Plans for North West Spain

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
ErikGustav2

Plans for North West Spain

Post by ErikGustav2 »

I write this to keep my self busy, keep the dreams alive and to get feedback/ideas from all your experiences.

First some boring background
I had planned for a trip in NW Spain last year.
But it couldn't be done. Before I went to SA.

General about my view of planning:
It is more about research and preparation.
No plan will ever be used as planned.
But the planning process involves research and learning.
The plan is nothing, the planning is everything.
Interesting things shows up. You get information from other travelers and locals. Weather. Things happens...
But with a plan as base. It is much easier to improvise.
And to do not miss the nice places.

Now
I expected the SA tour to be the last trip before a long period of surgery and recovery. The Grande Finale and a dream trip for me,
Due to Arthrisis in both knees
Starting with surgery in September this year.

I will spend the summer in Sweden, doing some evening tours. I hope
But I can still ride, even it hurts.
So maybe I can do a mountain trip in September in Spain (France ?), and hope for surgery in October.

Planning

=> I am planning/preparing/researching for a mountain tour in in NW Spain . And also for the Pyrenees.
If it will be this year, I do not know. It could be another year. But at least, it gives me something to dream about during difficult times.
baskien Road Book.jpg
baskien Road Book.jpg (84.89 KiB) Viewed 289 times
The idea for NW Spain started with a chapter in a book about good MC tours in Europe.

The route passes through Picos de Europa. And continues to Santiago de Compostela (where I have spent a couple of days earlier. So nothing new. But I never made it to Fisterra. And I follwowed the coast via Bilbao-Santander and never went up in the Picos) But the more I read about Picos de Europa, I come to the conclusion that I not only want to not only pass through. But do more riding in that area.

Picos 2.jpg
Picos 2.jpg (87.84 KiB) Viewed 289 times
So next version of the plan in this areas looked like the route in this picture above.
More riding. But still new accommodation every night

I now have the idea to instead set up a base camp in this area. And spend 3-4 days doing day tours in Picos de Europa.
Potes is the candidate.
Camping La isla Picos de Europa or
Camping La Viorna Picos de Europa
There are some clear advantages with this approch:
* I save time every day for packing/unpacking (I will be camping)
* Those day, the bike will be much lighter and easier to handle, since it is unloaded

Picos 3.jpg
Picos 3.jpg (96.64 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Current plans look like the picture above. Rather similar. But with 4 nights in Potes
Yellow= Road to Potes
Blue = 3 day trips. With start and end in Potes (No need to load the bike with camping equipment)
Red: Way through Picos towards Fisterra (And then back to Burgos)

Comments

I would be nice to get some feedback from you that have experience from this area.
What do you think ?
What I am missing ?
What should I skip ?

I plan to use a Suzuki DL 650 XT. That I am used to ride on grave/dirt roads.
We have done 40 000 km together.
So I have no problem leaving the tarmac
Bit it is to heavy (especially fully loaded), has to low ground clearance and the suspension is not up to do hard core off road riding.
And I do not want to unnecessary risks. Mainly for injuries in case of dropping the bike. Traveling alone.

Vaya con Dios

And I have enough problems already with my legs/knees.
(It is lowered 25 mm or one inch for you guys)
Scott_rider

Re: Plans for North West Spain

Post by Scott_rider »

All of the Picos area is a really good ride so I don't think you'll go wrong whichever route you take. I'd say check out the town of Llanes to the north and the bigger town of Gijon also to the north, which are both on the coast but surprisingly close to the Picos Mountains, if you want a couple of days of rest and relaxation. Also, check out a route south of Riano down to the town of Guardo. We stumbled across that area by accident and it was an awesome ride.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Sierra de la Demanda is well worth a look.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Snaf MKII

Post by Snaf MKII »

Two places that we keep going back to, the bufones are a bit weather and tide dependent but always worth a visit, the mining area is worth a full explore and also look out for the canals feeding into it.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Las+M ... ?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jeste ... ?entry=ttu
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Scott_rider wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:33 am All of the Picos area is a really good ride so I don't think you'll go wrong whichever route you take. I'd say check out the town of Llanes to the north and the bigger town of Gijon also to the north, which are both on the coast but surprisingly close to the Picos Mountains, if you want a couple of days of rest and relaxation. Also, check out a route south of Riano down to the town of Guardo. We stumbled across that area by accident and it was an awesome ride.
Yes, all looks good.
So just ride around in the Picos area, on any roads.

I did the coast from France all the way to Algarve/Portugal several years ago.
It was nice. But now I am headed for the mountains
Attachments
bild_2024-05-01_195331783.png
bild_2024-05-01_195331783.png (288.56 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Last edited by ErikGustav2 on Thu May 02, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Snaf MKII wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:27 pm Two places that we keep going back to, the bufones are a bit weather and tide dependent but always worth a visit, the mining area is worth a full explore and also look out for the canals feeding into it.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Las+M ... ?entry=ttu

Las Medulas looks fantastic. It is close to my tentative way from Santiago de Compostela to Burgios.
I will add this place/area

Thanks

Return to “TRAVEL”