Waterproof bike boots.

Does my ass look big in these?
qcnr

Re: Waterproof bike boots.

Post by qcnr »

Ok, N O T what you are asking about, but....
I go for the safety features when it comes to boots. And this was proved to me when I had a simple low speed slide a few years ago.
Had I not been wearing my enduro boots I would have had a smashed leg and ankle, because it was so low speed, the bike simple fell
on my leg. Kept riding afterwards for a few hours, but later admitted to hospital with a fracture, just above where my boots stop.

Now for waterproof just add some sealskin socks or similar. Wet feet are easier to fix than a broken leg/ ankle......
Just my 2p worth.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Yeah, waterproof socks seem to make a large concensus of waterproof opinions.
Safety-wise, yes, definitely need to keep that to the front. Lately I've tended to go for comfort more, but am returning more towards the Safety aspect
This is why I'm going,now, morefor trail type boots for my road bike. Especially as lately I have joined a few rides advertised as Tarmac, but have been mostly muddy wet back country lanes.
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Gary,
The Altberg boots are made to measure
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Blimey, Paul .....
one day ... one day ...
(card maxxed out atm)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The trouble with waterproof boots is...they have a big hole in the top where water can get in, then can't get out.

So you also need waterproof trousers that can go 'over the top'.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I've got some sealskinz socks ... had them for years but never used them, but will try them again. They were too cold for my delicate little tootsies, but i shall persevere . I've also just bought some over-the-knee Creed water proof socks, which I look forward ro testing in some very large and deep muddy puddle, soon.
Trouble is... I know i will sweat like hell in them ... but I'm fed up of cold wet feet on long runs. (I pick my own dry time rides.... but group rides are invariably wet, at this time of year especially).
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

The Richa waterproof boots came today .. Crikey.. so fast for delivery.. can't believe it.
There are a perfect fit, I'm really glad to say. My old (not so old, just poor quality) boots were slippery.. especially when stopped, holding bike up on tarmac, But these Richa grip really well .. everywhere. I would have preferred slightly harder or thicker soles, but they're pretty good. Nice and warm too. The higher taller boot is definitely better,all round, but will see what they are like in the hot .. er .. weather?

I greased 'em up good, like, with dubbin, and felt good. $120 ( that's pounds but no pound sign on this tablet?) ... So had to test drive them. Yup.. as good as they look. Great little day out.

I hope I won't have the weather to test them for waterproofness, lol.

Image1boo by gary boy, on Flickr
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

yep .. I've done it again ..... I promised i might get some trail boots as well as road boots ......

ImageForma b by gary boy, on Flickr

Forma Adventure boots. £179 ... from AT Motorsross.

(Difficult to find, in the right size ...and lower price...... they must be very popular.
It took me 2 days .. I gave up looking, then suddenly they appeared on ebay, somewhere, the next day.)

I didn't really want brown, so I've put black dubbin on them, since this first photo.
Straight away, they were comfortable and I noticed the clips are really easy and secure, to fit.
At first I thought they were nice and tough, but after dubbin and then the obligatory test run, splashing through all the puddles i could find, lol, they became very supple. I could even change gear easily.
I think I would have liked them a bit stiffer tbh, and so more protective.
The soles seemed ok though, well, on my test run, anyway.

But .. the good news.... they are very waterproof.
Hope they stay that way.
I may use them for back road riding too, as they are very supple and I don't think they offer a great deal of off road protection.

Happy with them.
MR X

Post by MR X »

ANY boot is waterproof with the correct socks :D

Return to “CLOTHING”