Why shouldn't I buy a GS?

The Things We Ride
minkyhead

Re: Why shouldn't I buy a GS?

Post by minkyhead »

buget of 3k .. touring ..
any proper off road forget it ..
but in that price range you can get a lot of very nice varadero which in my humble is the best touring big trailie out there

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshac

having owned the others if i had 700 mile to do in one hit the varadero would be the fist keys id look for

very little ever goes wrong .early carbies are thirsty
f1s 03 up are much better bikes 270 to a tank is easy achievable at a steady 80
just seen this on ebay ..

i cant believe it will go at 3100 but someones getting a bargain if it does
allow 300 for proper paint and you have a brand new bike
if it dont go up im gonna have to bid meself ..but i fancy there will be a influx of dealers on line tommorow night

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2008-HONDA-XL-100 ... 230b44e855
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
appleby

Post by appleby »

snaphappy wrote:Please dont read as a dig :silly: but

I got back from a 7000km trip to Norway
A mixture of motorway, A roads & back lanes!
Took in some sights!
Did a bit of off road!
The weather was grotty
I would go back out and do it again
THIS IS WHY YOU DONT NEED A GS!

Not so much having a dig as patronising Snappy!

You can go around the world on an Enfield Bullet . . . if you had to!

But would you choose your day off to to go splashing around the Welsh countryside in the November rain on a Bullet?

That is all the point I was trying to make.

Mick summed it up niceley "Seriously Blissfull Ride" and that is just what it is.
A totally infectious, brilliant allrounder that just keeps you out there all day.
That is why there are so many out there!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Had a early speed triple never missed a beat, now got a Tiger 955 4 years old never missed a beat. The club I ride with has basically changed from a GS club and is mainly dominated by Tigers now, go figure. Love my Tiger :kiss: it does everything for me:whistle: cheers Spud ps went to buy a new GS but dealer treated me like shite even though I had the cash on hip so Triumph got my money and I have never regretted it.
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
scouse

Post by scouse »

Redmurty wrote:Had a early speed triple never missed a beat, now got a Tiger 955 4 years old never missed a beat. The club I ride with has basically changed from a GS club and is mainly dominated by Tigers now, go figure. Love my Tiger :kiss: it does everything for me:whistle: cheers Spud ps went to buy a new GS but dealer treated me like shite even though I had the cash on hip so Triumph got my money and I have never regretted it.
Ahhh you can get group discount for recovery then ;)

Funnily enough at last nights meeting we had the two couples who own Harleys in the club mocking the Triumph riders , as it was suddenly realised that over the last year it was only the Triumphs that have broken down on runs and rallies ... ;)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

If you want a GS then get a GS if you buy anything else you will always wonder what all the GS fuss was about and eventually get one.I am now on my second a 08 GSA and would not want anything else. When you first ride one you wont like it, but they really grow on you and you will be really surprised what they can do. No I not rich, retired or anything like that.
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
magwa

Post by magwa »

canazei1200 wrote:If you want a GS then get a GS if you buy anything else you will always wonder what all the GS fuss was about and eventually get one.I am now on my second a 08 GSA and would not want anything else. When you first ride one you wont like it, but they really grow on you and you will be really surprised what they can do. No I not rich, retired or anything like that.
IF YOU HAVE NEVER had a BMW it will take 300miles before you 'get it!'
after that you never look back ;)

my previous bikes (150 plus) include, 100/7, r80/7 (several),R90s,K75,k100,k100RS,
so I got it long ago :P
Live Long

Die Oblong

Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

It took me a while to enjoy the R850R I have and that was after a R80ST and F650 but now I can see why a long travel version would be so good.
Incidentally I test rode a Transalp 650 today just to remind myself what a smaller big trailie would do and found the 200cc drop a huge disappointment on the dual carriageway. It felt like it could be quite handy off road and was good on back roads, even felt controllable when provoking a rear end slide on todays muddy roads.
Unfortunately I didn't have time to test a Varadero but want to go and try even if they may be too expensive.
Getting back on the BMW I felt secure with the weight and loved the smooth torque. It just felt a lot more relaxing to cover ground two up.

Round one to the GS.
Round two - try a Varadero.
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

100/7 jeez was trying to forget mine :laugh: , still got pictures somewhere ;) did many a mile night and day south coast to midlands and back in the late eighties cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Jimbike

Post by Jimbike »

I bought an 1150GS in the end and very nice it is too! I'm looking forward to putting some miles in and going places.
1150GS.jpg
1150GS.jpg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
If you have eaten your breakfast, clean your bowl.
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

Very nice mate..have fun!
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung

Return to “BIKES”