KLR 650 ABS base model

The Things We Ride
catcitrus

Re: KLR 650 ABS base model

Post by catcitrus »

Glad to hear you are settling in. I had a matt green KLR 650 when I worked for CAT in Peoria a few years ago. I didn't do much to it and it certainly did everything quite well--including the county dirt roads in Arkansas. I have now bought a second hand F800 GT--same engine as your GS I believe, but with belt drive. Ticks all the boxes for me with full luggage, low seat etc----the engine has linear power and is quite smooth, and getting smoother. I think its been poodled around a bit so needed some exercise. I'm looking forward to some long trips on it. There is quite a F800 community in the US and threads on the ADV forum--so you could go back and get another one out there!
Apophis

Re: KLR 650 ABS base model

Post by Apophis »

So I have had the bike back and have been riding it to break it in and now I am kitting it out for travel
I am finding that the price of things in the UK is just a rip off I am going to list the price in what I paid and then in pounds

So I had the Following Bits from the UK when I moved Sat NAV and Touratech locking bracket Kriega Tank and US 5

KLR 650 $6473 £ 5220
state tax and registration I purchased it in Illinois so had to go to the DMV to do this in Wisconsin and its cheaper than Illinois $551.39 £444.66
that price includes Road tax for 2 years

Crash bars made By Tusk $179 £144
Pannier racks and Panniers and handles also Tusk $565 £455.64
Rear Monokey universal Givi plate $74 £ 59.67
wire spot lights connectors switch and mounts $200 £161

I also purchased Lomo bags for the bike in the UK £40 a pair

the bottles and carriers I had as they attached to my rear box I also brought over from the UK but I did have to By the mounts from Touratech
$55 each $110 £88

so a total so Far on this bike to Buy and prep for touring is

£6612.97p
So total in US dollars $8200 and to Buy what they call the adventure out here is $8199 plus state tax and registration and prep fees https://motohunt.com/l/7912256/2024-Kaw ... enture-ABS

not to bad for Brand new bike kitted out to My speck Oh plus £80 for the USA maps for the Garmin
qfixiif3.png
qfixiif3.png (769.86 KiB) Viewed 539 times
fwlhbx5j.png
fwlhbx5j.png (667.9 KiB) Viewed 539 times
0mal24w7.png
0mal24w7.png (688.72 KiB) Viewed 539 times
I have a few more bits to do on the bike like a better screen for me I am also going to do the Thermo bob Mod before I travel on it as it is one of the Must do Mods on the KLR even for the Gen 3 bikes and once it is out of the factory warranty I will also do the Dohickey mod as well

As these parts are freely available out here and if I ever do return to the UK this bike will come back with me I may as well get the parts and do the Mod's recommended
Every day is an adventure

Return to “BIKES”