB socket on the back, just get a lead with a bike spec plug on it hence no rain probs. You can get them from Gericke for about a tenner and when I'm not using the sat nav I can put all sorts of other stuff in there.

If you're using a bike sat nav you would still have to wire it in the same way.
SimplyExploring

Post by SimplyExploring »

http://www.buybits.com/Default.aspx

is a great site for leads and gps accessories. They do hard wired leads for iphone and mini usb.
East Coast

Post by East Coast »

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321751

garmin 12v hard wired micro usb lead, its handy having micro usb for charging or powering stuff at the handlebars...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SX300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001M09 ... 30-2841133 (hopefully this link works and you can see what im on about) using primative computer right now so sorry about formatting.

jus
:)
GB

Post by GB »

norris wrote:Hi Mountainwhale I was just wondering which phone you were using to get directions blue toothed?
I'm not sure but I think thats where the car based ones fall down, someone will correct me but I dont think they transmit directions via bluetooth to headsets?
Saying that, I broke my original tomtom bluetooth headset in Germany last year and I'll be honest I didnt miss it that much after a few miles. I now have a scala, far superior to the original tomtom units :)
If money was no object it would be a Tripy 2 ;)
Finally back on a GS :D
desertraider

Post by desertraider »

well their is a tomtom rider pro on its way , so unless the dog eats it :whistle: , i should be a happy chap. :)

Return to “ACCESSORIES”