For those who don't always wear bike trousers.

Does my ass look big in these?
davsato

Re:For those who don't always bike trousers.

Post by davsato »

of course it is. as long as you had an approved helmet on properly thats what the law says and thats as far as their mandate goes. they mustve been bored. i know they have to clean up the mess but dont come over all nanny state, do they stop every shell suited kid on a twist n go with no mirrors? no. do they stop every golf gti with blue LEDs in the wipers? no.
Dave
africajim

Post by africajim »

They are this summer for sure, under the codename of operation Zenith

"Inadequate or inappropriate use of protective safety equipment, primarily poor footwear and trousers leading to injuries which could be substantially reduced if more suitable protective / safety clothing was worn."

Quoted from Grumpians finest's website;

http://www.grampian.police.uk/Advice.as ... ;34;16;457
Honda, the power of dreams.
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

africajim wrote:
They are this summer for sure, under the codename of operation Zenith

"Inadequate or inappropriate use of protective safety equipment, primarily poor footwear and trousers leading to injuries which could be substantially reduced if more suitable protective / safety clothing was worn."

Quoted from Grumpians finest's website;

http://www.grampian.police.uk/Advice.as ... ;34;16;457
OMG...

And people ask me why I left the UK...

Nice one, government:
Don't, whatever you do, try and reduce the number of crashes. Why don't you bring in a nanny law just so that when we have a crash you worked so little to prevent, we "won't hurt" ourselves as much...

I still think anyone wanting to take their car test should do a mandatory 6 months on a scooter: A few more drivers might then demonstrate a bit of defensive driving and be more considerate to bikes.
Alun

Post by Alun »

Analysis of previous collision history over the last five years identifies;

* 86.8% of motorcycle riders involved in local KSI collisions reside in the Force area.
* Collisions predominantly occur between the months of April - October, with September has recording the highest level of collisions followed by May and July.
* During the peak months of May and September, 'Loss of Control' is recorded as the primary causation factor for collisions.
* Over the past five years, Sunday is recorded as the day which consistently sees higher levels of motorcycle collisions.
Wow, they've sure had the best brains in Britain working on those stats. And I can't think of a better use of tax payer lolly than producing a report that essentially concludes that most motorcycle accidents occur during the times when most motorcycles are on the roads. :blink: :blink:
davsato

Post by davsato »

and that little gem of a report cost the locals a fortune in council tax. i hope theyre happy with it.

i dont advocate riding in a leopardskin thong and a helmet and nothing else, but the law says you can if you want and anyone who tries to stop you is an interfering jobsworth. how would they like it if you came up to them in a restaurant and gave them a lecture about their blood pressure and although the menu is full of lovely stuff, they must only have a salad?
Dave
africajim

Post by africajim »

Grumpians finest took possession of two white R1 Yamaha's which they use to cruise the local favourite bike routes, just to give local bikers lectures on how to ride properly!
I wouldn't really like to try a thong, leopardskin or not! I think my ass would look big in it! I don't mind a salad occasionally though, but damn you can't beat a good steak! But being Scottish I frown upon restaurant prices! Puts me off my food!
Honda, the power of dreams.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

The saying goes "dress for the crash not for the ride".

I hate that saying, and wear what I want, to suit the conditions and the ride.
If its hot and I want to cool off, then I will ride in shorts and T-shirt. If its hot and I want to have fun in the turns, then I wear some kit.
Most kit is made to prevent road rash from sliding, and will do little to prevent bone injuries. So when I'm not wearing any kit I try to avoid sliding as much as possible.:side:

I crashed once wearing a pair of jeans and smashed my upper tibia/fibula to peace's.
Friends have asked "do you wish you were wearing your leathers?" My answer is no, as they would not have prevented the injury, but they would have been cut off. So I saved myself £300.:P
luke66

Re:For those who don't always wear bike trousers.

Post by luke66 »

I understand how you feel but i must admit i rode out in jeans today and got about 30 miles and stopped at a bike shop and bought some ixon textile trousers, cause i aint spending all winter with cold legs!
I must admit that they are very warm... Even if they dont look the coolest B) .I think i am getting to the age that i dont care what i look like as long as i am warm.:)

luke
strimstrum

Post by strimstrum »

I once did a 4000 mile trip through the Baltic States with normal jeans. Tut, tut some may say but I didn't set off with the intention of crashing and I didn't.

I have also just come back from an 8000 mile trip through France, Italy, Greece and right across Turkey to the Iranian border and back again without wearing gloves. It wasn't because I wanted to be macho it was just so bloody hot that it was really comfortable to ride with naked fingers.

My personal opinion is that if you are willing to take the risk, however foolish it may be to others, then it's your choice and you have to face the consequences. So I think a trip to the shops in cheap trousers is totally OK
RTR

Post by RTR »

OOOh I am so glad I just joined this forum, sanity rules on the issue of protective clothing, my heart is uplifted.
Riding It Right - Where Did It All Go Wrong!

Return to “CLOTHING”