flip up helmets in new ABR mag

Does my ass look big in these?
davsato

flip up helmets in new ABR mag

Post by davsato »

in the new mag bertie simmonds writes about flip up helmets, he says the roof boxer is the only helmet standard tested with the chinbar 'up'. well thats partly wrong and a bit misleading, i think the article maybe a few years old? dont know, doesnt really matter, but i thought;
1. most flip ups are only tested locked down as "fullface" helmets because they are stronger that way. thats why pedantic coppers and PT2 practical test staff go eppy when they see you riding with the face up, they are not EC/SHARP approved like this. (even thought you see cops themselves riding like it all the bloody time....)
2. the roof was the only helmet tested flipped up because it would never pass any fullface test, the chinbar is very flimsy. officially its only an open face helmet.
3. the only helmet tested both full and open faced, so legal either way is the shark evoline.

this is only as i understand things, im happy to be contradicted. i know there are slightly different tests now and a few new helmets coming out with interchangeable chinbars and the like, think givi do one?
Dave
Adrian

Re: flip up helmets in new ABR mag

Post by Adrian »

My Nolan N90S has a locking mechanism for riding with the lid up.
Not sure about the reg's though.
The cops use helmets with the same locking style mechanism for riding whilst in the up position.
davsato

Post by davsato »

but has it been tested in the up position? if not its not legal, you cant have a helmet tested as a full face and then take the chinbar out of the equation
Dave
jkclive1971

Post by jkclive1971 »

Shark Evoline
The Shark Evoline is a new helmet design that picks up where the ROOF Boxer left off. It's probably more functional than a simple flip-up helmet, because the Evoline is designed to be worn with the chin bar rotated all the way back, unlike most/all flip-up helmets, which are not designed to be worn (and are not safe) with the rotating visor in the raised position
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

i concur dr spock

shark evoline is eu approved both ways

i have been told by the vendors of roof at denbigh superbikes the new roof is eu approved both ways .. i like roof helmets but the locking decice is to awkward and need the attention of both hands ..i couldnt do it one handed standing in the shop let alone on the m62 ....pity nice lids too

By null at 2009-03-20
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map

Return to “CLOTHING”