WOW

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Breva

WOW

Post by Breva »

A vintage Brough Superior has smashed the world record auction price for its type by selling for £286,000 at the weekend – a massive £120,000 more than the previous record set in 2008.

The price is believed to be down to this SS100 being one of the best examples of the breed, collectively known as the ‘Rolls Royce of motorcycles’, to come up for auction, being original, fully equipped, in excellent condition, well known to the Brough owners’ club and with a complete history.

The other major success of the sale was that of a 1954 BMW RS54 which sold for £143,000.
Attachments
Brough Superior.jpg
Brough Superior.jpg (90.61 KiB) Viewed 1729 times
scouse

Re: WOW

Post by scouse »

met a guy last year who's Grandfather was the Works manager at Brough and he had found a frame and built one up from parts from Autojumbles and actually had to make some new parts to the old blueprints... He reckoned it had cost him the price of his house just to build it( but as he lived in Chesterfield, you southerners, calm down :) ) but to him it was priceless as it was built in memory of his Dad and Grandad who both worked for George Brough... and it gets used...

21st Sword and Stoned Rally 2009
by Scouse_and_Jules, on Flickr
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Breva

Post by Breva »

This got me thinking about what present day bike would be worth such a fortune in the future, my guess would be the Ducati Desmosedici RR :unsure:
scouse

Post by scouse »

Actually it's Brough's are so purty that I thought I would posyt another pic up... purty purty purty...

Sword and Stoned rally 2009
by Scouse_and_Jules, on Flickr
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

The Brough may well have been known as the Rolls Royce of it's day, but in reality it was an amalgimation of parts sourced from various companies.
Don't get me wrong, I think that they are beautiful machines, and the association with T E Lawrence will always capture and fire my imagination, however if they are the RR, the Vincent has to be the Bentley, IMO the greatest machines ever to don two wheels.
Acheingly beautiful, and cooler than a Penguins pecker.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
RTR

Post by RTR »

Bit of an article on T E Lawrence at Motorcycle Minds although it drifts into the helmet law :whistle:
Riding It Right - Where Did It All Go Wrong!
scouse

Post by scouse »

mark1150 wrote:The Brough may well have been known as the Rolls Royce of it's day, but in reality it was an amalgimation of parts sourced from various companies.
Don't get me wrong, I think that they are beautiful machines, and the association with T E Lawrence will always capture and fire my imagination, however if they are the RR, the Vincent has to be the Bentley, IMO the greatest machines ever to don two wheels.
I tend to get quite blase about Vincents after spending a couple of decades living near Stevenage... seen every model , and some in every day use locally . Quite a few owned by the families of or actually by the guys who built them.

Local Classic shows and runs were full of them. First time I went to Ashby Follville for the classic nights when i moved up to Derby, everyone was clusted around the only Vincent there as it was so rare to see one... me I was getting excited by all the models of Triumphs' and BSA's I hadn't seen before :D

mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

scouse wrote:
mark1150 wrote:The Brough may well have been known as the Rolls Royce of it's day, but in reality it was an amalgimation of parts sourced from various companies.
I tend to get quite blase about Vincents after spending a couple of decades living near Stevenage... seen every model , and some in every day use locally . Quite a few owned by the families of or actually by the guys who built them.

Local Classic shows and runs were full of them. First time I went to Ashby Follville for the classic nights when i moved up to Derby, everyone was clusted around the only Vincent there as it was so rare to see one... me I was getting excited by all the models of Triumphs' and BSA's I hadn't seen before :D
Move towns then! Lol,
Oddly enough the most [ Meriden ] Triumphs that I've seen in daily use was in and around Coventry, while talking things Triumph my favourite would be the X75 Hurricane, or the T160V, the yellow and white, burgundy being a little ahem... common, Lol.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R

Return to “THE PUB”